Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:17 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,034,610 times

Advertisements

Oh wow a rifle! My husband shoots for fun I guess I will finally have to go with him to the driving range!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 07:18 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,833,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
LOL......my husband has a hand gun and a rifle. He showed me how to use the rifle because it's inlikely I will miss with that thing

I live in Huntersville that is Mecklenberg county, Lake Norman area.
Thats Mecklenburg!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 08:40 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Thats Mecklenburg!!!

oops!! I better start getting that right since I'm a citizen of that county now

Old 05-24-2007, 09:01 PM

91 posts, read 411,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
Absolutely, crime has risen across the board in all areas including the burbs. The multiple shootings, across the Charlotte area, everyday are the ones that catch my eye.
Yea, there is so much shooting, mugging, and rape in 28277, Weddington, Waxhaw, Cornelius, Davidson, Matthews, Mint Hill, Huntersville and Marvin.

One crime is not a crime spree! Crime does happen 'everywhere', but there is an extreme difference in frequency! The suburbs ARE safer than say, Freedom Dr or Optimist Park! That this is getting talked about is evidence of how rare serious crime is in Huntersville.

Charlotte.com has a map somewhere that shows where the murders have happened, a brief description of each one, and a picture and name of the victim. Very few homicides are random, very few happen to well-off people, and they are very rare in the southern suburbs.

That said, I'm not surprised at the hysteria something like this causes. It's almost as bad as another thread here where a well-intentioned, but stupid, mother freaked out about finding a sex offender 2 miles away. There are more important things to worry about.

Last edited by joenc; 05-24-2007 at 09:15 PM..

Old 05-24-2007, 09:07 PM

743 posts, read 2,242,822 times
We live in a newer subdivision still being built so we see cars riding through all the time. Lately we have been seeing this one particular one that stands out, please do not start saying I am stereotyping by what I am going to write. It is an older, early 90's white cadillac with a guy who definately looks like he is not from here but inner city Charlotte. Even by the car, flashy wheels and all, he is definately not looking to buy here. Well last night we found the car parked at the part of the area which is still being built and not occupied. My dh and neighbor, who acted really stupid, approached the car to see what they were up to. They were in the car shooting up and they saw a crack pipe laying on the seat. Who knows what could or would have happened next. They did leave but I have seen this car in here many times before and my son just told me he has seen it too as the kids are out riding their bikes. So what do we do in those cases? We called the police last night and took them 20 minutes to show up and even then never stopped to ask us questions about what we saw or anything.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:50 AM

254 posts, read 1,057,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenc View Post
where a well-intentioned, but stupid, mother freaked out about finding a sex offender 2 miles away. There are more important things to worry about.

I seriously hope you are not referring to me..the sex offender lived 3 houses down and I have 3 children

And the woman who got robbed in her driveway was very lucky that day..her mom was inside the house with her 2 children who normally would have been with her

Old 05-25-2007, 06:26 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
I obviously am not saying it can't happen of course it can but NO ONE has ever had their purse stolen...you can go to any store late at night and no problems!

I am just amazed at these rash of neighborhood crimes that occur in Charlotte's burbs! It seems like something is happening everyday down there!

I am very cautious too just in case since my parents raised me that way. They grew up in Philly.
You are way overdramatizing the crime here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
Yeah those things definitely do not happen here and we still lock our doors though.

We are getting an alarm system but I mean if something like this happens in the new development I am moving to in Union County you can better believe I will be on the first plane back here. I love the Charlotte area but this is a huge concern for us.

My realtor tells me things that this is very rare to happen in the area I bought and where she lives so hopefully she is right. This board scares the jeepers out of me!!!!
I wish you would just stay where you are. You are freaking out over absolutely NOTHING and I have lived here for 20 years.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:32 AM

693 posts, read 2,175,967 times
So, my bottom line question....

Is it safe to sleep with your windows open on a cool night in Mint Hill, Matthews and other suburbs?

Old 05-25-2007, 06:36 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,927 times
Is sleeping with the windows open the hallmark of safety? Because I have never done that anywhere, not in Montana (middle of nowhere), Wyoming (middle of nowhere part II), Colorado, South Carolina, North Carolina, DC....anywhere.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:38 AM

6 posts, read 20,493 times
Default No point in taking unnecessary chances

I've lived in Charlotte area for 10 years and in a lovely family-oriented neighborhood in Matthews for 7....and I would never leave my doors unlocked or my windows open (but then I have a one-story home)...

While I feel 'safe' in my neighborhood, I believe that it is just wise to take precautions WHEREVER you live in this area....even in our neighborhood there have been daytime break-ins.....

Rainnelor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte