Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:43 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
Actually, that Food Lion closed a while back. They built a new shopping center farther down New Hope Rd. at the intersection of Beatty...Food Lion anchors it. However, there is a Bilo shopping center within walking distance of Ashbrook.
Ah. I was thinking about Bilo infront of Sonic. Thought it was a Food Lion but wasn't sure. I never venture that way except when I go to do some work at the Family Dollar there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 02:15 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
Ah. I was thinking about Bilo infront of Sonic. Thought it was a Food Lion but wasn't sure. I never venture that way except when I go to do some work at the Family Dollar there.
All good--all you need to know within that shopping center is the Baskin' Robbin....which I'll be visiting soon because my birthday is coming up and I LOVE their ice cream cakes...yum yum!!! LOL

Old 06-18-2011, 02:18 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Apparently, the best high school in Gastonia is Highland School of Technology, which is a magnet school. Any comments on that school?

Old 06-18-2011, 02:56 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Apparently, the best high school in Gastonia is Highland School of Technology, which is a magnet school. Any comments on that school?

Horrible area, Good School. Kids get placed into a raffle from Gaston County schools to be able to attend highland. Whoever names get drawn from the "lottery" gets to attend Highland tech.

It's gated up so you shouldn't encounter any danger or anything in the parking lot. Lots of undesirable people walking the streets infront of it because it's a bad area. I also think they don't really participate in many sports like all the other high schools in gaston county. That might have changed over the years though.

Forest View was the school everyone wanted to attend in Gaston County because it is so beautiful and we all viewed it as the "Fancy" school. Cramerton Middle School was also the "Fancy" school which I believe is the middle school of Forest View.

If you're coming from the Midwest, I don't know how ya'lls demographics are. But I believe Ashbrooke has a hefty African-American group of students. This is true of many many schools in the urban areas of the south.

(I rounded these Gastonia High School demographic numbers to the nearest whole number)

Ashbrook is 40% Black, 12% Latino, 52% White, 1% Asian.
Highland is 21% Black, 3% Latino, 74% White
Hunter Huss is 44% Black, 46% White, 10% Latino, 1% Asian

Not that race should play a factor in choosing a school. Just informing you so you don't have a culture shock if coming from a place where a certain race dominates.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 06-18-2011 at 03:30 PM..

Old 06-18-2011, 03:19 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,259 times
SB is right....Highland is still the highly desired high school, but again, a lottery determines who gets in. You have to meet certain criteria to even make the cut. High attendance rate, pass the EOGs, all As and Bs in seventh and eighth grade. I don't know how strong the sports program in general is, but the Gazette provided a lot of coverage for their golf and basketball (girls) teams this school year.

You're right, GCG, Ashbrook is a bit more racially diverse. Knowing some kids who have attended AHS and the other schools, the diversity isn't so much of a bad thing...and there are a lot of good kids at all three mentioned high schools. AHS just happens to be the zone for more students who unfortunately have more behavior problems. Forestview isn't perfect by any means, though. It's just newer and in a more uppity area, lol. I'm interested to know how Forestview will change, if it does, once the new high school opens in a few years. The same goes for South Point, which is in Belmont.

Going back to Highland, though, it has received Honor School of Excellence awards just about every year it's opened. The graduation rate is as close to perfect as it gets. The students are very motivated and work very hard and get some pretty hefty scholarships.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the run down. That is very helpful to know.

I like Gastonia, but wouldn't give ya a plug nickel for the NW area of town.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:25 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
Orchard Trace is a nice apartment complex, right on Hudson near the intersection of Hoffman, which turns into Redbud at the next intersection. It's one of the newer complexes. I lived there for a while and loved it. I've also heard great things about Brentwood Chase, which is on Lowell-Bethesda, going out toward Cramerton. Both complexes are in the eastern/southeastern area of town, which is the desirable area.

+1 Great apartment suggestions. I know several people that lived in Brentwood Chase and enjoyed it.

Quote:
I would also like to add, since this is the most recent Gastonia forum...having lived here, I can understand why some people would stay as far away as possible...but Gastonia isn't horrid like some people think. If you're looking for something of the likes of Ballantyne, South Charlotte, Lake Norman, etc., and that's all you're used to...then sure, Gastonia's not for you. However, it's not that bad. The schools aren't top-notch, let's be real, but there are good schools in eastern Gaston County (and Gaston Day and Gaston Christian are highly respected private schools if the public schools aren't to one's liking). There are educated people here who live in nice subdivisions and have good jobs (though most commute to Charlotte).
Very true, I'll also add for those that know the area, that the SE part of Gastonia looks a lot like the Carmel Rd. area in Charlotte.

Last edited by NCgirl; 06-19-2011 at 07:54 AM..

Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 AM

7 posts, read 14,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
Well congrats on the job find.
But for anyone else who sees this post about gastonia while looking for info heres my opinion: my $0.02 is to try out some of the smaller towns like Belmont, Cramerton, or Mt. Holly in Gaston County and avoid Gastonia. The demographics are much better and crime is WAY lower. Just check it out on City-Data.com. These are your best bet to live in and commute 15 minutes to Gastonia, if a small town is your thing.
I haven't driven through Gastonia other than just on interstates, but I have seen the city-data.com crime breakdown and they are like triple the national average in terms of crime index. 8 murders a year in a town of less than 30,000?!!! Dozens of rapes and thousands of burglaries?!
I also work with some people who grew up in Gastonia and know its bad, and while most have no desire to leave or move into Charlotte I know many of them live out on the edges or on the further side of Gastonia to the west and its supposedly nicer out that way. Thats the case with my manager who had a couple friends from high school get killed there, he now lives on the OTHER side of Gastonia from Charlotte.
IDK where you're getting your stats from. But Gastonia's population is over 70,000! They do not have dozens of rapes or burglaries. Muckracker!

Old 06-19-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjayjay0089 View Post
IDK where you're getting your stats from. But Gastonia's population is over 70,000! They do not have dozens of rapes or burglaries. Muckracker!
This was a very old thread & like most very old posts about Gastonia & Kings Mountain the only truth is the name of the town. I steer clear of the NW quadrant of the city & I have a positive experience when I go to Gastonia.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:36 PM

95 posts, read 297,055 times
As far as I know the west side of Gastonia is not the best area and your not wrong!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte