Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 09:34 AM

523 posts, read 2,906,090 times

Advertisements

I just bought a new townhouse and I am trying to decide which upgrades I should keep and which I should do without when thinking about resale value. None of these options is expensive--I just want to make sure I don't add an option that actually could hurt resale value!

1) 3 bedroom vs. 4 bedroom (I was thinking 4, but two of the bedrooms will be tiny--9 X 9 and 10 X 10)
2) Adding more windows to bedrooms/living room (I have an end unit and only two windows on the side wall were included --should I add more?)
3) Gas water heater

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 09:50 AM

70 posts, read 350,315 times
I would rather have larger bedrooms so three bedrooms is great
Windows are nice to have
gas hot water heater is nice
gas stove as well

Old 06-04-2007, 10:06 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
I would look at your needs too. For us, having 4 bedrooms, even if they are small, would be a plus. Also, with smaller bedrooms, you have more room for an office or guestroom. That would be *my* preference.

Extra windows are always a good idea, but they are expensive to put in so make sure and calculate the investment vs. the return. If all the townhouses are selling for X amount, you can't get too much more no matter what you do to it.

Just my .02 from buying and selling homes experiences.

Dawn

Old 06-04-2007, 10:27 AM

999 posts, read 4,653,458 times
As for the windows, what would they be looking out on? If something desireable, I'd do it, if not (say the side of someones house....) then not.
Just MHO.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:55 AM

204 posts, read 774,301 times
Before making any major decisions live in the house awhile and get a feel of it. I agree with Joanchris-what is the view on that side of the house-also are windows energy efficient. Use one bedroom for a combo office/guest room. Most important rooms for re-sale are kitchen and bathroom(s).

Old 06-04-2007, 11:23 AM

523 posts, read 2,906,090 times
This is a pre-construction property so if I'm getting windows added on, I need to let them know before they start building (it's brick so can't just cut out space for windows later!). It's a corner unit, so the view will be of the street and whatever goes in on the other side of the street (old, crappy office space now, a very high chance that it will be torn down and turned into something new). The cost of adding the windows is super cheap so definitely not a price issue. I was thinking in the living room, instead of having 2 windows across, it could be 3. And in the master bedroom, have two windows across from the bed (right now, all light will come in from one side of the room (1 window or bathroom door is open, it would come in from the windows in there).

Hmmm, still wondering about 3 vs. 4 bedrooms. It literally costs just about nothing to split the 3 bedroom plan into a 4 bedroom plan. And I was planning on using one as a guest room and one as a den but the rooms are just so tiny!

Old 06-04-2007, 01:14 PM

204 posts, read 774,301 times
Being it's new construction I would definitely go with additional windows-nothing like natural light and nice breezes. Bedrooms-think ahead. Good luck in your new home.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:54 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,979 times
Red face 3 or 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
This is a pre-construction property so if I'm getting windows added on, I need to let them know before they start building (it's brick so can't just cut out space for windows later!). It's a corner unit, so the view will be of the street and whatever goes in on the other side of the street (old, crappy office space now, a very high chance that it will be torn down and turned into something new). The cost of adding the windows is super cheap so definitely not a price issue. I was thinking in the living room, instead of having 2 windows across, it could be 3. And in the master bedroom, have two windows across from the bed (right now, all light will come in from one side of the room (1 window or bathroom door is open, it would come in from the windows in there).

Hmmm, still wondering about 3 vs. 4 bedrooms. It literally costs just about nothing to split the 3 bedroom plan into a 4 bedroom plan. And I was planning on using one as a guest room and one as a den but the rooms are just so tiny!
I think for a t/h, 4 bdr sounds like a lot. I could be wrong but I think of 4 bdr, I think of a house, not a t/h. I guess I'd ask your realtor that one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte