Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 10:30 PM

43 posts, read 150,961 times

Advertisements

Who do you think are the best reputable builders in the ares??
We are currently interested in McCarr, Bonterra and possible Centex. We have seen alot more but narrowed it so far to these 3...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 10:38 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtptootie View Post
Who do you think are the best reputable builders in the ares??
We are currently interested in McCarr, Bonterra and possible Centex. We have seen alot more but narrowed it so far to these 3...
Well there's a lot on McCarr here, and some recent feedback (as well as older) on Centex. I've never heard of Bonterra. You may want to give the community of these developers you're interested in as experiences will vary by subdivision.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:06 PM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
All builders have their quirks. As far as these three I would say one is no better than the other. All three do good work but like any other builder you just have to watch them carefully during construction and follow up on warranty. As far as their subdivisions, of course some are better than others, it depends which area you are looking at. I know the subdivison Bonterra is having HOA problems with their residents and financial difficulty. McCar has some construction issues previously but has since changed builders, at least in Annandale, and there are not as many problems as previously. Again, all builders will have negative and positive. It all depends on how you interpret the feedback from others and drawing your own conclusions from the feedback

Old 06-10-2007, 11:58 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,272 times
Red face Centex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Well there's a lot on McCarr here, and some recent feedback (as well as older) on Centex. I've never heard of Bonterra. You may want to give the community of these developers you're interested in as experiences will vary by subdivision.
I'm happy with Centex but not all are. Bonterra was very reputable in FL and they sold out a community in Arvida which we bought outside of Tampa. That was a very good investment for us. I don't know about McCar...

Old 06-11-2007, 04:25 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times
I would not buy a McCar home. And I own one....that speaks for itself LOL.

I don't know much about Bonterra or Centex. Like a PP said, if you're looking at Bonterra Village they are having problems with the whole horse situation. Many disgruntled home buyers looking to sell their homes.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:53 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
We'd buy another McCar home without hesitation. Our home is spacious, full of options, the builder backed up any punchout list flaws before move-in, and they even came through on a post warranty matter without us having to "make a stink". Yep, they came in and replaced my entire kitchen vinyl flooring due to a defect in the material!

Beyond that, they pushed us to do the 9 & 12 month drywall and general follow-up repair lists. We wanted to delay them because we frankly didn't have that many items to be addressed. We were hoping to drag our feet so that we would have the builder "at our service" if we came up with any other repairs to be done.

Perfect house? No, but I don't know of any subdivision housing in this price range that is perfect.
Worthy of buying from this builder again? Definitely, yes.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:56 AM

90 posts, read 343,053 times
What area are these builder in? We plan to build in statesville off buffalo shoals rd . Anyone recommend a builder for that area? We plan to build a brick ranch with walkout basement about 3,4oo sq ft. I have had some bad experience with builders and swore i would never build again, but never say never. all pro and con about this area builders would be nice thanks

Old 06-17-2007, 06:37 PM

85 posts, read 281,583 times
Default REality of Large Builders

HEre's another reality check: I am a builder/Developer, and they ALL hire subcontractors, it can be hit or miss with ANY Large Bldr...my best advice is to get your plans early and be sure your home is built ACCORDING to plan...one of the problems with Large bldrs is that they use framers and other subs who build the same models, get lazy, and often screw up the details which make your home unique...get a set of plans and understand them...it is imperative! And USE PENCIL on your set of plansLOLOL

Old 06-18-2007, 07:52 AM

90 posts, read 343,053 times
We have had our plans for a while now and they are custom plans which we had made up, we also have made up our list of items which we will make sure are followed .like i said we have been through this and have had our nightmares. My last house we built was a beautiful upscale house and after the house was finished we realized that he never put a front door bell in !!!! He said we didn't ask for it!!!!!!!!!!!! CHRIST EVEN MOBILE HOMES COME WITH DOORBELLS.. WE LEARNED YOU HAVE TO WRITE EVERY LITTLE THING YOU WANT DOWN . Just praying this time around things will go smooth, i know there will be somethings that slip by but .... we shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte