Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:56 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Another non-fan of Merts here. I work nearby, and only ate there once. Once.
I have eaten at Merts twice. Just too greasy for my likings. A great place for those that need to gain a few pounds or clog up the arteries a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 12:40 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
There used to be a place on N. Tryon - Grandma's Country Kitchen. I don't know if it's still there, but that was GOOD food!! The owner (or his grandma?) was from Jamaica, they didn't use fat or meat to flavor the vegetables, they used Jamaican spices. Their chicken was SO good. Does anyone know if it's still there?

I used to love to go in, and the owner's kids would be in the back room, doing their homework or playing. My son would often play with them. I hadn't thought about that family in a long time!

Old 10-07-2009, 01:27 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
I've seen that place, but thought it was abandonned??? Maybe someone else knows?

Old 10-07-2009, 03:26 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Kinda like Cook House in Cornelius where you can get Banana Pudding as a vegtable
And fruit cobbler too!

Old 10-07-2009, 03:28 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I have eaten at Merts twice. Just too greasy for my likings. A great place for those that need to gain a few pounds or clog up the arteries a bit.
Cookhouse in Cornelius is better than Merts -better choice and VFM and great fish.
Breakfasts are great too.
Lupies is pretty good-but only have 1 "plate" on offer each day
http://www.lupiescafe.com/start.html

Old 10-07-2009, 03:49 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Has anyone been to Miss Hazel's on Sharon Lakes Road? I would love to try it but this is the first I have ever heard of it!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:04 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I've got to put a plug in for #10 on this list - The United House of Prayer For All People. The cafeteria there has some of the best food you'll get in Charlotte

10 classic soul food restaurants in Charlotte - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/508/story/988972.html - broken link)

Go early on Sunday's for the church service and you will see the best Praise Bands in the state.
I like all those places on that list. Sadies is very good, as well as LaWan's. The Chicken Box though would have to be my favorite one of them all.

As for Merts...I have NO idea how that place has stayed open all these years. I've been there several times, too many to count, mostly because friends always want to go there. But I could probably count on "half a hand" how many meals I've had there I truly enjoyed.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:41 AM

99 posts, read 292,864 times
Soul Shack was the best soul food restaurant Charlotte ever had. Better than Coffee Cup on a bad day. Now the best is Sadie. Their food is good and they don't try to kill you with flavorless grease floating at the top of your greens and such or huge portions of lard cooked into everything. The restaurant off Plaza is second. The rest are garbage and should in no way be considered classic soul food establishments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte