Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:48 AM

12 posts, read 13,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
Your first priority should be attempting to procure employment followed by a domicile.
What is your background?
There are some places here that are hiring , but the list of applicants is lengthy.
Had I sufficient space and it was a life or death situation , I'd let you all reside in my apt. Try www.indeed.com. That's how I landed my current position.
Good Luck!!

And for 7-800 monthly , finding a place would be rather easy.
Avoid the north and westsides and you two should be fine.
Thank you so much. I truly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Take it slow and easy...no rush. And don't be deterred by the warnings. It doesn't matter if we're at the apex of a booming economy or in the sag of a recession, the standard warnings always apply: get a job first, make sure you can support yourself when you move, etc. They're just underlined and bolded right now given the current job market.

All that said, MAKE THE MOVE! Plan it out, find a job or two, the rest will settle in. You can find somewhere to live in one day here. There are an abundance of apartments and rentals depending on your part of town. Traffic is a cake walk compared to south FL (my in laws used to live in Coral Springs), so you won't limit yourself to one small wedge of the city just to shave 15 minutes off your drive. The worst drives in town are in the 45-55 minute range...not ideal, but nothing compared to what a lot of other places in the country are used to...so don't let that limit your search areas for where to work and live.

We made the jump from Orlando over 2 years ago and haven't looked back. We knew no one, had no clue where to live...just a will to be somewhere better. Don't let the armchair economists discourage you from making your life better. But on the same note, don't rush in (because we all know who does that...). Plan it out and be responsible about it. Deciding that it's time to leave your current town and friends/family is half the battle. The rest is merely paperwork if you ask me.
This is truly the best advice I have ever been given, and yet I do not know you! I appreciate this more than you know.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
EXCELLENT ADVICE!!! It is not necessary that folks know a single person in a new city. Once you get employed, everything will fall in place and you will meet new people all around you . . . just be systematic about this, as METALLISTEVE outlines and you can do it . . .
What he said was fabulous. Thank you for your support as well..

Old 12-02-2009, 11:10 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,470,063 times
Look out...my head's inflatin'!

Don't forget to use this forum as well if/when you make the move. Let me add to that to also learn how to use this forum...meaning always bring your salt shaker and never make a final decision based on what's said here (neither good nor bad things). Come see it for yourself, drive through those neighborhoods for yourself, stay in a cheap motel for a week and pretend to live here for yourself. This forum can be a gold mine of info, but like real gold nuggets, that golden info can be hard to sort out from the rubble.

Info and advice that I've seen to be relatively accurate and as unbiased as you can get on the internet are on the topics of:
- traffic and commute times
- business recommendations (grocery stores, restaurants, stores)
- mass transit (CATS)
- Things to do/places to see (in town and nearby road trips...for example: mountain drives)
- Local special events (festivals, concerts, etc.)

Topics that straddle the line of being reliable (again, in my opinion):
- Good and bad neighborhoods (along with general parts of town)
- Schools
- Home builder reputations and quality of their product

A good piece of advice (that applies to any online forum or review) is to remember that only the bad seeds typically feel compelled to make a noise about their experience. Very rarely do people who have good experiences want to rant about it. Apartment reviews are the prime example. Only the tenants who had loud neighbors or a bad run-in with the management are going to get online and purposefully bash the place on every available outlet.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 8,559 times
Default From experience...

www.craigslist.org is the best for finding a job and real people who are actually hiring.

Try www.meetup.com to meet new people while doing the things you love to do.

I just remembered some of my friends have had success with www.roomates.com might be better when looking for a place to live.

I agree South Charlotte is a good place to be! You are in the middle of everything.

Last edited by Metro 10 West; 12-03-2009 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Added www.roomates.com

Old 12-03-2009, 06:21 PM

79 posts, read 287,315 times
stop with the no job crap my gosh!!! there are jobs you just might not get your dream job...i am so sick of reading this nonsense!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:23 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,806,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonsandlimes View Post
stop with the no job crap my gosh!!! there are jobs you just might not get your dream job...i am so sick of reading this nonsense!
It's NOT nonsense. MANY of us cannot get jobs in Charlotte right now no matter what we do.

A lot depends on what type of job one is looking for also.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:32 PM

79 posts, read 287,315 times
look harder there are jobs and they are hiring..if you want one they are out there..tough times mean you have to do things you didnt do before..it seems like there is alot of that going on around here..

Old 12-03-2009, 06:39 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,806,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonsandlimes View Post
look harder there are jobs and they are hiring..if you want one they are out there..tough times mean you have to do things you didnt do before..it seems like there is alot of that going on around here..
Yeah, we did what we had to do - we left Charlotte

Seriously, do not lecture me - we struggled for one solid year to stay in Charlotte doing a variety of jobs to keep our heads above water. But at some point you need a job in your field, not just to "get by", and they aren't to be found in Charlotte right now.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro 10 West View Post
www.craigslist.org is the best for finding a job and real people who are actually hiring.

Try Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com to meet new people while doing the things you love to do.

I just remembered some of my friends have had success with Roomates.com: roomates finder and roomates search service might be better when looking for a place to live.

I agree South Charlotte is a good place to be! You are in the middle of everything.
Thanks. I will check out these websites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: