Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 10:19 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,528,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Most of the ones who ARE don't feel the need to "broadcast" it. At least not regarding the workplace. Be whatever religion you want, as long as it's not infringing on someone else's freedom, but I always wonder about those who seem so determined to bring up their religion every chance they get, particularly in the presence of people they know do not share their religion. Your relationship with your supreme being is a private thing.

Regarding Chic-Fil-A, they tell you to "have a blessed day". I know it's something they are required to say and in theory, not offensive, but it is a little too 'cultish' for my tastes, for some reason. Reminds me too much of the always-smiling Temple Sisters in Salt Lake City who are extremely friendly and chatty, but their real motive is to get your address so they can send missionaries to your house. Obviously this is not C-F-A's intent, but "blessed" is clearly a religion-based word which I can see making some people uncomfortable.

I for one do not patronize businesses who put the "Christian fish" in their advertising--again, I don't think religion is something you should broadcast in relation to business, unless it is relevant to the business (such as Hospice counseling, etc). I'm sure the "fish" bring in some business and also drive away some business, and that is a business risk they take.
Religion is only a private thing if one wishes it to be.

The funny thing about this thread is that, it was posted with the best of intentions and has turned into a debate. There is a forum for that... ----> that way.

But two things are certain......GOD is alive and true and no matter what the non believers say, it won't change a thing. In the end, the blind will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 10:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post
"Not sure this is warranted.
I respect and acknowledge your different faith or complete lack thereof.
And it is the 'Christians' that are close-minded? Hmm."

Had I been the original poster, my remarks may not have been warranted. Had I created a new thread entitled "Theists are morons", I would fully expect responses such as "this isn't the place for this", or "take your hatred elsewhere".

And yet, the original poster was essentially saying "Isn't it great how people overtly express their religious doctrines". And apparently it was posted with the expectations that there would be nothing controversial about the post.

Therefore, I have the right to respond and express MY opinions on the subject. I consider theism to be hideously immoral. Sorry.

The Constitution provides safeguards for people to believe as they want, while protecting people from having the religious viewpoints of others foisted upon them.

You have the right to believe anything you want. Don't be surprised if you elicit resistance if you try to shove it down other people's throats.
One of the beautiful things about living in this country, as CouponJack expressed, is we have the right to openly display our religious beliefs. Likewise, no one is forced into a belief system as we see in many other countries.

You are not going to be persecuted for either believing or not believing. You will not be persecuted for the path you choose.

The Constitution does not protect any of us from being EXPOSED to other folks' religious beliefs (or their lack of religious beliefs). It protects us from being forced to adhere to a federal/state declared religion.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:20 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,140,345 times
I don't think it's a debate all all. I have found all of the responses to be well thought out and civil. Surely Loves knew that her thread was going to spark some lively conversation.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -PlagueasForm- View Post
Yes, clearly they should not be able to earn a living by working for someone whom they don't share the same beliefs as. Either that or they should just treat being uncomfortable as part of their job.

Hence the choice, that particular company isn't the only one of the block.
If it is, it is their choice to take the position or not. Try as you might, you will not win this.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -PlagueasForm- View Post
Yes, clearly they should not be able to earn a living by working for someone whom they don't share the same beliefs as. Either that or they should just treat being uncomfortable as part of their job.
If you are referring to Chik-Fil-A, I believe the only thing about the organization that suggests the owner adheres to a religious belief is that he refuses to open his business on Sundays, something that a lot of employees desire - and so apply for work there.

I don't see how that would make someone "uncomfortable" - knowing they have a defnite day off every week. If it did, then they would simply apply for work elsewhere.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I don't think it's a debate all all. I have found all of the responses to be well thought out and civil. Surely Loves knew that her thread was going to spark some lively conversation.

of course it has turned into a debate just as most religious chats do in this venue.... the should they, could they, legal or not...blah, blah.....
some 'ole rhetoric.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:25 AM

154 posts, read 328,844 times
obviously the south is full of more bible thumpers then up north. Us northern transplants are okay with listening to all the god talk because the cost of rent is so cheap. you cant have everything

Old 02-14-2010, 10:30 AM

47 posts, read 102,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Hence the choice, that particular company isn't the only one of the block.
If it is, it is their choice to take the position or not. Try as you might, you will not win this.
In this economy, it probably IS the only one on the block and the choice is simply between make money or make nothing. That was my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If you are referring to Chik-Fil-A, I believe the only thing about the organization that suggests the owner adheres to a religious belief is that he refuses to open his business on Sundays, something that a lot of employees desire - and so apply for work there.

I don't see how that would make someone "uncomfortable" - knowing they have a defnite day off every week. If it did, then they would simply apply for work elsewhere.
I wasn't referring to Chik Fil A.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Most of the ones who ARE don't feel the need to "broadcast" it. At least not regarding the workplace. Be whatever religion you want, as long as it's not infringing on someone else's freedom, but I always wonder about those who seem so determined to bring up their religion every chance they get, particularly in the presence of people they know do not share their religion. Your relationship with your supreme being is a private thing.

Regarding Chic-Fil-A, they tell you to "have a blessed day". I know it's something they are required to say and in theory, not offensive, but it is a little too 'cultish' for my tastes, for some reason. Reminds me too much of the always-smiling Temple Sisters in Salt Lake City who are extremely friendly and chatty, but their real motive is to get your address so they can send missionaries to your house. Obviously this is not C-F-A's intent, but "blessed" is clearly a religion-based word which I can see making some people uncomfortable.

I for one do not patronize businesses who put the "Christian fish" in their advertising--again, I don't think religion is something you should broadcast in relation to business, unless it is relevant to the business (such as Hospice counseling, etc). I'm sure the "fish" bring in some business and also drive away some business, and that is a business risk they take.
That is very interesting - I didn't know the employees were required to say "have a blessed day." I have never had an employee say that to me.

Actually, I equate "have a blessed day" with Wicca's "blessed be," lol. Not that it matters to me . . . anyone who wants to wish me a "blessed day" is gonna get back a "you have a day filled with blessings, too!" It is, after all, a very nice thought. Blessings come in many forms, including receiving a well=prepared sandwich!

Old 02-14-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I was thinking the same thing, Coastalgirl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte