Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 AM

12 posts, read 27,335 times

Advertisements

Long-time lurker coming out of hiding here

My family just moved to Charlotte last fall and we're still trying to get settled in... The current issue right now is our vegetable garden. Our backyard (like many here, it seems) is completely shaded by big trees - two pecans and some others, none of which we could afford to remove, even if we wanted to (which we don't - I love pecans!). The only other feasible place to put our garden is out front.

Are there any "rules" in Charlotte forbidding this? We don't have an HOA and we have a pretty decent size front yard... I'd probably keep it closer to the house to keep it away from car fumes and such. I tried to look through the municipal codes on the charmeck website but I couldn't make much sense of anything there...

Just figured it was worth asking some of you knowledgeable folk here before I put in the work and got myself in trouble

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 07:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Just dont plant pumpkins by the side walk...hehe
I did this by accident I was carving a pumpkin by
the sidewalk toss the seeds to the side then later I had these
huge obstacles blocking path of the side walk.
I couldn't move them either the vine likes to grab the soil.

Its new on me if their an ordinance. You might want to call 311
and see. I have no problem with maybe if you did a plot on
the side of the front. Good Luck

Old 03-05-2010, 07:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
As far as I know, there is no ordinance, but if it gets scrappy looking in the winter, you might have complaints. You can even have some chickens in the back - that is definitely allowed. In fact, you can have a honeybee hive or two.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:15 AM

12 posts, read 27,335 times
I realized after I posted that there was already a gardening thread going. Guess I should've posted this there, whoops! Thank you both for your responses

Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackthlion View Post
I realized after I posted that there was already a gardening thread going. Guess I should've posted this there, whoops! Thank you both for your responses
It is a good thing this is on a separate thread, b/c others will doubtless want to know about gardening in the front yard.

If I find an ordinance that clearly outlines this for us, I will definitely post it here.

Now, for ideas on gardening and info on "how-to" and best planting practices, head to that other thread, lol.

Maybe someone else will find something published by CHARMECK that gives us more info on urban/suburban gardening regulations (if such regs exist).

Good luck with your garden!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackthlion View Post
This could be posted there or separately. As Ani said, this is sort of a different category. One suggestion would be to get a couple of the 1/2 whiskey barrels at Lowes & put some vegetables in those. Regardless of the zoning, you could probably get away with that.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:41 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
I would reccomend a 2-3 ft border of flowers out towards the street,
that would hide it some and also look pretty.
perhaps a low picket fence, anything to pretty it up would go a long
way to keep the complaints down.
if you are in a HOA neighborhood they should be able to tell, if that is the case I
am willing to bet that you aren't allowed.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 AM

78 posts, read 228,155 times
This certainly falls under the don't ask, don't tell policy. Go ahead and do it and
as long as it isn't unsightly, nobody will complain. Unless you plant Okra. I hate okra.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinabarrel View Post
This certainly falls under the don't ask, don't tell policy. Go ahead and do it and
as long as it isn't unsightly, nobody will complain. Unless you plant Okra. I hate okra.
And in the winter . . . one must consider how that is all gonna be handled once the growing season is over.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:54 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
There was a lovely front yard garden on The Plaza, between 36th & Sugar Creek, last year - they painted all the boards for the raised beds beautiful colors and tended the garden very well.

Guerrilla gardening! I'm all for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: