Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,638 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a good resource for Wills, Power of Attorney, etc? Prefer North/Huntersville or Uptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 01:40 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,638 times
Aww come on, is no one planning for the death or serious injury?

Old 08-21-2009, 02:16 PM

26 posts, read 70,098 times
have you looked into all the online options legalzoom etc? They are very good. Also ...(I'm not a big fan) Suze Orman has a very complete package that covers living trusts, wills, PoAs etc etc etc ... That I was just looking at to create a revocable trust, and it was quite good. don't have any attorney recs in town though ..

B

Old 08-21-2009, 02:52 PM

62 posts, read 219,019 times
If you're looking at a simple will and other documents, try Quicken Legal. It's simple. Just go through the interview and answer the questions. Print out the documents. Go to a notary and get them witnessed and signed and you're done. Send a copy to your executor and file one in a safe deposit box.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
No recs for you but a suggestion. Based on what I dealt with after my mother died, it is vastly simpler if the same person is named as health care power of attorney and executor. I also had a regular power of attorney so I could have sold her assets to pay for her care if I needed to.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:13 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,621 times
Personal Legal Plans - Our Will

I just had Personal Legal Plans over this week to write everything up for me. it is a local, Charlotte based company and it is similar to LegalZoom, but more "personal" since they send a Rep to your house to get everything done. It was VERY affordable.

I highly recommend them.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:32 PM

182 posts, read 440,195 times
FYI : Writing your will on a napkin is legal in NC. It's called a Holographic will. However, if your estate is large or complicated and has many possible parties, get an attorney to draw the documents up. Otherwise, get ready to spend time in probate court having everything contested.

NC is very particular about "who" can draw or provide documents for another party, it's considered providing legal advice and it's against the law. If you're not an attorney or the person you're dealing with is not an attorney and is providing you legal documents, you're taking a risk. If your documents get contested by any party with standing before the court, you will have wished you never took a shortcut. If you need a good attorney checkout: www.martindale.com

[SIZE=2]NC Gen Stat. § 31-3.4. Holographic will.
(a) A holographic will is a will
  1. Written entirely in the handwriting of the testator but when all the words appearing on a paper in the handwriting of the testator are sufficient to constitute a valid holographic will, the fact that other words or printed matter appear thereon not in the handwriting of the testator, and not affecting the meaning of the words in such handwriting, shall not affect the validity of the will, and
  2. Subscribed by the testator, or with his name written in or on the will in his own handwriting, and
  3. Found after the testator's death among his valuable papers or effects, or in a safe-deposit box or other safe place where it was deposited by him or under his authority, or in the possession or custody of some person with whom, or some firm or corporation with which, it was deposited by him or under his authority for safekeeping.

[/SIZE]

Old 08-22-2009, 09:01 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,621 times
Personal Legal Plans contracts with a local law firm here in Charlotte so real lawyers draw up the papers.

Personal Legal Plans - Our Will

Old 08-30-2009, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,234 times
Having recently gone through the death of ex mother in law(good friend), all I can say is be very careful. She had made her son durable power of atty., and health care poa, and when it came down to bare bones, none were recognized by funeral home(although papers said he had the power to decide what to do with remains) or cemetary. She laid in the funeral home for 9 days because her other 2 children wanted something other than HER wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte