Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:21 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,326,408 times

Advertisements

Seems like folks love to point out all the flaws in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. Yet, I know there are some awesome things going on at CMS. Thought we could start a thread to point out some GOOD things. I'll start:

Saw this article in yesterday's Charlotte Observer about a team of students from Jay M. Robinson Middle School that went to the National Science Olympiad and brought home second place! Apparently they were up against some awesome teams, (one coached by Princeton University!) Pretty inspiring news from a CMS school:

http://www.charlotte.com/217/story/133472.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Caring bus driver...

Article about a caring bus driver who went out of his way to make a "special drop off" for a student:

http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/story/133386.html (broken link)

Old 05-25-2007, 09:02 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,503,092 times
Glad to see you listed this under the positives!

BTW: This is not really true. ESL programs are in big demand as are Sheltered/ELL classes, but children are not given full instruction in their native language.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBallard View Post
If you are an illegal immigrant CMS will still educate your child and in his/her first language at that!

Old 05-25-2007, 09:09 AM

Default 5 CMS Schools received Magnet School of Distinction

Recent article about CMS schools with language immersion programs....

http://www.charlotte.com/408/story/125227.html (broken link)

Old 05-25-2007, 09:16 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,093,642 times
Quote:
If you are an illegal immigrant CMS will still educate your child and in his/her first language at that!
Why bring this thread down with saracasm? Why turn a good thread ugly? Save rants about "illegal immigrants" for threads that deal with that topic in the appropriate forum.

The ugliness here is just beyond my understanding.

Funny how Americans came here and beat the language out of the original natives and this went on well into the 70s.

SL

Old 05-25-2007, 09:17 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,093,642 times
Dawn, thanks for the clarification.

Marvin, thanks for beginning this thread. I hate it when people paint every picture with such a broad stroke. I'm sure there are lots of good things going on at CMS and I look forward to reading more positives since I am new to the area.

Sincerely,

SL

Old 05-25-2007, 09:26 AM

I was just in the mood to hear something positive...I'm not so naive as to believe that everything is wonderful everywhere all the time, but I also know that affirming the good things is encouraging and when someone is doing some right, we ought to celebrate that with as much passion as we do when we are complaining.

So bring on the the good stuff!

P.S. Yes, ESL is a good thing. Let's agree to that and get back on topic, please!

Old 05-25-2007, 09:56 AM

476 posts, read 1,577,204 times
I think there was another recent thread that had some of CMS high schools (??) listed as some of the best in the US.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Newsweek's America's Best Public High Schools list

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklaur View Post
I think there was another recent thread that had some of CMS high schools (??) listed as some of the best in the US.
I think you are referring to this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...h-schools.html

Old 05-25-2007, 10:38 AM

41 posts, read 235,477 times
Quote:
Some people consider it a positive. I know that full instruction in a native language is a rarity but the fact that North Carolina taxpayers are willing to shell out money to hire ESL teachers when that money could be used to reduce class size really speaks to NC values.
Yes, it shows that we value ALL children and think they deserve an education!

Something positive about CMS-- My son's experience with speech therapy has been fantastic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte