Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:06 AM

559 posts, read 2,115,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
You're a wise and clever woman, Brightcopperkettles!
Thank you, kind poster!

Actually, I'm just a Southern woman, so that question was easy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 11:26 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
Good gracious, honey, do it the easy way! Just call up one of the Southern ladies you have invited and ask her to bring the cole slaw!! Nobody in the South makes everything themselves; everybody brings something, and nobody thinks a thing about it!

And be sure to tell her to teach you how to make the slaw; I guarantee she'll not only do it but will be flattered you asked! If you ask a few more questions, before you know it, you'll be getting more recipes than you ever dreamed of!
Unfortunately, I come from a "I-should-just-do-it-all-myself" blood-line. Really, dumb, I know. But you have all been so very helpful thank you.
I started this thread this morning with the username "Happy2beHere"
a. Because I AM VERY happy to be here, in Charlotte.
b. Because I couldn't log on with my original username.

Thank you all for your wonderful, educational comments.
Now I'm off to get some of that slaw you've all been writing about. I dare not attempt to make any "real" barbecue. I could never live up to legends, especially not when cooking for true Southerners!
Are there any barbecue cook-off festivals held in the area? I'd love to stand around a slow-cooker and "help".

Old 05-11-2007, 11:41 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,814 times
St.Maarten,
Relax, girl! Most of my friends are Southern and do you know what they look forward to when we have potlucks? My Italian (pronounced eye-talian) sausage and peppers! I'm sure your friends don't care about a Southern meal. You are a sweet person to be so concerned about making them happy.

Oh, and if you don't want to make your own tea-get on over to Bojangles and pick some up-don't forget the biscuits!

Old 05-11-2007, 02:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Unfortunately, I come from a "I-should-just-do-it-all-myself" blood-line. Really, dumb, I know. But you have all been so very helpful thank you.
I started this thread this morning with the username "Happy2beHere"
a. Because I AM VERY happy to be here, in Charlotte.
b. Because I couldn't log on with my original username.

Thank you all for your wonderful, educational comments.
Now I'm off to get some of that slaw you've all been writing about. I dare not attempt to make any "real" barbecue. I could never live up to legends, especially not when cooking for true Southerners!
Are there any barbecue cook-off festivals held in the area? I'd love to stand around a slow-cooker and "help".
I dont recollect there any barbecue cook off I guess because it a slow cook item . It would be like saying "On your Mark , GET Set Go and wait LOL"

There is a BBQ festival in Lexington it usually 2nd to the last saturday of October. Variety of music lots of crafts, art, and bunch of these in pictures below all around the city decorated to match the buisness they sit out in front of.

An this sand sculpture artist does a different sand art each year

Sometimes they have decent music artist on one of the stages.
These photos was from last year and Jeff Timmons perform on main stage last year I got alot of photos of him since I was so close to stage

Old 05-11-2007, 02:10 PM

22 posts, read 67,862 times
For those just learning about our idea of BBQ... you'd be amazed at how many people show up to the Lexington BBQ Festival

I am very hungry after reading all of this... I am currently living in the Matthews area and have not found very many places that make the BBQ like I grew up eating. I may have to make a special trip this weekend to visit some family and eat at Little Richard's

Old 05-11-2007, 02:18 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
If you're at Little Richards Saturday night around dinner time, we just might cross paths. We always stop in there for BBQ before heading out to Bowman Gray.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:43 PM

85 posts, read 362,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
If you're at Little Richards Saturday night around dinner time, we just might cross paths. We always stop in there for BBQ before heading out to Bowman Gray.
What are you saying about Little Richards if your next stop is Bowman Gray Medical Center??

Old 05-11-2007, 11:48 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
MMM! Sweet tea! As a lifelong Pacific Northwesterner, I had never had the pleasure of real sweet tea. I got some of that stuff when I came to visit Charlotte, and my husband said it was like watching an addict get started. That stuff is delicious...

Old 05-12-2007, 12:02 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Uh oh, me and DH may have screwed up. We have invited a bunch of folks over for a "Memorial Day BBQ" (that's exactly how we worded it). I sure as heck hope folks aren't expecting lots of slow cooked pork! Looks like we should have said cook-out since we meant everything but pork. Hope we still have friends after this is all over.

SL

Old 05-12-2007, 07:58 AM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times
We had to figure out the exact wayto make sweet tea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte