Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:55 PM

403 posts, read 878,539 times

Advertisements

We have been collecting "eyeglasses" (prescription, reading & sunglasses) at our little business (4031) for several months now....for Urban Ministries.
They have a reading club...and there are people that just don't have the money to buy new...so by doing this, others can see and read more clearly. Recently, because of our customers generosity....we were able to deliver over 120 pair....it was like Christmas was coming early.
This Fall/Winter season we will be collecting gently used and new blankets and dental products.
We are trying to give back....and even if we can't join others in their attempts to do also....at least something is being done in a small way...from a small business.
Everyone should be able to help some organization with something that they have......themselves, time, or materials. Trust me....it IS worth the effort!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 11:03 PM

The address for the collection of eyeglasses is 4031 S. Blvd, Charlotte, NC...Sorry about that people...that is for anyone who may have some used glasses that they no longer want...and don't have a place to take them. You can also take them to Urban Ministries. Thank you!!

Old 09-11-2009, 04:08 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,353,696 times
What if the prescriptions are slightly wrong and cause them to go blind or suffer accelerated macular degeneration? HMMMMMMMMM?????
I've heard of some places (not saying yours) that have a 'patch and go' mentality when it comes to needy persons. They would just give them anything and not give a damn whether everything was in order.
I'm sure your organization isn't like that because I've driven by there before.
But there are some shifty places that ride the backs of the needy like a 500 pound man jumping onto a foal and after the foal has taken its final gasp , they eat it in a communal feast - never mind the hoofprints from the seething mother that have replaced their eyes - naaaah , they just want to prosper and flourish at the expense of others. LOL!!!
BTW , if you find this offensive , I apologise!!
Good Luck in your endeavours!!

Old 09-11-2009, 04:55 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,709,093 times
^^^^ I have been involved in a program of free glasses in another country. The glasses were gathered in the U.S., sent abroad to a "working partner" in the program. On the receiving end volunteer doctors examined the patient, the glasses had been tested (for prescription), and given out.

Of course mistakes can happen but one can use those to their advantage. For example, when I crashed into a car in front of me I immediately told the police officer where I got the glasses and he said. . OK you're good to go I understand". lol

Old 09-11-2009, 10:05 PM

Since we work over fifty hours a week, our collecting of eye glasses at our business was a way to at least do "something for the less fortunate. I read an article in The Observer (Dannye) many months ago, that stated that there was a "need" for eye glasses....since there were people at Urban Ministries who were not fortunate enough to have any type of glasses to be able to read....much less join the Book Club.
I would rather give something that is requested and needed....than to sit back and do nothing.
I really don't take any offense to what was said...because I feel that the details were not known. What I would like to ask is.........would you go out of your way to "not" give a freezing person a coat, just because it might be dirty? Would you not throw a drowning person a life preserver, just because the rope "might" be too short? By going out of your way for others......you are "giving" them HOPE.....and sometimes that is all that they have.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:07 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Sylbeth, your attitude is exactly what is the basis for the "What If" campaign today.....I really hope that the local news stations broadcast something about it...it is a collaberative effort between churches & businesses...and growing!!

They are already planning a Spring event to be bigger & better!

Old 09-13-2009, 11:12 AM

chicagocubs.....Thank you......I hope that things went well with your groups endeavor (9/12/09), and that you got the exposure that you wanted and needed. Perhaps, I will be able to call on your group later on as the weather changes with items that I will not be able to handle. The eye glasses are more portable for me and my "now" situation. I may start trying to find a "Cleaners" that might want to donate theirservices for cleaning coats, but right now...not sure of how many I will be receiving. I do have a source in Chapin, SC that would gladly do it, but I would rather find one here in Charlotte....to take care of Charlottes needs.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:11 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbeth View Post
chicagocubs.....Thank you......I hope that things went well with your groups endeavor (9/12/09), and that you got the exposure that you wanted and needed. Perhaps, I will be able to call on your group later on as the weather changes with items that I will not be able to handle. The eye glasses are more portable for me and my "now" situation. I may start trying to find a "Cleaners" that might want to donate theirservices for cleaning coats, but right now...not sure of how many I will be receiving. I do have a source in Chapin, SC that would gladly do it, but I would rather find one here in Charlotte....to take care of Charlottes needs.
Please contact Ashely Fazal at Mosaic church:

Church Office:
11925 Sam Roper Drive
Suite B
Charlotte, NC 28269
Office Hours: Monday - Thursday 9am - 5pm, Friday 9am-12pm
Tel: 704.875.3660
Email: info@mosaicchurch.tv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte