Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:11 PM

69 posts, read 277,463 times

Advertisements

Just an FYI...

Charlotte Secondary School just started the 2009-10 school year (our third) on Monday, with grades 6, 7 and 8. The 7th and 8th grades are full with wait lists, but there are a few spots remaining for 6th grade. A friend who moved her kids to our school from her neighborhood public school tell me that the classes in CMS are huge and there will be no field trips. At Charlotte Secondary there are 20 kids in a class (80 per grade) and lot of wonderful field trips planned. The staff is amazing, the kids are already learning a lot and it is going to be a great year.

If you are interested, our website is still Charlotte Secondary School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,444 times
We are so anxiuos about what our final choice will be for our rising 6th grader who seems to be ideal for the Charlotte Secondary School...admitted to also the great and very large Randolph IB School...is there any one who can comment on our the students are performing..I read that the school over all for 2008 did not meet AYP goals...I know what a ridiculous measure for such a large decision...we are concerned though since the school is so young..also it appears that there will be another principal change or is the survey for a principal for the upper grades

Old 03-23-2010, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,759 times
Default question about Charlotte Secondary Charter school and new principal

I have my child enrolled there for 2010-2011, but I am worried. I like their current principal, but he is leaving. They have known this for awhile and still don't have a new one. This worries me. They can't hire new staff members for next year till they take care of this. I heard from a 6th grade parent that they have a group in charge of finding a new principal, but that this group doesn't really know what they are doing. I get the feeling they fly by the seat of their pants alot. I also worry about test schores. Are they doing anything to bring up their scores? Do they take the regular EOG that CMS schools take? My son really wants to go there because his friend goes there, and loves the teachers. should I be concerned? Would love feedback.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,759 times
Default question to thathems about The Charlotte Secondary Charter School

Can you help me? You seem to know alot about Charlotte Charter School. I liked the school when I came to see it, but I talked to people in the parking lot when they were picking up carpool, and I had a hard time finding happy parents. They all seemed like the school wasn't as good as it used to be.
What happened this year to make it go down in the eyes of so many parents? Conversation about CSS used to be good, but now seems like there is lots of doubt that stems from all that trouble with the Board of Directors at the begining of the year and they never recovered. I don't know what to do about my son as he is enroled their necxt year. I know they have good teachers. I met them at Open House. And then I took a tour one Saturday morning and my son went with me. He wanted to shadow, but we haven't done it yet. I don't want to go to our CMS school. I guess I need to investigate further. If you have any advice please share. Are your children still there?

Last edited by raisingboys3; 03-23-2010 at 10:56 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,375 times
Can anyone help? I have heard throught the grapevine that Charlotte Seconday School will have a sister elementary school opening august 2011. Has anyone heard of this?

Old 01-18-2011, 04:48 PM

69 posts, read 277,463 times
At this time there are no plans for Charlotte Secondary School to start any grades younger than grade 6. The charter does call for a high school, and there is much discussion about when that will happen.

In response to the previous poster, there were some challenges last year as the school expanded by one grade and added two mobile buildings to the existing building. Having three buildings instead of one was more challenging than anticipated and there were some grumblings.

This year has been absolutely wonderful! We have a new principal who is fantastic, and a lot of good things are happening. It is a great place for kids who want to use their critical thinking and reasoning skills and to experience learning rather than just being lectured to. There are lots of hands-on projects and in-depth discussions. My daughter "graduated" from Charlotte Secondary School last year after 3 wonderful years and I can't wait for my twin sons to go there next year.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,375 times
Default Charlotte Secondary School/Elementary Charter

In response to the last post, thanks! I have a daughter who is attending CSS now. She loves it! It is her second year and she will attend next year. I have to say that CSS is a wonderful school. I really do wish that there was a great elementary charter school for my rising fourth grader. She attends Oakhurst Elementary (CMS) which will close at the end of the school year. If anyone hears about a decent elementary charter, please post. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM

104 posts, read 309,071 times
have you looked into Community Charter School?
Community Charter School Home
There are still open house dates.
They were started by the people from Open Door Preschool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: