Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 05:04 AM

7,125 posts, read 11,735,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Well troll or not, OP has succeeded in putting people at loggerheads with one another.

I'm running out of money because I have no income but have been spending plently since I moved here

Wonder where the money from the business went?
Why not plough it into another business as soon as got to Charlotte.
Surprised so much empathy from posters here,( post is rather cleverly put though) OP seems to have been spending irresponsibly and also broke the law.
I don't see this as a genuine post.
Now just suppose for a moment if you're wrong, what would be your advise for the OP as the subject tread is" begging for work."? Not money, work.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:10 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,557,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Now just suppose for a moment if you're wrong, what would be your advise for the OP as the subject tread is" begging for work."? Not money, work.

Any ideas?
I didn't suggest he was begging for money.
I suggested that the post was fabricated , maybe I didn't make that clear.There are too many "leading" points that IMO are designed to do exactly what they are doing on here.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:51 AM

203 posts, read 497,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGuy2009 View Post
The reason for this post was to vent my frustration, and to see if some greatful soul (a Charlotte business owner/hiring manager/good samaritan) might see my plight. I have not been under this much pressure in my life.

Why would someone start pointing out a spelling error.
Why would someone complain about the words I choose you use.
Why the instant paranoia that I had bad intentions?
Why would someone think I have a different id on this forum?
Why would someone critisize that I wanted to thank the person that is praying for me? They left the message as something called a "reputation" message so there is no way to reply to them directly.
As a business owner why do you think I would get any kind of unemployment bennys?

I moved here because I met so many kind people here when I vacationed years ago. So far I have only met angry and mean people.
If this is legit then I apologize on having fun on your part.

Not sure why you wouldn't just reply back to the DM and say thanks...so it sounded a little suspicious.

So what business were you in? And why'd you move to Charlotte without any money?

Last edited by Gregory P; 09-18-2009 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: irrelevant statement...

Old 09-18-2009, 05:58 AM

203 posts, read 497,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
This is a common word used in business communications because it is safe and inoffensive. Try using "this dude" in a business email.
Thanks for the education, fellow.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,656,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory P View Post
Thanks for the education, fellow.
My fellow posters, we need to groom our style a bit and be more welcoming to a resident in need.

So what county are you living in, CharlotteGuy? That would help me with job suggestions. I realize you named yourself CharlotteGuy but since there are few rural areas here . . . I assume you live outside of Meck.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:18 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,041,365 times
Was also wondering to the OP what was your business prior to moving here?

Old 09-18-2009, 08:34 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,764,651 times
If, and I repeat if, this is a ligit post, it might help if the OP noted what type of job they are looking for and what their background is. I don't recall seeing that information.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,656,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
If, and I repeat if, this is a ligit post, it might help if the OP noted what type of job they are looking for and what their background is. I don't recall seeing that information.
"general business" I believe was the info he gave

Old 09-18-2009, 10:44 AM

4 posts, read 10,453 times
Charlotteguy,
As others have suggested, its always a good idea to have a customized resume for each position you apply for, rather than a generic one you use for all positions. Sending electronically is the first step, then follow up with a paper version and a handwritten note in the mail. This will get attention. I moved up to Charlotte in early August with my husband. I did not have a job and made finding a job my full time job. I have started working with a temp agency and have been bringing in money through temp work. I am now under serious consideration for a temp-to-hire position. This is less than 2 months after moving here. I recommend being proactive with an employment agency (or MANY employment agencies) because there are opportunities there. A chance to do temp work will at least bring you in some money, and then as I mentioned is the case for me, there are temp-to-hire positions too. Plus, you make invaluable contacts this way. Good luck to you, its not impossible. Just hard.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:50 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,799,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGuy2009 View Post
Due to some unique circumstances, I was able to make a 15 year dream come true and I was finally able to relocate to Charlotte NC: a more moderate climate....I can pursue my outdoor hobbies longer through the year, I caught the Nascar bug around 2000 and now I am addicted, and that Southern Charm.

I met a fellow online (we share the same hobby) and after talking awhile and letting him know that I was interested in moving to his area of the country, the next thing I knew the house right next door to him opened up as a rental. I was in the process of closing a small business I was operating so timing was good.

So there I was, living my dream in a newer smallish house just outside of Charlotte a little bit out in the country....talk about heaven and waking up every day with a big smile.

Now comes the problem. Not only can I not find employment, I cannot even land an interview. Its going on 4 months now, closing in on 600 resumes and applications have sent. I have exhausted the few contacts that my neighbor has, I have contacted every employment agency in the area, I have dropped off reumes in person, I have visited pastors in large churches for help, I have cold called, I have followed up on applied positions up to a dozen times with no luck, I have tried to network with others and they just walk away.

I have a 4 year degree in general business and many years of professional experience and management behind me. I have applied for basic customer service type positions, not a single interview. I am only guessing that they see a bachelors from a major university and think that I just want that job as a stop gap.

I have applied for education and experience appropriate positions with zero results. On top of this I have had several unexpected and downright
strange expenses come up since I have been here. My pet, after 8 years of perfect health since born, got sick and required a $1000 surgury. I got a seat belt ticket. I have not had a ticket in 15 years. I have a perfect driving record, but he felt it necessary to pull me over just because I didn't have the belt on at that moment.

I'm running out of money because I have no income but have been spending plently since I moved here. All I want to do is work. Daily I go to the job boards, Career Builder, Monster, Craigs List, and there are dozens and dozens of open, advertised positions in Charlotte and the surrounding areas. I submit to all of them but nothing. I have had my reume redone by "pros" 3 times since I have been here....no help.

I have groomed myself to be "easily employable" i.e. professional appearance, good education, a true business focus, healthy lifestyle, etc.

Now at a point in my life where I have a wealth of professional experience, I can't even land an interview even though there are plenty of positions advertised, and companies daily have turnover, whether it be through promotion, death, firing, etc.

ALL I WANT TO DO IS WORK.

Sincerely,
CharlotteGuy2009
I feel bad for you, but you picked the WRONG time to move.Next time, take the state of the economy into consideration first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: