Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:43 AM

10 posts, read 27,354 times

Advertisements

my head is spinning. i think i am headed in the right direction and bam....something gets in the way. my husband and i are trying to relocate to charlotte from ireland. we hve found that it is a great comprimise for the two of us. him being from ireland and me new jersey. lovely homes, a bit of land, nice communities, yet all the conviences of america....and on and on. you would think that as an engineer and an elementary school teacher that we could nearly go anywhere. and on the internet job sites it seems the same but when i look on here it seems to be a lot of doom and gloom. no jobs no jobs no jobs. when is going to swing back!! is there any light at the end of this tunnel. or are we headed from real bad to even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 08:56 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbabm View Post
you would think that as an engineer and an elementary school teacher that we could nearly go anywhere.
This is not a good market for engineers. There are very few open engineering jobs in the area right now.

Teachers have recently been laid off in the metro area.

I'm afraid the Charlotte area may not be the best job market for you at this time.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:58 AM

14 posts, read 25,510 times
I moved from New York four month ago. I'm also an elementary school teacher. Let me be honest. There are no teaching job here!!! I'm on my way back to New York. Sorry!

Old 08-20-2009, 09:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Engineering firms have laid of a lot off employees and some large national companies that have had offices here have either closed the branches or are down to skeletal operations.

Our state budget has made it necessary to cut back on teaching positions. However, that is in flux. Just keep applying and checking out specific websites - i.e., those of the companies themselves (for engineering) and the various school district websites for openings.

Forget stuff on national "job hunter" websites . . . the listings are often old or just phishing. And with recruiters - just play it by ear. Some are trying to get applications in for their files and are posting "general" listings that make it appear they have jobs when they don't (or they have already been filled).

If you don't have to move right now, keep plugging away w/ research. Things may be better in both your fields in 2010 - so patience is the key.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:47 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,505 times
There was a news story this morning stating that CMS is hiring teachers again. Seems they got some more money and now can afford more teachers. Though they did state that CMS will be taking their time rehiring teachers.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,900,464 times
Not sure if you're aware that this area has 50,000 people move here per year. It isn't that the economy is bad, it is that we have too many people in the job market. Engineering shouldn't be a problem. No offence but elementary teaahers are a dime a dozen. But, you will eventually get a job if you have a good resume. Are you currently living in the U.S. or Ireland? If in Ireland, where?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:08 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,556,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
There was a news story this morning stating that CMS is hiring teachers again. Seems they got some more money and now can afford more teachers. Though they did state that CMS will be taking their time rehiring teachers.
They said on the news last night that they were re-hiring 110 teachers back. Idk if there will be new positions or if all the teachers who were laid off are getting their jobs back? What if they moved or found another job?

You just never know w/ CMS! LOL. I'd keep checking their website.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:15 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Engineering shouldn't be a problem.
But it is. The engineering job market is VERY thin at the moment. As it is my field, I keep tabs on the market. It's not good!

Old 08-20-2009, 11:24 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Not sure if you're aware that this area has 50,000 people move here per year. It isn't that the economy is bad, it is that we have too many people in the job market. Engineering shouldn't be a problem. No offence but elementary teaahers are a dime a dozen. But, you will eventually get a job if you have a good resume. Are you currently living in the U.S. or Ireland? If in Ireland, where?
Mmmm-a dime a dozen. Do all elementary school teachers in the US have Batchelors degrees? How long is their training? I know a US teacher who came to the UK and had to work as a classroom assistant for a period of time while she did extra training as her qualification wasn't sufficient in the UK.
I also believe that it is possible to work in NC as a supply (ie as and when needed) teacher without qualified teacher status -is that correct?

Old 08-20-2009, 02:16 PM

10 posts, read 27,354 times
Qualifications and experience for me is not an issue as I have a BA, Irish Recognition, and 6+ years experience. I have also have gone through the check list to have get my license in NC (as I have one from Jersey already) and all is in order. But I do know that the market is dim at the moment. I figured my husband would be able to find something and I would wing it till I got something. But time is on my side in some ways...and we wont actually begin to make our move until Feb. March next year as we are still going through the green card process with my husband. So fingers crossed the market will change by then. Thanks for your words of encouragement!! We will continue our journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte