Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 01:07 PM
amp amp started this thread

519 posts, read 1,515,617 times

Advertisements

This is only one of the designs, but all of them are "traditional" or historical in their details. The community itself has a lot more shared green space, more than any of the other communities that I have seen(besides Baxter which have similar sized lots) The overall look of the community is beautiful even though the houses are close to one another. I honestly felt that other communities were a lot more crowded even though they had bigger lots because there was a lot less in between space. I guess its all in the eye of the beholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 03:29 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
My vote would be Marvin Creek for the space! But that is just my preference. I would hate to be right on top of my neighbor and we keep our 1 car garage as a workshop and park the cars in our 2 car garage. We would never fit in the other places you mentioned.

Also, you may want to consider college. I honestly have no idea if we will live here when my kids get to college age, but if we are here, I wanted them to have the option of NC Universities at in-state prices.

I live 1 mile at most from the SC border (in Marvin), but I wanted NC.

Dawn

Old 05-16-2007, 10:55 AM
amp amp started this thread

519 posts, read 1,515,617 times
Also, you may want to consider college. I honestly have no idea if we will live here when my kids get to college age, but if we are here, I wanted them to have the option of NC Universities at in-state prices.

I live 1 mile at most from the SC border (in Marvin), but I wanted NC.

Dawn[/quote]

So true!! I hadn't really thought of that, but such a good point!

I liked Marvin Creek, but I didn't LOVE it, maybe we should look at it again.

As for space...we are comming from a 2 bedroom condo with 2 kids and a dog...any increase in space will be a plus for us

Old 05-16-2007, 08:02 PM

549 posts, read 2,384,489 times
Lightbulb There are more styles than Bungalows and the typical Victorian.

Duke
That house is a Second Empire style home with mansard roof and a tower. The tower actually is a room you can use as a study obervation etc. These homes were very popular between the 1850's until the collapse of the second French Empire in 1870. Here is an original and I love how much better a house looks with more land to it.

The Wentworth Mansion in Charleston was built in this style.
Cunnane focuses on building homes with in the myriad 19th century styles from ,Bungalows, fisherman's Cottages, Greek Revivals, Italianate, Queen Anne, Directoire, "Low Country" porch over porch just to name a few. All of these styles fell in and out of favor during the 1800's. They are one of the few production builders in the area that can do for example the difficult Chateauesque style of the 1880's without looking forced or aping it.
http://www.mt.crimea.com/yalta/sightseeing/massandra_palace2.jpg (broken link)
These type of homes were favored by the Gilded Era society of the 1880's on both sides of the Atlantic, many were built as "summer cottages". The picture is one of the summer homes of the Tsar Alexander III and his family.

Many homes built by Cunnane Group would look well in Dilworth, Elizabeth, Myers Park and Eastover.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: