Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:00 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times

Advertisements

This article was on Cleveland newspaper website this afternoon. Indicates that likely Mangini would be fired in the next couple days and John Fox is a leading candidate for head coach job of Browns. This would open the door for possible Cowher hire.
Browns president Mike Holmgren will interview Eagles Tom Heckert Wednesday | Cleveland Browns - cleveland.com -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 05:27 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Sounds like wishful thinking to me. Fox has another year on his contract here. Mangini finished the season on a high note with a four game win streak. 2011 may be a lock out season with no football.

I don't see Cleveland spending money or draft picks to lure him from Carolina. I don't see Carolina bringing in a top tier coach for what could be one season when they can let Fox bring this team forward next year.

Fox is not a bad coach. His only questionable issue this year was staying loyal to a slumping quarterback. But, who can blame him? Do you think Richardson wanted his big $$$ QB to ride the pine? I think not.

Besides, if the Chin is hired in Buffalo, Shanahan goes to the Skins, and Dungey / Gruden are happy in their TV gigs, then who would really be available for Carolina? There really aren't any big name coaches waiting for "the call".

We'll see what happens.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Sounds like wishful thinking to me. Fox has another year on his contract here. Mangini finished the season on a high note with a four game win streak. 2011 may be a lock out season with no football.

I don't see Cleveland spending money or draft picks to lure him from Carolina. I don't see Carolina bringing in a top tier coach for what could be one season when they can let Fox bring this team forward next year.

Fox is not a bad coach. His only questionable issue this year was staying loyal to a slumping quarterback. But, who can blame him? Do you think Richardson wanted his big $$$ QB to ride the pine? I think not.

Besides, if the Chin is hired in Buffalo, Shanahan goes to the Skins, and Dungey / Gruden are happy in their TV gigs, then who would really be available for Carolina? There really aren't any big name coaches waiting for "the call".

We'll see what happens.
Who knows how it will play out but I do know the Browns owner is willing to spend to turn things around and he is one of the wealthiest owners in league and the Browns have 11 draft picks next year. I also know personally that Cowher sees Panthers job attractive situation. If Richardson wants Cowher this will be his only shot. IMO Fox/Panthers need a change of scenary.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:45 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
I don't think the Cleveland job is an attractive one for a prospective head coach. You have Holmgren looking over your shoulder along w/a GM that he is hiring....I don't think Fox will leave Carolina. Brian Billeck is also looking for a head coaching gig...he's interviewing (or was supposed to interview) w/Buffalo, right?

Fox is not Carolina's problem next year. Jake Delhomme is guaranteed 12 mil or so next year and will be the starting qb...that's the problem.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:41 AM

Now PFT getting into the action....Browns could be targeting John Fox | ProFootballTalk.com

Old 01-06-2010, 08:00 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Fox is not Carolina's problem next year. Jake Delhomme is guaranteed 12 mil or so next year and will be the starting qb...that's the problem.
I don't know much about Delhommes contract, but I thought in the NFL, at least at this point, nothing was guranteed. A team can terminate a contract at any point in time?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:04 AM

416 posts, read 928,280 times
I don't believe they can just terminate his contract. They can cut him, but they'd owe him whatever is outlined in his contract.

Unless Fox feels he will not be retained after next year, Cleveland would not seem like a good option. Not to mention Fox is going to be one of the highest paid coaches next year with the Panthers. I doubt Cleveland would pay him more and compensate the Panthers as well for Coach Fox.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I don't know much about Delhommes contract, but I thought in the NFL, at least at this point, nothing was guranteed. A team can terminate a contract at any point in time?
Even if they cut him and don't pay him, they are still responsible for the 12 million cap hit I believe...so one way or the other they are debted to Jake at this point....

Maybe someone who is a cap guru on here can clarify......

Old 01-06-2010, 11:22 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
from some random panthers blog I found out there:

Quote:
The Panthers announced they have agreed to extend the contract of quarterback Jake Delhomme, which secures their long-term commitment to him at the all-important position and also provides some salary-cap relief. Delhomme was in the final year of his contract and was scheduled to count more than $11 million against the cap, but now has a new five-year deal that agent Rick Smith said is worth $42.5 million with $20 million in guarantees. Smith said the contract's structure was "extremely complicated" but will save the Panthers at least a couple million in 2009 cap space.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
from some random panthers blog I found out there:
They gave him the extension you referred back in April.

They should've NEVER done that. They still owe him or have a ton of money go against the cap.

My company's firewall prevents me from googling and looking up "jake delhomme's contract". Maybe the details are on the web somewhere.....I'd like to see what the details are....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte