Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2007, 03:37 PM

31 posts, read 125,490 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm considering moving to Concord and would like any info that you can provide about the town. Please tell me your likes, dislikes, good/bad experiences, info about the middle and high schools, and an idea of how long it would take to get to/from Charlotte in rush hour traffic. Is there anything to do in Concord, or do most people go to Charlotte for entertainment? If you have a few minutes, please give me info. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 11:05 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,638 times
Most the people I see at work that commute from Concord are usually smiling in the morning. Either they have an easier commute or they are happy.

There's a very nice hospital out there, exit 60 off the 85 has awsome shopping and stuff. I heard the schools are great too.

Humm?? I might look at moving out there. It has some older neighborhoods and even a mayberryish appeal with 2 Starbucks, I don't even know there is a starbucks in many of the other counties.

Kannaoplis is good too.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:38 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifermotes View Post
Hi, I'm considering moving to Concord and would like any info that you can provide about the town. Please tell me your likes, dislikes, good/bad experiences, info about the middle and high schools, and an idea of how long it would take to get to/from Charlotte in rush hour traffic. Is there anything to do in Concord, or do most people go to Charlotte for entertainment? If you have a few minutes, please give me info. Thanks for your help.
Depends what you like as far as entertainment, and your age.
Rush hour to Charlotte is bad. Either way, Interstate, or back roads.

The problem with Concord, is 77 isn't near it, and if you need to get to 77 to get to Charlotte, your in lots of traffic trying to get off 85 to 77. It's actually faster for me to take back roads, most of the time, also simply because there are fewer wrecks on back roads.

Me personally? I'm leaving Concord exactly because of the drive. Too much traffic, too long of a drive. It also depends on what part of Charlotte you work in.
It's a hop skip and jump to the University Area, not so to the Park Rd area.

The schools are very good, in the whole county just about.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:45 PM

Popular Tent Road seems to be a popular location, I know many doctors live out that way.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:15 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,906,794 times
I live in Concord and my wife teaches middle school science here.

There are things we like:
Shopping/restaurants, low crime, our church, good home prices/taxes, nice downtown, very good schools, close to Reedy Creek Park/Nature Preserve, and close to other fun things to do.

Things we're not crazy about:
Growing too fast. May be exciting to some and some growth is good, but I'm afraid we're going to pay a high price later.

Small, very dated public library.

Some really unattractive areas. The Poplar Tent Rd. exit off of I-85 (one of the "gateways" into town) is horriable looking. There's a concrete dumping area on one of the corners. Other areas that need something done; Cabarrus Ave. area, Hwy 29 from Cabarrus Ave. to I-85, Old Charlotte Rd. area. Bad zoning and very run-down. Some things are being done now, but there's a lot more that needs attention. But there are some nice drives as well (Weddington Rd., Hwy. 29 from Pitts Sch. Rd. to Wal-Mart).

Not a great road grid. Many are old farming roads.

The commute to and from uptown Charlotte at rush hour is usually about 25-40 minutes, depending on how the back-ups are.

Harrisburg is another town here in Cabarrus Co. that is very nice.

In all, we like Concord. It has its good and its bad like everywhere else. Good luck!!!

Old 05-05-2007, 03:24 PM

Exit 60 off the I85 is almost brand new - there are tons of nice chain stores, but they are nicer because they are new.

I think the University Research Biotechonology is going to crumple Concord, Kannapolis, and THe counties upwards. Traffic is a bare all over.

There are many easy to get to places in concord, if my husband could just secure a teaching job up there, I"d be gone this weekend. I've heard the schools are great and North East Medical is one of the best hospitals/medical centers in this region.

Good Luck. Traffic is the pitts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte