Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:02 PM

7 posts, read 14,714 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm planning on moving to Charlotte, I've been browsing the threads for info about University City, but still have a few questions.

My husband will be going to UNCC, so we want to live close by. We're looking for condos/townhouses under $100,000. I My understanding is that the area north of 85 and Harris blvd is the safest area near there, but we were hoping to find something walking distance to the college.

I've seen listings for places on Meadow Vista Dr. and other off of E Mallard Creek/Old Concord Rd. How are these areas?

I've also been trying to get info about what the HOA dues are like in the area. Any idea on what kind of range I could expect?

I'd really appreciate any help.
Thanks!
-Cpress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:21 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
I'm a grad student at UNCC, but I live out in Kannapolis (20 min. drive, out in Cabarrus). So, I'm not an expert in housing in the University area but it is my experience that most of the housing within walking distance (well, within a mile or two if that's your definition of walking distance) will be heavily populated with undergraduates living the typical undergraduate lifestyle.

Just wanted to mention this, as you are married, looking to buy a home, and presumably not living the frat party lifestyle. I would just advice to really check out the area before buying, especially on a Friday or Saturday night once school has started, to make sure the atmosphere is something you can live with. Some areas/complexes are fine, others are going to be filled with students renting.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:59 PM

I'm okay with the party lifestyle. I'm just out of college myself, and my husband is getting out of the military, so while we're a bit older than the current undergrads, we're not looking to start a family anytime soon.

We'll check them out in person but, it's going to be hard for us to check out the places in person on party nights because we're stationed in CA, so we'll have to get info through friends in the area, forums, etc to narrow it down.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:17 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Those areas are OK, but kinda isolated and have some crime issues. The general rule of thumb is to stay north of Harris and west of the University. But you're not going to find much there for under $100,000. You might look at Lakeshore Village or Hyde Park and some other condos in that area. But they will be a little over 100K...You could definitely find something for less than that over on Old Concord, but it tends to be a bit run down around there, and there is a lot of public housing mixed in with student housing....If you're looking to rent, I can recommend some places on the N. Tryon side of campus.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:22 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Also, Old Concord Road is not walkable. There is no sidewalk...Harris is basically a freeway, too. The only walking distance condos I can think of are off of University City Boulevard, John Kirk Road or N. Tryon... Alexander Town off Mallard Creek Church, Lakeshore Village off N. Tryon, Colville and Colville II off U City.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:12 PM

Thanks guys, you've given me a lot to start looking at. Just saw a unit in Hyde Park for $105,000 so it's not out of the question.

I've also been looking at University Terrance, but have heard mixed reviews.

I'm hoping that by starting the search pretty early, I can find a good deal, but I'm not opposed to some older buildings or units in need of a little work. Really the convenience and safety of the location are my only two concerns.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:35 AM

18 posts, read 142,598 times
University Heights isn't too far away, plus it's safe and quiet. I don't know the how the buying prices are right now, but when we started renting our 2 bed / 2.5 bath our landlord was also trying to sell right around $100,000. There's also a newer area between UH and the Faires Farm area that I believe starts in the $90s. Sorry, I don't know the name of it off hand.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:52 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Actually, Faires Farms which is conceivably a bike ride from the university (if not walkable due to no sidewalks) has a LOT of homes for under $100k. Most are foreclosures. I have one next door to me available for $106k, but, I am sure that they could be talked down. There are also 3 foreclosures on the street. We have had some crime issues, but, they are pretty much under control now thanks to our community police officers. We also have a Romanian church in the process of being built in the middle of the subdivision!! The houses were pretty much all built in 1989, so, not new, but, in fair shape. A little TLC will help...and, you will get a lot more house for your money than anywhere else.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:04 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,003,805 times
My Dad lives in the condo's on Meadow Vista. He has not had any problems with parties or loud noise. They do have a pool which is nice. Crime is pretty much limited to car break ins. The condo's themselves are well built with some nice touches ex. chair rail milding, cermaic tile floors and nice blinds. Some units have an outside patio area others do not. Some have garages some don't. They are located directly beside shopping and restaurants but it would be a steep walk though. Welcome to Charlotte!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:30 AM

Great! Thanks so much guys. I had looked at the Faire Farms area before, and saw several places I was interested, but was uncertain of the area. Thanks for the review of Meadow Vista. I've seen a lot of nice looking units for sale on carolinahome.com so I'll definately check them out. Even if it does mean getting a bike or a short drive to campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte