Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 05:40 PM

154 posts, read 328,401 times

Advertisements

I would love to adopt a dog this spring. My issue is we live in a rental because we just moved here and it does not have a fence! It seems a lot of places require an inspection and that is to see if there is a fence. I live in very large place, have a great schedule and have a great neighborhood with several parks near by to walk a dog but could this fence situation be a deal breaker. I am a little upset
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 06:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I use invisible fence and have no problems unless power is out which is rare since the power underground
The collar will shock her if she tries to leave the back to the front. after a few times she knows her boundaries

You might want to post a sign til your neighborhood is aware

Old 11-02-2009, 06:10 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
good rescues will not adopt to a home with an electrical fence.

most of the rescues will most likely come out , weigh your situation , if you are home a lot
there would be no reason why you could not walk the dog on a leash.

i think it will be up to the person coming out for the home visit.
when we adopted ours a fenced back yard was one of the minor things ,
i think most rescues would not want a dog left out in a fenced area all day anyway.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:10 PM

769 posts, read 2,219,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verrocchio View Post
I would love to adopt a dog this spring. My issue is we live in a rental because we just moved here and it does not have a fence! It seems a lot of places require an inspection and that is to see if there is a fence. I live in very large place, have a great schedule and have a great neighborhood with several parks near by to walk a dog but could this fence situation be a deal breaker. I am a little upset
There are plenty of dogs out there needing homes that I'm sure you can find one that doesn't come with the fenced yard required. To me, it's a nice insurance and helps the dog learn it's boundaries, but as long as he isn't just left out, there isn't any reason that that should be a deal breaker across the board. Check out sites other than Petfinder - like Craigs List, the paper - I've been seeing an awful lot of postings by people who've found/rescued dogs from bad situations and they're just looking for someone who will give the dog a good home. We'll be getting a German Shepherd to foster next week that was left tied in someones yard when they moved - the neighbors saw it and took it in, but can't keep it. Unfortunately, in this economy, this is becoming an increasingly common situation.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:28 PM

55 posts, read 188,277 times
If you adopt from a shelter (instead of a purebred rescue) you can get a mixed breed dog without many stipulations. I have 2 mutts that I love and didn't have a fence when I first got them!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:50 PM

279 posts, read 1,085,600 times
Kudos to you for wanting to adopt! Don't worry, not having a fence is NOT a dealbreaker at all. I volunteer with a beagle rescue and I know that they have adopted to plenty of good homes that did not have fences (and beagles are dogs that you can't necessarily trust unsupervised in a fenced yard as they are known for being excellent escape artists). In fact, my foster beagle-baby's adopters did not have a fence (they were considering it and may have one now, but that did not make me hesitant - the wife worked full-time from home which I really liked). Good luck with it all!

P.S. Most rescues DO require a home visit (mine does) among other interviews w/ the prospective adopters b/c they want to ensure their rescues are placed in great, and hopefully permanent, situations. HVs are done to gauge how well the home is in order and prepared for a new pet, how well the occupants interact with the interviewer and each other and their other pets, if applicable, how tidy the place is (esp. impt. if a puppy is desired so they don't have a lot around to get into and chew on), etc. It's all good.

Last edited by Nina-in-Ashland; 11-02-2009 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: P.S. added

Old 11-02-2009, 07:56 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,765,125 times
you def don't need one to adopt from a shelter. Some rescues will require one but there are def other options to save a loving dog without a fence. Just be responsible, don't tie him/her up in the yard. Responsibility and love means alot more than a fence in my opinion. I've seen many mistreated dogs inside a fence and many loved, happy dogs with no fence. Saving a dog is awesome I have 3

Old 11-02-2009, 08:00 PM

615 posts, read 1,692,932 times
It totally depends on the rescue. A good many breed rescues do require an inspection and a fenced in yard but some don't. The humane societys and local animal shelters wouldn't require a fence either.

Just make sure you get a dog that suits your lifestyle.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:59 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
We adopted from Union County Animal Shelter, no fence required.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:09 PM

628 posts, read 2,077,677 times
I volunteer at the Charlotte Humane Society...No fence is needed and we have a lot of great dogs looking for new homes....Come on by and take a look. you will need to show proof that a landlord will allow a dog on the premises though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte