Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:25 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,450,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
I'll call the brother in law he is a Huntersville cop and I will report back...

More news at 11.....
awesome Char, Id like to know the outcome thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 09:48 AM

693 posts, read 2,182,346 times
Default concerned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
Sorry to hear this. Charlotte crime has taken a huge jump since I moved hear some time ago. It is possible to hear gun shots in any part of Charlotte at anytime now. The city has numerous shotings every day. Hit and run is becoming very common has are buglaries. I hope things improve but do not expect any changes in the near future. So as someone said earlier do not put yourself in challenging positions, lock your doors and keep your wits about you.
Would you say crime is a problem in 'burbs (Matthews, Mint Hill, Indian Trail)? I mean real crime, violent and home invasion stuff.... not kids being destructive.

Also, the new numbers that say Charlotte's crime rates have gone up... are they now including domestic violence in those numbers?

Unless they are deducting those from general crime numbers, its not really accurate. It would make sense that with more people relocating to Charlotte, the population goes up and so does domestic violence.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:55 AM

297 posts, read 1,143,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Would you say crime is a problem in 'burbs (Matthews, Mint Hill, Indian Trail)? I mean real crime, violent and home invasion stuff.... not kids being destructive.

Also, the new numbers that say Charlotte's crime rates have gone up... are they now including domestic violence in those numbers?

Unless they are deducting those from general crime numbers, its not really accurate. It would make sense that with more people relocating to Charlotte, the population goes up and so does domestic violence.
Absolutely, crime has risen across the board in all areas including the burbs. The multiple shootings, across the Charlotte area, everyday are the ones that catch my eye.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:58 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,927,660 times
Oh for God's sake.

"Multiple shootings"-- yeah, mainly on the eastside and westside and NOT random violence.

Basically, if you don't live around or associate with thugs, you won't get shot.

DUH.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:59 AM

509 posts, read 1,807,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post

It disturbs me that domestic violence would be "deducted" from crime numbers anywhere. An assualt is not an assualt if its on your spouse?

I am not disagreeing that more people = more domestic violence. I just think it's dangerous to put that in a separate category. It can and does affect surrounding neighbors, particularly if it escalates to beatings/shootings/arson, etc.

GT

Old 05-24-2007, 10:35 AM

693 posts, read 2,182,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlTravels View Post
It disturbs me that domestic violence would be "deducted" from crime numbers anywhere. An assualt is not an assualt if its on your spouse?

I am not disagreeing that more people = more domestic violence. I just think it's dangerous to put that in a separate category. It can and does affect surrounding neighbors, particularly if it escalates to beatings/shootings/arson, etc.

GT
Please don't get me wrong I am not saying its a "lesser" crime , just that traditionally its considered its own category when interpreting statistical data. Local governments often manipulate statistics for various reasons... I just want to look closely at what the numbers really mean.

Domestic violence is awful, but it is not the same thing as wondering if you will be robbed at gunpoint in a parking lot. I was just looking for a little clarification on the types of crime that are on the rise.

My degree is in Political Science, I take statistics with a grain of salt (sometimes tequila and lime as well)

Old 05-24-2007, 11:59 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,855,967 times
Hot of the press....

According to the HPD this was a crime of opportunity. The guy was driving around as saw this lady and pulled the gun and snatched her purse. They believe they have also been doing this in Charlotte. Could not disclose to much more than that. They did state that the Rosedale area is one of the quietest parts of Huntersville for crime.

This also happened on Tuesday. Hope this clears the air some

Old 05-24-2007, 12:13 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,450,817 times
Quote:
Hot of the press....

According to the HPD this was a crime of opportunity. The guy was driving around as saw this lady and pulled the gun and snatched her purse. They believe they have also been doing this in Charlotte. Could not disclose to much more than that. They did state that the Rosedale area is one of the quietest parts of Huntersville for crime.

thanks for Reporting
That is scary, as coming from where I come from in NJ, honestly im very safe where I live, as i always know my surroundings however this is getting a bit concerning as NO AREA is safe of crime IMHO..and as the population grows it seems to be getting worse.......

Old 05-24-2007, 12:31 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,855,967 times
Not to make light of the situation but it is one of the easiest neighborhoods to get on/off the interstate and with the Commercial District around makes it easier to just "blend" in.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:40 PM

543 posts, read 1,830,653 times
Quote:
Hot of the press....

Thanks for the info CA. That's a bummer that it really happened. Did B-I-L happen to mention if it happened in the neighborhood, shopping area or road to the shopping area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte