Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:38 AM

10 posts, read 25,758 times

Advertisements

We are another family moving from LA to NC...looking Union County. I hear the schools are really good so I guess I should be concerned about high tesion lines, power plants and sewer plants right? I hear word about a new ppower plant at New Town Road and Wesley Chapel Rd. What about Flood Insurance? Is this like Earthquake insurance in Cali...option to get it or take your chances? I got the insurance...from the Midwest! I want .75 acres+, a basement, and 5000+ sq feet. What subdivisions are known to have the best amenities? How is Providence Downs? Does anyone have links to youth soccer programs for an 8 year old boy that is REALLY good? I would also like gymnastics programs in Waxhaw, Weddington, or surrounding areas. Is there alot of stuff to do with kids over the summer? My children have lived in LA for 18 mos. and you couldn't ask for a more entertaining atmosphere. Please help...moving July 07.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 10:53 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times
Default Sorry, we're full!

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Waxhaw View Post
We are another family moving from LA to NC...looking Union County. I hear the schools are really good so I guess I should be concerned about high tesion lines, power plants and sewer plants right? I hear word about a new ppower plant at New Town Road and Wesley Chapel Rd. What about Flood Insurance? Is this like Earthquake insurance in Cali...option to get it or take your chances? I got the insurance...from the Midwest! I want .75 acres+, a basement, and 5000+ sq feet. What subdivisions are known to have the best amenities? How is Providence Downs? Does anyone have links to youth soccer programs for an 8 year old boy that is REALLY good? I would also like gymnastics programs in Waxhaw, Weddington, or surrounding areas. Is there alot of stuff to do with kids over the summer? My children have lived in LA for 18 mos. and you couldn't ask for a more entertaining atmosphere. Please help...moving July 07.
Not another one....LOL! Well, OK. Almost every one of your questions has been asked multiple times before. I might suggest that you spend a little time reading through the threads (it will take a while...LOL), but there is some very good info in here. So, it appears you have already figure this much out.

Union County Schools are good - YES. Go here and click on the links for the various schools. http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/schools/schools.htm (broken link)

High tension power lines do run through parts of western Union County.
Unsightly, but not caused any problems that I'm aware of and I've lived near the one on Crane Rd most of my life.

Wesley Chapel has just added a new substation. Close by neighbors are not happy about having it near them, but those of us downline are happy to have electricity, so it is a "growing pain" thing.

Sewer plant off Providence Rd by the Cureton subdivision is grossly over capacity and those folks are having issues with odors.

Flood insurance - well, I think if you look at the flood zone maps and stay clear of flood zones, you should be OK, there. I haven't ever felt the need for flood insurance here. There is a thread about this.

Basements aren't real common here, but I think you will find a few. Lots written here about basements vs. bonus rooms.

Haven't seen any negatives on Providence Downs, that I can recall. You could probably search out Providence Downs on here for more info.

Tons of threads about sports and recreational activities for kids (soccer, dance, horseback riding, etc.) http://www.unioncountysoccer.org/

Union County is a great place to live...approaching capacity, though.
Couldn't we interest you in, say Cabarrus County? LOL!

Old 05-03-2007, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the insight...I realize I am asking what everyone is asking. Alot of the threads on housing are a different price range. I appreciate the advice and links!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:41 PM

85 posts, read 362,196 times
How about a 4br 3.5bath all brick custom home with 5250sqft (including the basement). Main floor has 20x20 great room w stone fplace, split floor plan with 18x16 master with 8x14 closet, masterbath has Jacuzzi tub and sep shower with his and hers shower heads, kitchen has custom cabinets with granite counters and 13x16 brkfst nook.......three bay windows in dining, great rm, and master. Garage is oversized at 26x33 w three bays.
Basement contains 18x26 theater, 13x16 guest quarters with full bath and walk-in closet, 20x20 rec room with bar and fplace, 14x26 gymnasium, 10x14 safe room (steel reinforced concrete filled block walls), and a 10x10 wine cellar......and a 4x7 gun safe with steel reinforced concrete filled walls, 8" concrete floor and 24" steel and concrete ceiling!
Sitting on 4 acres of secluded woods with walking trails throughout. A gazebo in the middle of the trails.....that's visited by a buck and 4 doe on a regular basis...and two families of raccoon.
All this for less than $500k.........dirt included!
But wait, there's more!!!! If you call within the next 15 minutes....... just kidding.....the house isn't finished yet, but we are scheduled to move in around July. Then we get to start on the underground pistol range!
We're originally from Buena Park, CA, but left there in 75 and haven't looked back since! You'll really like it here when you find your niche....it's a great place to live.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the HUMOR in a less than humorous search!

Old 05-03-2007, 04:19 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
We moved from Pasadena 2 years ago.

Dawn

Old 05-03-2007, 04:41 PM

I have mixed emotions about leaving. Was worried about moving here, but found that I love it. Not a great atmosphere to raise middle school to high school age children. Kids grow up fast here...my 8 year son's best friend has a cell phone and text messages his friends. Weather...the best!

Old 05-03-2007, 05:45 PM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times
www.charlottesoccerclub.com
www.charlotteparent.com

Old 05-03-2007, 06:47 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
Also check out www.wcwaa.org for sports leagues -- they are run out of optimist park in Weddington.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the sports links. My son is skilled soccer player and is use to playing summer camps, fall league and spring league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte