Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 AM

186 posts, read 605,268 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm a local physician and was called in to the ER on Thanksgiving night....long story short I got a speeding ticket (first one since I was a teen). I was going 17 over (77 in a 60, I was on I-85).

Apparently, in NC if you are speeding >15mph over the limit you have to go to court?!?!

Regardless, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a attorney that can handle this sort of thing? Is that normal to have an attorney for this? I'm scheduled to work on my court date (Dec 22nd) and I can't swap out of my work shifts.

Any suggestions? I guess you may have to PM me as we can't post rec's directly on here.

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:44 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,774,210 times
Check messages.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:07 AM

157 posts, read 791,472 times
DM sent

Old 12-04-2009, 09:24 AM

4 posts, read 13,199 times
This attorney is excellent!

George Laughrun
Goodman, Carr, Laughrun, Levine, Murray & Greene, P.A.
[url=http://www.gcllm.com]Goodman, Carr, Laughrun, Levine, Murray & Greene, P.A. - Charlotte's Premier Law Firm![/url]

Old 12-05-2009, 01:11 PM

876 posts, read 3,796,885 times
why do you need an attorney? Show proof that you were called in to the ER under an emergency situation and that ticket will end up getting dismissed. You don't need an attorney for that.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:16 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,472,744 times
I have to ask why being called to the ER should be a free pass to disobey the speed limit? Is it not best to arrive in one piece, able to help out than to arrive in an ambulance yourself?

Old 12-05-2009, 01:28 PM

999 posts, read 4,657,419 times
I got caught doing 16 over in Meck county, at court, at 9 am on the nose, they called for all those who wanted a "speed reduction" and said to get in line on the left, got in that, didn't even speak, just handed my ticket to the young man (likely an attorney, just graduated maybe?) at the end of the line and he scribbled on it and made it 5 over, paid my fine and left. He and his co-worker appeared to do the same for everyone, nobody spoke, just handed over the ticket. You could likely have a friend go for you since there was no speaking involved, then it shouldn't even cost you anything (but the price of the ticket), but if you have the cash an attorney would do the same but likely cost you double.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:45 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,871,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
I have to ask why being called to the ER should be a free pass to disobey the speed limit? Is it not best to arrive in one piece, able to help out than to arrive in an ambulance yourself?
I dont think he asked for it to be a "free pass". Rather, he asked for an attorney to help him fight the ticket. Being stopped and ticketed is not the same as being found guilty. In this great legal system of ours, you still have the right to confront your accuser, as well as to have your case heard by a judge (or jury of your peers).

Truthfully, having worked in the ED, I have met very few officers that would even write a ticket for a doctor/nurse, etc. Must have been a crappy night for the trooper in question...

Old 12-05-2009, 02:59 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,225,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspoon View Post
Hello,
Apparently, in NC if you are speeding >15mph over the limit you have to go to court?!?!....
This is because this is considered a misdemeanor in NC so you have a criminal charge against you, not a traffic offense. This is why you have to go to court to defend it.

As the others said, it should not be too difficult to get the charges reduced to under 15 then it's just a fine and court costs. If you are lucky and the judge tosses the charges, you don't have to pay anything.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:30 PM

876 posts, read 3,796,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
when one's life is at stake, I would say its safe to disobey traffic laws to an extent. Now, being that he was doing 17mph over on a I-85, not a residential street, I would say it's safe to pardon it given he has the proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte