Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:14 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,397,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Is 2.50 the maximum it could go up?

My point is that it may not be as crazy as you make it sound to pay a little more now, however you'll have the piece of mind that you won't be facing a steep rate jump in case things don't work out to your plan.

I know you've done the research, however you never know....something to think about (piece of mind)
More accurately in 7/2012 the rate is based on LIBOR and the rate will adjust to 2.250 above LIBOR. The maximum increase from year to year is 2% and rate will not go over 9.125%.

There is no question we will move when kids go to college, we don't need big house to start and wife want to live either downtown or Hilton Head. We have never owned house more than 5-7 years. We have been in current house for 5 yrs so this will be longest tenure home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 10:47 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,058,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
I have said this many times, Thank you Ani--unfortunately there are those on here who just happened to not have the unlucky hit like others did and like you said by no fault of their own. It is unfortunate that those who have not had the bad luck has to just be completely negative and believe everybody has problems because they were not smart enough to do the right thing. BTW, I am hanging very tight. We have already had three houses go to auction in our neighborhood and two short sales as well as two rental units but we are still hanging strong!!!
Is buying a home and home ownership worth all this that you are going through?

I don't own a home and never had the strong desire to like others, but hearing lots of stories like yours makes it seem like it isnt worth it. Am I wrong?

Old 08-27-2009, 12:26 PM

104 posts, read 177,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Your last sentence hits the nail on the head in regards to answering your Why question. It depends upon the ARM. Many homeowners are shocked to find out their assumptions on how and how much these things will reset when it happens were completely wrong. This is especially true of ARMS that had a lot of discounting up front.
Then quite honestly they deserve it. It's called READ THE CONTRACT before you sign for $100k+. DUH. And get your own copy.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:56 PM

21 posts, read 103,910 times
Oh yes... a quick note for all the people who lost their sympathy for my situation...

I became a REALTOR 1 year ago-BECAUSE of my situation. I was tired of feeling un-educated about housing and predatory lending. I took 90 hours of class at night WITH a full time job to get licensed because I didn't want this to happen to me again and so that I can do true research of a neighborhood myself for the future.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,558,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielle2213 View Post
Oh yes... a quick note for all the people who lost their sympathy for my situation...

I became a REALTOR 1 year ago-BECAUSE of my situation. I was tired of feeling un-educated about housing and predatory lending. I took 90 hours of class at night WITH a full time job to get licensed because I didn't want this to happen to me again and so that I can do true research of a neighborhood myself for the future.
GABRIELLE: I hope things will fall in place for you. Maybe you should consider checking out a different lender? You may get a better answer. Just a thought I had while reading back over some of these posts.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:33 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,741,916 times
Quote:

You don't need a piece of paper or a "license" to get educated. It does open some doors if you belong to the NAR, however most information is available and out there if you just do your own research on the web and talk to people....

Old 08-27-2009, 07:41 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,220,692 times
Quote:
Oh yes... a quick note for all the people who lost their sympathy for my situation......
I commend you on getting education, there is nothing wrong with that. However you are asking for sympathy for not demonstrating, IMO what used to be called good old common sense. I suppose it isn't really that common now or we would not have so many people who bought far more home than they can afford and didn't have any contingency plan should things go wrong.

I grew up in the days when math was still done with a sheet of paper and a pencil but even then, people could sit down and figure out the mathematics of buying something they simply can't afford. With today's electronics, internet and instant access to anything you need to know, it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to figure out what purchasing something for $450,000 really means. Most people in the USA simply can't afford it. Of course one first has to be willing to ask the question.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:01 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,268,226 times
Just curious. Does anyone have any information that would suggest that the situation in the Palisades is any different from other, similar neighborhoods?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:58 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,397,723 times
I don't think you can take a broad brush that other similar neighborhoods are facing the same situation. I've read on this forum about problems in Providence Downs (South?) but I believe their problems were due to different circumstances. I live in a neighborhood with over 500 homes in Weddington/Matthews area, the development started in 2004. There are probably 3-4 foreclosures that I am aware of to date. Most homes are $350k-750k range. Very strong HOA with >$200k in Homeowners reserves. Neighborhood has top shelf ammenities as does Palisades. I consider this very stable neighborhood, and desirable.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:00 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,806,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Just curious. Does anyone have any information that would suggest that the situation in the Palisades is any different from other, similar neighborhoods?
Dave I think a majority of high end new construction neighborhoods are seeing similar fates. This was the market that was most over-inflated and is having to make the most adjustments, though fortunately there are some exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte