Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:48 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,394,149 times

Advertisements

I'm having a large party this weekend and need to load up on beer/wine. Does anyone know who has the lowest prices Costco or Frugal McDoogals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 04:56 AM

850 posts, read 2,651,651 times
Frugal's...

Old 12-04-2009, 06:41 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,214,812 times
Frugal's is cheap on hard liquor because in SC private businesses sell booze as opposed to the state monopoly in NC. However on beer and wine, it's equal footing in both states so it's not clear to me they are cheaper on these items. If you notice when you go down there, the beer and wine is sold in a separate store from the hard stuff. My guess is that Costco might beat Frugals on Wine & Beer.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:23 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,993,312 times
Has anyone compared Frugal's to some of the smaller stores in SC near Lake Wylie?
I am wondering if liquor is near the same price everywhere. I am also thinking since it is right over the border Frugal might be a little more. I haven't compared prices yet though.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:46 AM

777 posts, read 2,568,830 times
Frugals is generally the cheapest around, especially if you pay cash (cash price is cheaper). There is also a place on 521 called Southern Spirits. I haven't been there but I have heard it is the same concept as Frugals and very good prices.

With Costco, I "believe" you can return unopened beer/wine which can be a big savings if you over estimate.

Want real cheap? Trader Joes. They have a bunch of wine under $5.99 a bottle that is drinkable.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:10 AM

889 posts, read 3,118,075 times
I second the opinion on Trader Joes.They have some really good wines at very reasonable prices.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:58 AM

78 posts, read 228,342 times
I third Trader Joes. JUst grab a bunch of the 2 buck chuck (Charles Schwab, I think it is 3 bucks a bottle here in NC, is $2 in CA, hence the nick name). Makes a perfectly fine house wine for large numbers of people.

THey also have their assortment of beers for $1 each so that you can get a nice variety of beers
for a reasonable price.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:40 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,394,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinabarrel View Post
I third Trader Joes. JUst grab a bunch of the 2 buck chuck (Charles Schwab, I think it is 3 bucks a bottle here in NC, is $2 in CA, hence the nick name). Makes a perfectly fine house wine for large numbers of people.

THey also have their assortment of beers for $1 each so that you can get a nice variety of beers
for a reasonable price.
Thanks for all the recommendations. I have been drinking the C Shaw for years (back when I lived in OH) and always try to have a case or more stocked in garage as I seem to slosh down a glass or two most nights and find it to be good on the budget and decent taste. The boss (wife) wants me to 'upgrade' for our guests so I got my marching orders and will look at the other wines at TJs...

Old 12-04-2009, 01:58 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,900,464 times
Trader Joes has great wine prices. I don't live close to a Trader Joes unfortunately. I often go to the wine/beer shop in Birkdale Village. It is great. Prices are very good. It has the cheapest prices on premium beer in the county. I buy Stella there. It is $3. a twelve pack cheaper than any other place I have found.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:00 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,810 times
I've been told the cheap Trader Joe's stuff is horrible. Haven't verified for myself...don't much care to!

Frugal's was darn cheap for beer the one time I've been. Sam Adams (all varieties) 6 packs for $6 or $7. No one has that price. Is it worth the drive for a dollar or two...no...unless you're buying a Naval Fleet's supply.

As for the hard stuff and wine, I don't know.

Also note that state or federal law (can't remember which) says a person may only transport a certain amount of alcohol across the state line. I want to say it was 4 liters or 4 gallons. I've heard stories that troopers do in fact enforce this if you're pulled over at the line. Some will go as far as to say you'll be stalked if you've got NC tags. I doubt this except for maybe 4th of July time (keeping illegal fireworks out). Just some info for you to know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte