Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:05 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,037,340 times

Advertisements

I thought I would bump this is what we were all talking about last year. We were so focused on the crime in Huntersville and nothing was mentioned about South Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:27 AM

6 posts, read 17,959 times
Thanks for the 'bump'...

I live in a family oriented neighborhood relatively near Independence Boulevard. When my husband and I purchased the house 7 years ago, I couldn't have felt safer, but it seems that the 'crime factor' is moving this way now. I feel we should sell and move BEFORE this gets bad...my husband says I am over-reacting...what do the rest of you think? Have you considered a move due to the changing 'atmosphere' of your neighborhood? When SHOULD a person be concerned enough to go through the lengthy process of sell/buy/move???

Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organized Chaos View Post
Thanks for the 'bump'...

I live in a family oriented neighborhood relatively near Independence Boulevard. When my husband and I purchased the house 7 years ago, I couldn't have felt safer, but it seems that the 'crime factor' is moving this way now. I feel we should sell and move BEFORE this gets bad...my husband says I am over-reacting...what do the rest of you think? Have you considered a move due to the changing 'atmosphere' of your neighborhood? When SHOULD a person be concerned enough to go through the lengthy process of sell/buy/move???
Do you have a neighborhood watch program? Have you checked out CMPD's crime blog to see where the crimes (and what type of crimes) are happening in your area - and how close to your home? Have you seen a greater presence of LE in your neighborhood? Are you near one of the crime "hot spots" that CMPD has identified?

It is not the best time to try to sell your home (wh/ I am sure you know already). If you are in an area that is being targeted for additional CMPD presence, I think I would see what they are able to accomplish w/ "cleaning out" the problems b/f I put my home on the market - since this is not the best time to sell anyway!

A lot to weigh out . . . but do your research first . . . things may not be as bad as your impression is right now. And hopefully, crime near you will be less in the future since CMPD is working to address the problems.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:29 AM

Thank you for your advice. I have looked into some of the resources you mention, though it wouldn't hurt to do a bit more research. I do have the distinct feeling, however, that there has been a change in the county as a whole. For many years, it has been understood that certain areas should be avoided...and by doing so, one could be relatively assured of their personal safety. That isn't the case now, as I see break-ins occuring in neighborhoods where this sort of thing was unheard of in the past.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:38 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,778,604 times
Quote:
Thank you for your advice. I have looked into some of the resources you mention, though it wouldn't hurt to do a bit more research. I do have the distinct feeling, however, that there has been a change in the county as a whole. For many years, it has been understood that certain areas should be avoided...and by doing so, one could be relatively assured of their personal safety. That isn't the case now, as I see break-ins occuring in neighborhoods where this sort of thing was unheard of in the past.
I wanted to send you a direct message but you don't have that function enabled - so, can you tell us which neighborhood here, or just enable your direct message and let me know there. I will be happy to tell you what I know, if anything, as a long time resident.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:01 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,974,623 times
Huntersville had crime?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:11 AM

I'd rather not name the neighborhood specifically, as I certainly do not want to discourage others from moving here just because I personally have concerns (several houses are on the market right now). However, I don't mind narrowing the area...this is off Margaret Wallace between Independence and Idlewilde.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I'd rather not name the neighborhood specifically, as I certainly do not want to discourage others from moving here just because I personally have concerns (several houses are on the market right now). However, I don't mind narrowing the area...this is off Margaret Wallace between Independence and Idlewilde.
Can you enable your direct message function?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Huntersville had crime?
I don't think there is any corner of NC itself that has never ever had a crime commited in it Huntersville has always been, and remains, a pretty safe area and a good place to live.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:42 PM

'Tis done...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte