Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 10:43 AM

11 posts, read 34,935 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to move to the Charlotte area and would like input on places to consider or avoid.

We will be working downtown CLT. We have three children (9,5,baby) so looking for goodschools. Would like to have no more than +/- 45 min one-way commute. Looking for 4 BR home around 200k and would also like to have decent size yard (1/2 acre or more). So far we have seen Gaston county and like the area because of the landscape.

Any suggestions or input would be great.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 11:02 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,372,196 times
Using that price range and your desired commute, 4 bedrooms might be tight. You might want to try some of the older neighborhoods in South Charlotte. Candlewyck, Wessex Square, Olde Providence. Staying inside of 51 is key to avoiding going over 45 minutes and the schoolls down there are excellent.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:12 PM

62 posts, read 188,857 times
Try searching carolinahome.com
Area 4, neighborhoods: Country Roads, Alexander Woods, Somersby, Settlers Landing
Area 5, neighborhoods: Raintree, Ridgeloch, Candlewyk, Olde Providence, Wessex Square

All of these neighborhoods are within good school districts. Some good schools are: Olde Providence Elem., Elizabeth Lane Elem., Providence Springs Elem., McKee Elem., McAlpine Elem., South Charlotte Middle, Carmel Middle, JM Robinson Middle, Providence High, Myers Park High

If you go much further than the Hwy 51 (Pineville-Matthews Rd) area, you'll never make it downtown in 45 mins. I live in the area, and leave home around 7am, and it takes me at least 35 minutes to get into downtown on a good traffic day. Note that summer will be a very different commute than the school year.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:32 PM

595 posts, read 1,624,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG505 View Post
So far we have seen Gaston county and like the area because of the landscape.
If you can find the house you are looking for in Gaston County, then get it. The commute isn't too bad on 85 from there.

Also you can look at Fort Mill, SC.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:56 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,735,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG505 View Post
My family and I are planning to move to the Charlotte area and would like input on places to consider or avoid.

We will be working downtown CLT. We have three children (9,5,baby) so looking for goodschools. Would like to have no more than +/- 45 min one-way commute. Looking for 4 BR home around 200k and would also like to have decent size yard (1/2 acre or more). So far we have seen Gaston county and like the area because of the landscape.

Any suggestions or input would be great.

Thanks.
45 minutes would get you to Lincoln county which has good schools & would have bigger lots.

It would also take you due west to Kings Mountain which is also good schools. In the city the lots are smaller than the unincorporated areas. All kids from the city & unincorporated areas go to the Kings Mountain schools. The eastern part of the city is in Gaston County, the rest is in Cleveland County. Lincoln & Cleveland counties have cheaper taxes.

If you wanted more land I would not recommend that you look at the unincorporated area south of the city, but look north towards Cherryville. Just don't stray too far from 74 or it would up the commute time.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:14 PM

5 posts, read 6,372 times
Look Hembstead, Providence Plantation, Beverly Crest... Hembstead would have more acerage..

Right near a shopping center. good area

Old 04-01-2010, 05:55 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,560,920 times
I would strongly suggest Fort Mill, SC too. It is only about 15 minutes to Uptown Charlotte non-rush hour and bout 30 minutes during rush hour. They have very very top rated schools and the taxes are a little better. That budget is a little tight for the Charlotte area for a 4 bedroom though.

Good Luck,

Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte