Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:24 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Note to self: Brian won't go near any mall where tall, rich black men can be found.

95% of NBA players don't look like thugs. Riiiiiiiight. Gotcha. Congrats for missing my point.

I'm not saying that they are thugs but you can't tell me they don't look like thugs. And if a bunch of you congregate anywhere looking like that, sorry, I'm not going near it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 07:30 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times
Define look like thugs, please. Is it corn rows? Tattoos? What exactly makes someone look like a thug?

I see your point, though. Look at this cast of scary looking characters!

If looks could kill...

Old 09-26-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
...if a bunch of you congregate anywhere looking like that, sorry, I'm not going near it.
Psssst. Hooligan is not a black man, FYI. I'm just not inherently afraid of them.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:16 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Please don't ask that question - if you do, someone will turn this into a racial sterotype thread. Or was that the point of this thread?
She made that statement, so it is a valid question to ask for an operational definition of the term used.

Actually, I am curious to know what she meant by that comment...be it race, the way they were dressed, or anything else. Comments like that have always been a pet peeve of mine. I think its because when I was a kid in the 80's - 14, 15, 16 - I know people had a problem with the way I looked: long hair, ripped jeans, Motley Crue t-shirts, denim and leather jackets (and then I discovered punk and thought blue was a good choice of hair dye color). And I got a lot of negative reactions / judgments to the way I looked; comments made to or about me...clerks "keeping an eye on me" in stores and what not. Funny thing was, I may have looked a certain way, but in truth I was a good kid: never arrested, pretty much straight-A's in school...and, looking back, I wound up being probably more highly educated and more successful professionally than most of those "commenters" did when I got to be their age (although that's just a statistical assumption).

Point being - I know that most people judging books by their cover tend to be speaking more out of ignorance than anything else, and its just one of those little things that bugs me. So I'm curious to know what she meant, which I think is a valid point of discussion.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:18 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
This thread is so going downhill fast.
The last few times I went to Eastland (late 80s) it was scary WHITE people that I remember.

And Eastland was THE mall in town forever, then they built Southpark which is still what I prefer.
I remember when the Chick-Fil-A opened at Southpark beside Woolworths (70s).
The Eckerd and Woolworth food counters (yes, way before Food Courts) suffered due to this new food place in a mall.
I do miss the food counter grilled cheese and hot dogs as I used to ride my bike to Southpark as a kid.
I also miss the two cafeterias that used to be in Southpark (Belks and another that I forget the name).

Carolina Place is just too far out for me, not to mention I find the traffic on the weekends horrific.
Southpark just never seems too crowded thanks to multiple arteries feeding the parking lot.

I had to go to Carolina Place a few months ago to turn in my Time Warner Cable boxes since I happily switched to AT&T U-verse.
It was like a different planet.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:19 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Please don't ask that question - if you do, someone will turn this into a racial sterotype thread. Or was that the point of this thread?
No doubt that was the point of the thread. Carolina Place has been getting nicer since the renovation a couple years ago. They have more and better stores.

Some folks don't like that more black people are living in that area now. So, instead of a lilly white mall like 10, 15 years ago, you have some black people walking around. It's telling when people won't tell you what incidents led to their conclusion that the mall was going downhill.

Anyway, Carolina Place is not on its way to becoming Eastland because of its location near the major loop. The hospital across the street will keep a lot of places in business. Unless they get a decent mall in York County, it will always draw the York County crowd. I just don't see people fleeing that area like they did east Charlotte. At least not any time soon.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:22 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that they are thugs but you can't tell me they don't look like thugs.
They don't look like thugs. There - I told you.

Quote:
Congrats for missing my point.
I think Hooligan understood your point very well, he was just trying to be a bit polite in his response. Believe me, your point is very clear.

As to the mall itself - I've been there several times, since I've moved here, mainly due to its convenience. I've never noticed anything that would give me pause to return - its just another mall. I will say I have a preference for South Park over CP, but that is solely based on the selection of retailers and my tastes in stuff that I buy.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
...not to mention I find the traffic on the weekends horrific...
This is will agree with 100%. 51 right there between the mall and 485 is a train wreck.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:34 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
She made that statement, so it is a valid question to ask for an operational definition of the term used.

Actually, I am curious to know what she meant by that comment...be it race, the way they were dressed, or anything else. Comments like that have always been a pet peeve of mine. I think its because when I was a kid in the 80's - 14, 15, 16 - I know people had a problem with the way I looked: long hair, ripped jeans, Motley Crue t-shirts, denim and leather jackets (and then I discovered punk and thought blue was a good choice of hair dye color). And I got a lot of negative reactions / judgments to the way I looked; comments made to or about me...clerks "keeping an eye on me" in stores and what not. Funny thing was, I may have looked a certain way, but in truth I was a good kid: never arrested, pretty much straight-A's in school...and, looking back, I wound up being probably more highly educated and more successful professionally than most of those "commenters" did when I got to be their age (although that's just a statistical assumption).

Point being - I know that most people judging books by their cover tend to be speaking more out of ignorance than anything else, and its just one of those little things that bugs me. So I'm curious to know what she meant, which I think is a valid point of discussion.
It is valid, but quickly turns frustrating(for me). I am trying to ignopre posts with that type of hidden undertone because I find that some people take pride in promoting that type of ignorance and too many people see fit to excuse it. Sigh.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:26 AM

969 posts, read 1,958,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
ALL that is at South Park...and it is much easier to get in and out of.
I know that, but Carolina Place is much closer/convenient to me than South Park. In Atlanta, if you look at the distance between Lenox/Phipps and Perimeter Mall, and Perimeter Mall and Northpoint Mall, they are each about the same distance as Carolina Place and South Park and they are able to have similar stores. Obviously the demographics in Atlanta are much better than here. Anyways, those stores are just on my "wish list", but Carolina Place is still a decent mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte