Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,542 times

Advertisements

You can also look into the "ring neighborhoods" including Villa Heights, The Arts District (NoDa) and even the Camp Greene neighborhoods for some great appreciation potential. Most of these areas are on a similar path to the more established parts of NoDa and Wilmore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 08:41 PM

42 posts, read 63,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Before you invest in the uptown area you need to understand that Charlotte isn't Miami and it isn't Las Vegas. People don't move to Charlotte to live in a high rise and to enjoy nightlife. People move to Charlotte to live in a suburban house with a yard and to raise their kids in a sane environment.
What are you drinking?

Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,681,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nola2nooga2harlot View Post
What are you drinking?
What are YOU drinking. This thread is from 2007...

Old 03-30-2013, 01:32 PM

241 posts, read 304,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Before you invest in the uptown area you need to understand that Charlotte isn't Miami and it isn't Las Vegas. People don't move to Charlotte to live in a high rise and to enjoy nightlife. People move to Charlotte to live in a suburban house with a yard and to raise their kids in a sane environment.
Wow! What a statement! Thousands of people move to Charlotte for the exact reasons that you deny (nightlife/high rises, etc). Have you noticed Southend, Uptown, Southpark, Gateway, noda, Elizabeth, Selwyn, and all of the places that have practically all young fun loving people. Not only is Charlotte a city to enjoy a vibrant nightlife, but it is a great place to raise kids in the suburbs too if one wishes. The suburban label that you use is a passe stereotype applicable 20 years ago.

Being extremely familar with Miami and Las Vegas, I would not think twice about selecting Charlotte over either. I do love the beaches and Biscayne Bay in Miami but that's all.

I don't think that Charlotte is the greatest city for a crazy lifestyle, but if one wishes, it is here to be had.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:26 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Sigurdsson View Post
I don't think that Charlotte is the greatest city for a crazy lifestyle, but if one wishes, it is here to be had.
The post you are responding to was made 6 years ago.

Since that time, I'll note that people who invested in The Park, The Vue, & 210 Trade, suffered a 100% loss in their deposits when those projects failed. We are talking about as much as $60,000 - $75,000 and even more in some cases. These are some of the more extreme examples. There were also a large # of foreclosures, short sales, and general price decreases that burned many more.

If people had listened to the party you were responding to, they might have avoided this "investment" in downtown Charlotte.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:08 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,980,543 times
What is fascinating in hindsight, is how the condo bubble had already popped everywhere else in 2007. But a crowd (literally) of people showed up one summer morning to put deposits down on 210 Trade (which was never built) because somehow, Charlotte was expected to be immune from what was happening nationwide.

Imagine waiting in line to throw your money away. Sheesh.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:29 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,648 times
I remember that. If memory serves correct, you even had to pay to get into a lottery to get a place in that line for 210 Trade. I thought people were crazy for doing so.

It's proof enough that one should never ever take real estate advice from real estate brokers, bankers, the mainstream press, and anyone else who stands to profit from decisions to purchase real estate.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The post you are responding to was made 6 years ago.

Since that time, I'll note that people who invested in The Park, The Vue, & 210 Trade, suffered a 100% loss in their deposits when those projects failed. We are talking about as much as $60,000 - $75,000 and even more in some cases. These are some of the more extreme examples. There were also a large # of foreclosures, short sales, and general price decreases that burned many more.

If people had listened to the party you were responding to, they might have avoided this "investment" in downtown Charlotte.
Thanks. I need to look at posting dates. I bought property in 2007 for a descent price. It depreciated 40% or a little more. Overall, I expect the value to creep up to profit level in the near future. It is horible that people lost deposits from their attempts to flip, etc.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:54 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,710,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Sigurdsson View Post
It is horible that people lost deposits from their attempts to flip, etc
What's "horrible"? Most of the flippers in Miami, Charlotte, Arizona and Vegas were governed by greed. This was not their "real job" they were butchers, bakers and candlestick makers. Greed is a toxic emotion.

Real traders and flippers have moved on and for the most part have recovered their losses. At least from what I have heard.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
What's "horrible"? Most of the flippers in Miami, Charlotte, Arizona and Vegas were governed by greed. This was not their "real job" they were butchers, bakers and candlestick makers. Greed is a toxic emotion.

Real traders and flippers have moved on and for the most part have recovered their losses. At least from what I have heard.
I agree that there were many seeking to make money, but I don't think that trying to make money by flipping is necessarily greed. People simply took advantage of investing at a time when rates were really low with the intention of reselling at a later time to make a profit. . I aways considered it as marketing. I have purchased cars in the past at low prices (below market) and resold them at a later time and made a reasonable profit. This didn't make me a greedy butcher. I was happy and the buyer was happy. No strongarm tactics were used.

It is unfortunate that people lose money because a company defaults or the economy takes a downswing . Those that invested and lost money weren't only flippers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte