Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 07:22 PM

70 posts, read 236,872 times

Advertisements

Hi
I was informed NC is a "Right To Work state. Does this mean a person can be fired from their place of employment for any frivolous reason? I was also told there are NO job unions. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 07:36 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
Answer to your first question is basically yes. It means that in the absence of a written contract, then each workday establishes a new contract and it can be terminated after that by either party for any reason. (though employer can't discriminate as defined by federal law) Answer to the second question is no. Unions can and do exist in NC. In this case the union contract is the written contract and whatever is in it overrides the WTW law. Employers are not forced to accept trade union contracts however.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:40 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolone6722 View Post
Hi
I was informed NC is a "Right To Work state. Does this mean a person can be fired from their place of employment for any frivolous reason? I was also told there are NO job unions. Is that true?
There are unions, just not a lot. Read this for some background. http://www.ibiblio.org/uncpress/chap..._gastonia.html This is concerning a strike at the Loray Mill in Gastonia. The unions did themselves in on this one.

There seem to be 2 versions of right to work. One version is that the state has a law allowing people to opt out of joining unions to prevent having a closed shop (where everyone is required to join the union) NC is one of these states.

The other version is that either party can end the working relationship with no notice. NC is also one of these state, but then, so is NJ. Go figure.

Last edited by southbound_295; 02-14-2010 at 07:53 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 08:18 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolone6722 View Post
Hi
I think you are confusing "Right to Work" with "At Will" employment.

Right to work covers union issues. Right to Work States | National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation

At Will employment means the employer can fire you for almost any reason at any time with certain exceptions. At-will employment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Almost all states are at will, I believe. Although a lot of companies will go out of their way to document their reasons before a firing so they can cover their six.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
As has been mentioned, there are unions here. The most common would be the one that EMS workers belong to . . . and in many municipalities, fire fighters belong to a union. Not sure about police forces b/c I have never checked.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I think you are confusing "Right to Work" with "At Will" employment.

Right to work covers union issues. Right to Work States | National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation

At Will employment means the employer can fire you for almost any reason at any time with certain exceptions. At-will employment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Almost all states are at will, I believe. Although a lot of companies will go out of their way to document their reasons before a firing so they can cover their six.
In NJ, I have been given documents before starting a job stating that NJ is a right to work state & that employment is at will etc. Apparently, there's a lot of confusion going around on that one.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
As has been mentioned, there are unions here. The most common would be the one that EMS workers belong to . . . and in many municipalities, fire fighters belong to a union. Not sure about police forces b/c I have never checked.
Ani, there are several IBEW locals in the Charlotte area.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, you can tell I don't know much about it, lol. But I knew there were some unions here, lol.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:43 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yes, but, they are not well known. I lived here for a number of years before I knew that. My father belonged to the IBEW in Chicago.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, you can tell I don't know much about it, lol. But I knew there were some unions here, lol.
Ani, the only reason that I know it is that I saw that some broadcast techs in Charlotte are union. I did a search & found 3 locals & one specified that they also represent broadcast techs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: