Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:54 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,909,145 times

Advertisements

Since you'll be working at Sprint, I'd highly suggest Belmont or Mt. Holly. Nice schools, healthy growth rates, good cost of living, safe, and really good commute time to the Whitehall area. Also, it's close to lots of shopping/restaurants in east Gastonia and recreational assets. Still has small-town charm. I lived in the area in the 90's and loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 11:47 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
OP, I seriously don't know where you were in "Huntersville" because it has a ton of shopping and is very developed except on the west side of Huntersville where thankfully there is still land left.

You don't need to be this far north anyway, it's too far of a commute. Southeast Charlotte is your best bet by far.
In his price range, and with schools a top consideration I would say Fort Mill is his best option. Though there are many nice homes in the Steele Creek area in that range too, schools aren't as strong, though improving.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:53 PM

4 posts, read 13,189 times
Default Thanks for the posts

When I went to huntersville through the university area(not on the highway). I really didnt know my may around so I probably missed alot.

Any how, if I'm understanding the majority of the posts correctly, the Ballantyne, Cabbaraus County, and Fort Mill, SC area would fit my discription well? I met a nice realtor off of this site, and he has suggested the Ballantyne and Steel Creek area's. He has sent me some really nice homes.

I have a side question and hopefully nobody will take offense, but are there many snakes in these area's I'm very very afraid of snakes, I realize that it is the south and I have lived down south before in Georgia, but I have been very lucky not to run into any..

Old 06-06-2007, 07:13 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanellc2005 View Post
When I went to huntersville through the university area(not on the highway). I really didnt know my may around so I probably missed alot.

Any how, if I'm understanding the majority of the posts correctly, the Ballantyne, Cabbaraus County, and Fort Mill, SC area would fit my discription well? I met a nice realtor off of this site, and he has suggested the Ballantyne and Steel Creek area's. He has sent me some really nice homes.

I have a side question and hopefully nobody will take offense, but are there many snakes in these area's I'm very very afraid of snakes, I realize that it is the south and I have lived down south before in Georgia, but I have been very lucky not to run into any..
If you went to Huntersville through the University area I don't think you made it to Huntersville, probably just the country roads of Huntersville. If you missed Birkdale and the Lake Norman area among other places you never saw Huntersville.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:13 AM

6 posts, read 15,907 times
Default Snakes

Quote:

My dad lived in rural NC on the western side of the state for 24 years and said he never saw any snakes though they are there. You may see some in fields and wooded areas. My in laws are considering retireing to the Charlotte metro area and are checking out the Ballantyne area. As several people posted a local realtor can be a huge help.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,900 times
Quote:
Hello All,
I am just returing from my 3 day trip to Charlotte more confused then before I came. When I first arrived I was in shock b/c I entered Charlotte from the Sugar Creek exit of 77. not happy at all. I have 2 children(ages 10 & 12) and I will be looking to commute from the Sprint building on Whitehall Park Drive. I'm in the process of selling my home now in NY and I want to rent for approx. 6 months before purchasing a home. I want to keep my commute down to no more than 30-35 mins from my job(the shorter the better). I have been doing alot of research and I thought that Huntersville, Southpark, and University were all the best locations for me. I went to huntersville and it looked really underdeveloped. I didnt see any shopping centers and/or housing communities/devolopments.(Maybe I missed something ). I went down Mallard Creek in the University area and I did like the housing communities that I saw. Now I'm hearing that the crime is bad in that area. I love the way Southpark looks but may be out of my price range, or is it? I'm looking to rent a 3bdrm in a nice apt complex for about ($700-$1000) range. I will be purchasing a home shortly thereafter and I want to pay no more than 250k(hopefully less). Great schools are very important as well as I want alot of shopping to be a short distance away . I'm relocating to charlotte from westchester,ny. I really need your help in selecting the right area of Charlotte for me and my family. Thank You in advance
hi we also spent 3 days in charlotte looking to move from long island my broker mentioned matthews area did you see that. we saw lake norman area and weddington area i think we favored living south charlotte over lake norman. its finding the right house for the right price in the right area thats hard.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:32 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,915,127 times
There are snakes here but in the city you won't see many. I saw two in the city in 20 years.

Funny story: I did go out on my deck to be greeted by the labrador I had at the time, holding a snake in his mouth that he had bitten in half. He was so proud, I screamed bloody murder.

That said, it was a harmless black snake, which is what we have the most of here!

Another black snake got caught in my garage door. Nothing like opening the garage door and having a black snake dangling in front of you......

Old 06-08-2007, 07:14 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,792 times
We live in Union County, but I am in love with the Ballantyne area. I wish we'd looked there, too!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:20 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,431,606 times
I saw plenty of snakes at both apartments I lived at in Charlotte and a couple I know were copperheads. There are others that are often confuse with copperheads too. I have also seen several rat snakes at Freedom Park especially during spring when they are mating and laying eggs.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:20 AM

79 posts, read 231,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
If you went to Huntersville through the University area I don't think you made it to Huntersville, probably just the country roads of Huntersville. If you missed Birkdale and the Lake Norman area among other places you never saw Huntersville.
I've made 2 trips to the Lake Norman area, looking at homes in Cornelius and Mooresville. We purchased up at the Pointe in Mooresville because taxes are 1/2 of what they will be in Cornelius or Huntersville. Closing date in Mooresville is set for early July.

On the last day of our second trip, we discovered Birkdale village which felt like a throw-back in time. Clean, quiet, full of Southern charm. If Huntersville is on your mind, a visit to Birkdale will help close the deal. SD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte