Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 12:26 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I am not a fan of small planes - most airplane accidents happen in them as opposed to big jet airliners. You just hear about and remember the big jet airliner crashes more because of how many people can die on one big plane. But small planes go down a lot more often. I just pray he had time to make his peace with God before he went down.
I hope so, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 12:41 PM

201 posts, read 670,068 times
Quote:
I am not a fan of small planes - most airplane accidents happen in them as opposed to big jet airliners. You just hear about and remember the big jet airliner crashes more because of how many people can die on one big plane. But small planes go down a lot more often. I just pray he had time to make his peace with God before he went down.

While you are praying, please also keep his two amazing, wonderful sons in your prayers as well. It's just so, so sad they have lost their father.

Last edited by cmhousesearch; 09-11-2009 at 01:12 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 12:43 PM

22,317 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Beck didn't sell the dealership to Sonic at all. The deal was never finalized as it was being tied up in legal battle with MBUSA and Sonic Automotive, hence never being full done. Hendrick aquired the dealership from Beck himself for about $23 million. Beck was then going to continue to run the remaining of his fathers dealerships into the ground..How do I know this? The ex bf used to work for Beck at the MB dealership.

Last edited by himain; 09-11-2009 at 01:08 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 01:23 PM

182 posts, read 439,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
FOX Charlotte:: FOX News @ Ten| Charlotte Businessman Skipper Beck Dies in Plane Crash (http://www.foxcharlotte.com/dpp/news/top_stories/Charlotte_Businessman_Skipper_Beck_Dies_in_Plane_C rash - broken link)

Charlotte Businessman Skipper Beck Dies in Plane Crash
Skipper Beck Dies in Single-Engine Plane Crash

Updated: Friday, 11 Sep 2009, 1:00 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 11 Sep 2009, 12:43 PM EDT

Rock Hill, S.C. -
It has been confirmed that Charlotte businessman Skipper Beck was killed this morning when his single-engine Cirrus Cloud SR 22 crashed at the Rock Hill/York County airport this morning around 7:15am.

A statement received from the family of Mr. Beck reads as follows:

The family of William C. "Skipper” Beck Jr., 49, received confirmation from the York County, S.C., coroner's office that Mr. Beck died this morning after his single-engine plane crashed upon takeoff from the Rock Hill York County Airport in Rock Hill, S.C. Mr. Beck was piloting the plane himself en route to Teterboro, N.J. There were no other passengers. The family asks that the public and media respect their privacy during this very difficult time."

Takeoff and landing are the most critical phases of flight, due to pilot work load. However, it doesn't sound like Skipper deployed the ballistic recovery parachute that is a part of the Cirrus airplane models. Those chutes can be fired at very low altitudes as a last resort. Blue skies, Skipper

Old 09-11-2009, 02:58 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
Quote:

This is true. I was in a private jet twice. Never again! I don't care how nice and luxurious they may be. Both flight, between NY and CA, rocked, rolled, up and down, the ENTIRE seven or so hours long. Gimmie the big planes, please.

Sad story though. You never know when it's time to go.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:03 PM

Default Big plane, small plane...

Quote:
A quick response to contributing factors to airplanes accident

Small planes have a higher accident rate because:

1. There are many more (numerically) small planes than big airplanes, so they will have inherently higher numbers of crashes than larger planes.

2. Pilot training (the biggest factor of all) or lack thereof is leading cause of why small planes crash with more frequency. Pilot training is costly and staying current on advanced aerospace issues, normal and emergency flight procedures on a specific plane requires significant amounts of dedication and money. Generally, private owners don't invest in as much training as Commercial pilots, so there will be a lack of experience, currency, knowledge and experience.

3. Pilot, operational training and experience differs between a Cirrus and "big plane" is truly like comparing apples and oranges. They are both fruit, and planes have similarities but there are more differences than anything. Thus, the training and dedication to the professionalism to the science and art of flying can be quite different. That's generally speaking, and not a definition of any one pilot or flying category.

4. Small planes are capable of flying in environments than big planes are not designed for, such as, grass strips in the middle of jungles in undeveloped countries. Non-standardized airstrips and airspace exposes plane and pilot to different and or higher levels of risk instead of big planes.

5. Maintenance: If a plane is owned by a private person or entity, one can only hope the maintenance is in full compliance. The flip side to this is, several airlines are also guilty of skimping on maintenance, as well. So this is not an isolated issue for small planes only. In fact, my experiences with well maintained airplanes were owned by small entities, not just airlines.

A quick reply to the bouncing around in small airplanes, this has so much more to do with the altitude and weather conditions than the size of the plane! High and low pressure systems, convective activity and winds aloft dictate how smooth a day will be. Generally, the higher in altitude the smoother the flight will become. However, some days flying at low altitude can be just as smooth; just depends how far you have to fly that do day, too.

Some days it's smooth as silk and you fly like rock stars, and some days its bumpy bumpy bumpy and putting the ol' girl on the runway safe and hard is a priority vs "greasin' it on" smooth. I thought this little primer might be useful for you folks, enjoy!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:24 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamwow! View Post
A quick response to contributing factors to airplanes accident

Small planes have a higher accident rate because:

1. There are many more (numerically) small planes than big airplanes, so they will have inherently higher numbers of crashes than larger planes.

2. Pilot training (the biggest factor of all) or lack thereof is leading cause of why small planes crash with more frequency. Pilot training is costly and staying current on advanced aerospace issues, normal and emergency flight procedures on a specific plane requires significant amounts of dedication and money. Generally, private owners don't invest in as much training as Commercial pilots, so there will be a lack of experience, currency, knowledge and experience.

3. Pilot, operational training and experience differs between a Cirrus and "big plane" is truly like comparing apples and oranges. They are both fruit, and planes have similarities but there are more differences than anything. Thus, the training and dedication to the professionalism to the science and art of flying can be quite different. That's generally speaking, and not a definition of any one pilot or flying category.

4. Small planes are capable of flying in environments than big planes are not designed for, such as, grass strips in the middle of jungles in undeveloped countries. Non-standardized airstrips and airspace exposes plane and pilot to different and or higher levels of risk instead of big planes.

5. Maintenance: If a plane is owned by a private person or entity, one can only hope the maintenance is in full compliance. The flip side to this is, several airlines are also guilty of skimping on maintenance, as well. So this is not an isolated issue for small planes only. In fact, my experiences with well maintained airplanes were owned by small entities, not just airlines.

A quick reply to the bouncing around in small airplanes, this has so much more to do with the altitude and weather conditions than the size of the plane! High and low pressure systems, convective activity and winds aloft dictate how smooth a day will be. Generally, the higher in altitude the smoother the flight will become. However, some days flying at low altitude can be just as smooth; just depends how far you have to fly that do day, too.

Some days it's smooth as silk and you fly like rock stars, and some days its bumpy bumpy bumpy and putting the ol' girl on the runway safe and hard is a priority vs "greasin' it on" smooth. I thought this little primer might be useful for you folks, enjoy!
Nice post....

Old 09-11-2009, 08:05 PM

SHAMWOW - terrific post! Thank you so much for sharing that info!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Just thought of something when considering landing in small airports and on strips . . . is there some source that lists all the out of the way airports, private landing strips, etc? I have come to realize there are a lot of small air strips tucked away out there . . . and am curious if some source notates them all.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just thought of something when considering landing in small airports and on strips . . . is there some source that lists all the out of the way airports, private landing strips, etc? I have come to realize there are a lot of small air strips tucked away out there . . . and am curious if some source notates them all.
Thank for compliments. Information on restricted, private, military, local, regional and major airports are quite easily available. Small local/ or grass strip information is available, usually. Most times, it's a private owner, so a phone call might help one get the fine details for a flight plan. Try www.airnav.com , it's a fun place to check out airport info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte