Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 06:09 PM

8 posts, read 17,181 times

Advertisements

Seriously considering moving to Charlotte w/in the next few months and wanted to know of any social service agencies or non-profit organizations to hopefully secure employment. I also have experience in the education field (but am not nc certified)...and telecommunications..... I have tried city and county openings and charmeck....are there any others that I could possibly research??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 06:41 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times
You might want to read the Charlotte Observer or the Charlotte Business Journal -- the unemployment rate is fairly high in Charlotte even without more people moving into the city.
State's population growth slows - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/875/story/1142894.html - broken link)

Old 12-26-2009, 07:12 PM

445 posts, read 1,167,038 times
Lots of budget cuts in nonprofits and social service agencies have not made for a lot of job openings right now.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinajean View Post
Lots of budget cuts in nonprofits and social service agencies have not made for a lot of job openings right now.
Thanks. Other than the Charlotte Observer, city and county jobs, can you give me other agencies or listings for potential openings in the future?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:07 PM

Very interesting article. I agree that it is so hard everywhere. Though it will be a couple months before I relocate there, I wanted to start submitting applications and resumes for potential openings but not being from the area and not having daily access to newspapers or phone books, I am finding it hard to actually know where to look....

Old 12-29-2009, 08:13 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya03 View Post
Thanks. Other than the Charlotte Observer, city and county jobs, can you give me other agencies or listings for potential openings in the future?
Not sure where you are writing from, so, maybe the previous posters have been a bit too subtle for you.

There are very very few jobs in Charlotte. Our unemployment rate is 12%. If there are fewer people working, that means that there are fewer taxes being paid. Fewer taxes mean NO JOBS in the gov't sector.

You've been given quite a few resources. There really are no others...perhaps hospitals? However, even then, your competition are people with a LOT more experience/education than you can dream about. We have MBAs bagging groceries here.

Bottom line...there are not many (if any) jobs to be had. Not a good time to make the move to Charlotte unless you have a least a year's wages in reserves.

My son is one of many that has been out of work for a year. This is a common thing these days in Charlotte.

Hope that you have a clear picture of the situation here, now.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the insight...I am actually writing from Georgia. The city I am currently in has the #1 employment rate in the state and #7 in the nation. I felt as though relocating would be a better option for me (as I have been out of work for bout 4 months now) and it gets harder each day. I have family and some friends who have been in Charlotte for a while, and thought it would be a good move....

Old 12-30-2009, 06:56 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,842 times
sonya03 Have you tried indeed.com?

Many people have moved to Charlotte with the same thoughts you have. That is one reason our unemployment is high. There is a lot of competition for work. There are jobs here but there are too many people vs openings. As chicago said, many people are working outside of their field in lower wage jobs. Many people have been out of work for a lot longer than four months. Again, people being unemployed for a year isn't uncommon.

I'm not saying you won't be able to find a job because some people have been lucky here. I am saying it will most likely be very hard. It will probably take several months and you may have to think outside of your box. In terms of your experience I think telecommunications may be a better route to try here. Or since you have an education background perhaps a job like a Mad Science Instructor at an afterschool site.

FYI - According to Charlotte's Crisis Assistance Ministry 51,000 Mecklenburg County employees are out of work. Local mortgage foreclosures up 44% above last year. Local bankruptcy filings up 21%. 100,000 people visited Loaves and Fishes food pantries this year.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 AM

339 posts, read 715,873 times
Not sure what is drawing you to Charlotte, but maybe you can find work in Atlanta or in suburban Washington DC? Normally we would welcome anyone here, but just want to give you an idea that if you are looking for work, this is probably not a good option for you. There are better places to go. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:18 PM

445 posts, read 1,167,038 times
You might want to try Craigslist for job vacancies. If you are teacher certified, you should contact the NC department of instruction to see what you would need to do to get certified in NC. There are some still some teacher jobs, although less than before. Special education teachers are always in demand and you can go through lateral entry to get certified. There is something called the Regional Alternative Licensing Center (RALC).

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte