Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2007, 06:15 PM

476 posts, read 1,576,409 times

Advertisements

How are the IT job hunts going for everyone wanting to head to Charlotte?

Ours are very slow as before. People are not very good about communicating back.

Best of luck to all trying to find any kind of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 06:23 PM

414 posts, read 1,381,511 times
I will start looking for a job soon once my house is ready. I haven't tested the market but I have looked at the job ads and I have qualifications for most of them so I hope it will not be that hard. Do you have a NC phone number? I plan on picking up a NC cell phone and will put on my NC address on my resume.

What is your IT profession?

Old 05-10-2007, 07:48 AM

93 posts, read 391,489 times
IT jobs are fairly lucrative, but you can usually find one in a large city, such as Charlotte. Update your certifications, too, that way, you'll be more marketable. Careerbuilder.com usually has some good job postings. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2007, 07:32 AM

45 posts, read 206,878 times
It is very slow going Honestly, we can not figure out why. Personally, I think that he is a good candidate for the sheer fact that he can devote his time to the job, with me being a SAHM. And, that he has a proven track record of successful jobs. I am now pushing him to get his CCIE in the hopes that he will be more desirable with that certification. The bottom line is some one needs to like him and need his skills.
I have jokingly told my husband to tell the recruiters that his wife is a Southerner. I am biased here, though. One job that my husband interviewed for and did not get, he did not get it because it was more international than domestic and he has very little international experience. They did recommend him for a more domestic job. But, they are SO SLOW in getting back to him. It could be that we are just getting VERY antsy. I want to move before the new school year starts in N.C. Overall, my husband has encountered nice people, but they are taking their time and we are anxious.

I wish everyone the best of luck! Things happen for a reason and I just keep telling myself that the right job will come along for my husband.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:39 AM

330 posts, read 1,036,740 times
Working with local recruiters that spotted her on computerjobs.com, my fiancee was able to get a great paying IT job in about one week.

Her ability to find a great new job so quickly actually inspires me to want to float my resume around a bit ... but then it hits me that I work from home and I would be nuts to give that up.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:40 AM

22 posts, read 67,890 times
Some advice as I have given others looking in this industry.

To keep it short... be persistent, proactive, and exhaust all options for researching and applying.

If someone is slow getting back to you - follow up with them on your application after say... 7 days. Just express your anxiousness based on your interest in working with the particular company. Also, write good cover letters. Perhaps contact people in the section of the company directly for applying and asking questions. Tailor your resume to fit each particular job... make sure it is concise and fits exactly what that job is looking for.

Hunting for a job should nearly be a full time job in itself. If done right, you will find out who is serious about making an offer and who you could see yourself working with. The idea of getting any job offer at all costs is not always the best. In a sense, you should also be looking for the right fit in a company. If you are doing all the right things, have all the right skills, and a company will still not get back to you after follow-ups over an extended period of time... that may not be the right place to work.

Then again there is always the old saying that there may be something that they just don't like/want from what they have seen. Make the best or your resume and first appearances to whomever you write or speak to. After you get an interview... do all the background research on the job, department, company in general and market yourself intelligently. You should be able to find something in this area if you are qualified, I am sure of that. Best of luck in your hunt!

Old 05-11-2007, 10:29 AM

Great to hear from all of you. We are getting some of our suspected "kinks" out of the resume this weekend and are, as one poster stated, putting in almost a full time effort with this starting on Monday.

Thanks for all of the advice and input.

Best of luck to everyone.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:33 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,391,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklaur View Post
Great to hear from all of you. We are getting some of our suspected "kinks" out of the resume this weekend and are, as one poster stated, putting in almost a full time effort with this starting on Monday.

Thanks for all of the advice and input.

Best of luck to everyone.

Laurie it will all come together..dh starts his new job monday and is leaving 5am in the morning to head to charlotte.. well good about his job but I cant complain he resigned from his job here, took a week off to spend with me and the kids, so Ive had him home all week.. not so good leaving us for 2.5 weeks until our movers come..lol...but he already bought his ticket back to NJ to help with the last minute stuff..My stomach hurts from nerves and anxiety..but all good hang in there and stay positive..

Old 05-11-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post
Laurie it will all come together..dh starts his new job monday and is leaving 5am in the morning to head to charlotte.. well good about his job but I cant complain he resigned from his job here, took a week off to spend with me and the kids, so Ive had him home all week.. not so good leaving us for 2.5 weeks until our movers come..lol...but he already bought his ticket back to NJ to help with the last minute stuff..My stomach hurts from nerves and anxiety..but all good hang in there and stay positive..
You too Staci! I know it will all go by superfast for you. Give hubby our best and wish him luck on the new job. Remember take deep breaths.............

Old 05-11-2007, 12:41 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,391,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklaur View Post
You too Staci! I know it will all go by superfast for you. Give hubby our best and wish him luck on the new job. Remember take deep breaths.............

umm alot of deep breaths...LOL...Im jealous I wish we were leaving too...I know soon enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte