Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
As one who lived during the infamous 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago...the concept makes me shudder...
CHI!!! You were in CHI then!! OMG. It makes me shudder, too. I wasn't there but I was glued to the TV. The tapes still make me sick to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 07:47 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
Troll from Jacksonville, eh?
Lived in Charlotte up until September. I stand by my statement. Charlotte is a good place though.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:23 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
As one who lived during the infamous 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago...the concept makes me shudder...
Indeed, it's, in a strange way, fascinating the parallels of the gut wrenching things occuring in society now that are not being dealt with, as they were then, that led to the events of that convention. Maybe this isn't the best time for this thing to come to Charlotte.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:35 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
CHI!!! You were in CHI then!! OMG. It makes me shudder, too. I wasn't there but I was glued to the TV. The tapes still make me sick to see.
Yep, and, it probably was worse than what was shown on TV. Entire city blocks were burned down and the emotions were so high. It was very terrifying. I was a child, but, I remember one of the blocks that was set on fire was near to my church and as we were driving away after church....watching the block behind me burn....

Old 12-03-2009, 08:22 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Yep, and, it probably was worse than what was shown on TV. Entire city blocks were burned down and the emotions were so high. It was very terrifying. I was a child, but, I remember one of the blocks that was set on fire was near to my church and as we were driving away after church....watching the block behind me burn....
Dear Lord - that is just horrific. Yes, I was a kid, too and it terrified me. In fact, it would be years b/f I even wanted to go to Chicago, as those images left such awful memories. (You know I love CHI now - I say this only to explain how traumatizing it was to even see the images - can only imagine how it was to live there at that time).

Charlotte could not begin to handle (financially and manpower-wise) the upheaval that will most likely be going on at the next convention. The country is already starting to seethe over this Admin's policies (and I am not being critical here - just stating what I am seeing from BOTH sides of the aisle).

I personally do not want to see the 2012 DEM or GOP convention held here. It would be a very foolish thing if it happened. The convention needs to be in a much larger city with more law enforcement and better transit system.

As I said earlier - if they want to be in the South, I would go to ATL. Or Miami.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:55 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,219 times
I lived in Boston during the Dem. Nat. Conv in 2004 and it was a horrific mess. They thought it would generate money but it didn't. They closed the major highways into the cities so pretty much everyone took vacation from work during that week and left the city. They allowed random searches on public transit so many people didn't even feel like taking the T.

Small business lost a ridonculous amount of business. The city was a ghost town.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:51 AM

210 posts, read 604,152 times
Wait, do people really think that the 2012 Dem convention will be like the 68 Chicago convention, whether here or anywhere else? Wow. I just don't see it, and I hope I'm right.

As for having it here, if the cost/benefit makes sense, why not? The Olympics is not a good analogy -- cities hosting the Olympics spend years and an absolute fortune building stadiums, arenas, nadatoriums, parks, transit, etc. Although a convention requires lots of police overtime, crowd control, etc., it's nothing like hosting the Olympics.

Here's the report on the economic impact of Dem's convention in Denver last year:
http://www.gwu.edu/~action/2008/chrn...nverimpact.pdf

$266 million regional economic impact, $133 million of that direct. Also says that security costs were covered by a $50 million federal grant.

Here's the one for the Republican convention:
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/fea...act/report.pdf

Old 12-03-2009, 04:22 PM

58 posts, read 127,531 times
Default Political Convention

Having just moved from Mpls/St. Paul where the last Republican Convention was held it was generally noted that local business did NOT receive a bump. Everything was fenced off, businesses close to the convention site basically saw lots of police activity, but no one ducked into the stores. Hotel business did well as expected, but with so many private parties not a huge restuarant increase was noted, also convention goers stuck to the arena. We did walk around and it was excellant entertainment though with the cable news networks and parade/demonstrators.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:56 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
makes sense with all the flaming liberals moving to CLT from the Northeast.
Ultra conservative and from Ohio. Kthanx.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:01 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Do we have enough hotel rooms in Uptown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte