Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2006, 08:31 AM

291 posts, read 1,115,172 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear from anyone who has relocated to the Charlotte area from Jersey. We're thinking about it and I'm wondering how it compares. Obviously housing in less expensive (which is one reason we're getting out of Jersey), but what about taxes, homeowner's insurance, auto insurance and just general cost of living? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 08:20 AM

36 posts, read 125,382 times
I haved lived all my life in NJ and this past August we relocated to south Charlotte,Union county. Horse farms and green pastures,but not for long. We are just now starting to get comfortable living here,There is alot of Northerners moving here as well,opening great restaurants (Ilios Noche).We are loving it. Hope you come and see for yourself.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:46 AM

98 posts, read 816,611 times
housing is not as cheap as you think. it all depends on where you want to live. the better the area, the more expensive the house... but you do get more for your money here. taxes are way better in union county an little ihgher in meck. county - obviosly you are closer to the city and the like, i guess they can charge more taxes. homeowners ins. is fair, auto is better but for services it is higher. hair cut: $55, $65 or $75 - food shoping: definetly higher - nails: $15 for a manicure, $35 for a pedicure, etc.

good luck!

Old 10-16-2006, 10:07 PM

348 posts, read 431,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2STAY View Post
housing is not as cheap as you think. it all depends on where you want to live.

good luck!
C'mon! I paid $10,000 in property taxes in Jersey for a backyard the size of a postage stamp. I can assure you that anyone coming from NY/NJ will find Charlotte a dream in terms of housing costs. But it's all relative, for sure.

You will largely find things like prop taxes, homes themselves (within reason), auto insurance, gas to be cheaper here. I feel that restaurants are cheaper (and the service is a heck of a lot better), If you've got little ones, daycare is waaaay cheaper. My friend in jersey pays 1500 for her son, while I'm paying $740. I won't even mention how much I'm saving by not paying for NJ transit train and then the subway to Manhattan. Also, no tolls here in Charlotte, either (but you will pay a car tax when you get your license for a few hundred dollars to cover the missing tolls, but still waaaaaay cheaper and no stupid lines at the toll).

Overall, if you can buy a house cheaper than the one than the one you had in NJ--and trust me, it ain't too hard--you'll be shocked.

L

Old 12-05-2006, 07:32 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,410,826 times
Where do you live now? which area..we live in Ocean County NJ and am looking to relocate but happen to be very nervous about it..we have 2 kids and am trying to find the time to start actually looking..We are interested in Union County....Are u finding you are making friends? WHERE from Jersey did u leave??? may I ask what are your property taxes?

Old 12-05-2006, 10:41 AM

291 posts, read 1,115,172 times
Thanks everyone for your posts. This is extremely helpful and very encouraging.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:31 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,088,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevpol View Post
I haved lived all my life in NJ and this past August we relocated to south Charlotte,Union county. Horse farms and green pastures,but not for long. We are just now starting to get comfortable living here,There is alot of Northerners moving here as well,opening great restaurants (Ilios Noche).We are loving it. Hope you come and see for yourself.
I dont know, are you glad to see all the horse pastures and farms replaced by Target and WALGREENS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte