Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:11 PM

21 posts, read 103,810 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know there are a lot of people struggling with selling their homes in Charlotte and widely in other areas...but I must vent for a moment. We built our home in 2005-the Palisades was HOT HOT HOT! We have 5br, 4 ba all brick and not to sound silly-but I put blood sweat and tears into having it look like a Pottery Barn catalog. I had it on the market for 8 weeks, nothing. Then changed realtors, whored the price out-got an offer. A LOW ball offer, but nonetheless an offer. It was a short sale at this point and the bank said it was worth $450K! They hired a 24 yr. old agent to do a BPO and included Ashton Oaks in the comps sold which is the Palisades' custom section. Ours would be the ONLY home in the entire neighborhood to have grown 22% in 1 year. Ridiculous. Lost the buyer-home is Active again. HOA dues are due and yet nothing seems to be maintained or handled in a timely manner and now they say were 2 months out from the entire HOA being out of cash to survive. What the heck?? My dream home, that went up in $$$ due to ARM% and lack of appraisal coming back at $450K initially plus falling out of our buyers has us in a hard place.

This community has break-ins, mischievious kids tearing down letters to their signage and homes that won't sell. I have many neighbors/friends that are in the same boat. One just lost his job ($200K salary) and is considering moving back to FL and leaving the house. This doesn't help because BEAUTIFUL homes have been left, foreclose, or look aweful that won't sell. The schools are poor and yet they market this as a fabulous place to be. Does anyone else have a Palisades' opionion? This was supposed to a Country Club and it's been a burden ever since 2007/08 up to now.

I know I sound harsh...and I'm sure 1/2 of it is emotions, but I would love to know if anyone else is struggling out there in Palisades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:27 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielle2213 View Post
Ok, I know there are a lot of people struggling with selling their homes in Charlotte and widely in other areas...but I must vent for a moment. We built our home in 2005-the Palisades was HOT HOT HOT! We have 5br, 4 ba all brick and not to sound silly-but I put blood sweat and tears into having it look like a Pottery Barn catalog. I had it on the market for 8 weeks, nothing. Then changed realtors, whored the price out-got an offer. A LOW ball offer, but nonetheless an offer. It was a short sale at this point and the bank said it was worth $450K! They hired a 24 yr. old agent to do a BPO and included Ashton Oaks in the comps sold which is the Palisades' custom section. Ours would be the ONLY home in the entire neighborhood to have grown 22% in 1 year. Ridiculous. Lost the buyer-home is Active again. HOA dues are due and yet nothing seems to be maintained or handled in a timely manner and now they say were 2 months out from the entire HOA being out of cash to survive. What the heck?? My dream home, that went up in $$$ due to ARM% and lack of appraisal coming back at $450K initially plus falling out of our buyers has us in a hard place.

This community has break-ins, mischievious kids tearing down letters to their signage and homes that won't sell. I have many neighbors/friends that are in the same boat. One just lost his job ($200K salary) and is considering moving back to FL and leaving the house. This doesn't help because BEAUTIFUL homes have been left, foreclose, or look aweful that won't sell. The schools are poor and yet they market this as a fabulous place to be. Does anyone else have a Palisades' opionion? This was supposed to a Country Club and it's been a burden ever since 2007/08 up to now.

I know I sound harsh...and I'm sure 1/2 of it is emotions, but I would love to know if anyone else is struggling out there in Palisades.
Gabrielle, I completely understand your frustration, and I am sorry for what you are going through.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and won't help you now, but the truth is, you bought new construction at the height of it being inflated and way overpriced. My best advice, forget what you "think" your home is worth - and price it to sell based on the comps that HAVE sold. THAT is your home's true value.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:38 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
It seems that much of the frustration is that the bank wouldn't accept the short sale offer and it's basically out of her hands now... In many cases the banks have a realtor do a "drive by" and have them consult on the price. If they think they can get more, then they will deny the offer and hold out. It puts so much emphasis on that realtor's opinion and if they don't have a clue you're likely hosed.

With the HoA collapsing it's hard to imagine the bank being that foolish, but it's got to be a simple case of a tons of short sales and so few people to handle them.

I feel so bad for your situation and wish you the best of luck. =(

P.S. I'm not familiar with this area... where is it?

Old 08-17-2009, 01:51 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,768,687 times
Too much speculation out there for that place. I never "got it". It's beautiful no doubt about that and Rhein Medall (developer) did a fabulous job with the project. Marketing was well thought out and they even won the Auborn (sp?) award/designation at one point for the conservation methods.

High prices, no water access, lack of water front lots deep enough for boats, subpar school scores and ratings all hurt it really bad.

Last I heard is that they (developer) need $75 million to keep going.

MANY locals invested in that project.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:05 PM

529 posts, read 1,203,798 times
Question "Lake Wylie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
P.S. I'm not familiar with this area... where is it?
"Palisades" sounded familiar to me . . . It's a Lake Wylie subdivision just north of the border. There was an infamous street racing crash that killed a few people at the subdivision's entrance recently. Both drivers arrested.

To the OP: Help me understand: The $450K appraisal was more than the lowball offer, but less than the amount owed?

Old 08-17-2009, 02:58 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
Your situation stinks. Almost everyone who bought into a new neighborhood during the end of the boom is going through that. People should look at buying a home as a long term investment. That is part of the cause of the whole bubble situation. Did you say you had an ARM too? Tsk Tsk. Yet another cause. I am sorry you are in such a bad position, but you probably need to stick it out. BTW, anyone who googles "The Palisades" will now be directed to your post. Watch what you say about your neighborhood if you want to sell!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 03:35 PM

182 posts, read 440,233 times
My wife and I looked at Palisades and were close to pulling the trigger. It really does look great, no doubt. We thought the HOA dues were a little high and the country club dues were REAL high. I'm quite surprised to hear about the petty crime and the HOA funding! Wow. Reflection Pointe in Belmont is suffering, as well. Sorry about your situation, but you will most likely have to ride it out.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:37 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Sounds to me that the banks are going to ride these out.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I sometimes am slow and didn't understand your post.

Are you saying you bought w/ an adjustable rate mortgage, can no longer afford your home, need to sell it . . . and are going into foreclosure? I apologize if I got things mixed up.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:47 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
I had noticed the large fountain at the front is usually not running anymore, and had wondered if it was a hint of any cash crunch problems for the HOA.

It never did make much sense to me to live there, when one could just drive a little farther, cross the lake - and escape CMS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte