Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:50 AM

13 posts, read 11,754 times

Advertisements

I wasnt very impressed with Sushi 101. Didnt seem very fresh. When im eating raw fish, fresh is pretty important. I guess the best i have eaten was from Niko off south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvychltsales View Post
yes sushi 101 off 485 at providence rd. it is near the home depot, awesome place to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 08:51 AM

13 posts, read 11,754 times
Not Sushi! :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Love the Philly rolls. yum

Old 05-14-2007, 09:50 AM

50 posts, read 183,640 times
Rusan is awesome!

Old 05-14-2007, 12:42 PM

549 posts, read 2,384,087 times
I also do not like Sushi 101 for starters it looks more like a fastfood joint. The fish were not looking "fresh" the few times we went. Also the way the rolls were put together in a very sloppy way, like if an amatuer had done it. Sushi is all about small precision cuts while being made. Second they were gigantic in size and were falling apart as the waitress was bringing them to us. And finally they put mayo on my date's roll. I guess they change alot of the ethnic food to appeal to the masses. When the craving for sushi overtakes me and I don't have time to go out to eat; I will go to "Harris Teeter" in South Park and get one of their trays. It's not superb tasting but it's fresh and well made and during peak hours there is a line for people waiting while they are being made. Good enough to fill that sushi craving.

When I want something that nears a Japanese setting and authentic food like you would find in Japan then I would recommend Nakato and Tsukiji Japanese Restaurant both located in Mathews on Pineville-Matthews. The spider roll they did for me was sublime. I used to go to "Mai" alot before they closed earlier this year. A good portion of their faithfull clientele were Japenese and that says alot about their food not being filtered or adapted. Some of their waitstaff were Japanese and it was always nice to see them interact with their compatriot patrons.

Nikko on South Blvd is also another great place to go eat. It's small and can feel a bit claustrophobic for some especially in the evenings when it fills up with alot of people. The sushi is very good does not taste "fishie".

Old 05-14-2007, 01:38 PM

348 posts, read 429,922 times
I personally think Nakato on Pineville Matthews Road is mediocre.

Nikko has a great new chef that started about 4 months ago, who is even better than the last guy. The service is completely solid, and they've come to know my family real well since we go there so often and referred them so many of our neighbors. The place is small-ish, but intimate. And, yes, it does get crowded in the evenings--BUT, I wouldn't go to a sushi place that isn't busy! It means that there is a good turnover of the fish product and ensures it being fresher. Their sushi--particularly the salmon and tuna are divine. The eel is fabulous, and I've never had a bad batch. I've tried every sushi place within a 20 mile radius of South Charlotte in the last 3 1/2 years, and Nikko still wins.

Like any sushi place, there are off days. I can go 30 times straight to Nikko when I get that inevitable so-so day (and it usually happens on a Monday). I've gone to most other places and every 4 or 5th time, I get a so-so batch that just isn't as exemplary as what they usually serve. It's actually important not to get fish on Mondays, since it is the least fresh because the fishmarkets are typically closed.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:47 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx123 View Post
Not Sushi! :P

Philly rolls are not sushi? what is it then? It was under the sushi menu?

Old 05-14-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
I also do not like Sushi 101 for starters it looks more like a fastfood joint. The fish were not looking "fresh" the few times we went. Also the way the rolls were put together in a very sloppy way, like if an amatuer had done it. Sushi is all about small precision cuts while being made. Second they were gigantic in size and were falling apart as the waitress was bringing them to us. And finally they put mayo on my date's roll. I guess they change alot of the ethnic food to appeal to the masses. When the craving for sushi overtakes me and I don't have time to go out to eat; I will go to "Harris Teeter" in South Park and get one of their trays. It's not superb tasting but it's fresh and well made and during peak hours there is a line for people waiting while they are being made. Good enough to fill that sushi craving.

When I want something that nears a Japanese setting and authentic food like you would find in Japan then I would recommend Nakato and Tsukiji Japanese Restaurant both located in Mathews on Pineville-Matthews. The spider roll they did for me was sublime. I used to go to "Mai" alot before they closed earlier this year. A good portion of their faithfull clientele were Japenese and that says alot about their food not being filtered or adapted. Some of their waitstaff were Japanese and it was always nice to see them interact with their compatriot patrons.

Nikko on South Blvd is also another great place to go eat. It's small and can feel a bit claustrophobic for some especially in the evenings when it fills up with alot of people. The sushi is very good does not taste "fishie".

Oh wow my rolls didn't have mayo They were very fresh and put together very nicely or I wouldn't have eaten it. Did you go to the Sushi 101 in the University area?

Old 05-14-2007, 02:51 PM

Any good sushi places in the Steele Creek area?

Old 05-14-2007, 02:59 PM

396 posts, read 1,630,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx123 View Post
I wasnt very impressed with Sushi 101. Didnt seem very fresh. When im eating raw fish, fresh is pretty important. I guess the best i have eaten was from Niko off south.
I agree about Sushi 101. And please note that if you order to go from them...check the order. Twice we've made it home and had to go back for missing fish.

Hey Staci....happy to not cook and go out to Nakato! Hurry up!!

Old 05-14-2007, 04:34 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post
I agree about Sushi 101. And please note that if you order to go from them...check the order. Twice we've made it home and had to go back for missing fish.

Hey Staci....happy to not cook and go out to Nakato! Hurry up!!
That has happened to me rwice @ Sushi 101. The first time I went to Nikko it was AWESOME, the second time the service wasn't up to par and the rolls were cheaply made and not put together well. My wife got sick immediately after eating there. The health score at the one we went to in Ballantyne was like a 92 or something which is really bad considering you get a few points for ServSafe. I'm on the fence on whether to give it a month and try it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte