Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 05:34 PM

32 posts, read 118,555 times

Advertisements

I plan to move to the Charlotte area very soon and I have spent HOURS searching online for apartments since I live 4 hours away and am not able to come up often to visit in person. I have narrowed my list down to a few options that I think are in great areas, but I have found nothing but bad reviews online for ALL the apartments I have searched. I don't know if these online reviews are the best reference though. Can someone please give me an honest review of any or all of the following apartments?

1. Andover Woods
2. The Pines at Carolina Place
3. The Retreat at McAlpine Creek

Thanks in advance to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 06:40 PM

240 posts, read 1,033,695 times
I haven't lived in any of those complexes, but I do drive by The Pines at Carolina Place almost every day. The apartments are pretty much across the street from the mall, so there is a convenience factor there. However, they don't look like the most modern apartments in the world, but they aren't horrible looking either Another drawback in my opinion is that a water treatment plant is directly across the street from the complex. When I drive by with my windows down in the morning, the smell driving past there is definitely not pleasant. Again, not sure if that is a constant problem or not.

There are some nicer looking apartments in Ballantyne which are about 5-7 minutes away from The Pines, but the price range is probably at least $150-$200 more per month if I had to take a rough guess from my last apartment shopping experience a few years back.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:47 PM

138 posts, read 413,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawks80 View Post
I haven't lived in any of those complexes, but I do drive by The Pines at Carolina Place almost every day. The apartments are pretty much across the street from the mall, so there is a convenience factor there. However, they don't look like the most modern apartments in the world, but they aren't horrible looking either Another drawback in my opinion is that a water treatment plant is directly across the street from the complex. When I drive by with my windows down in the morning, the smell driving past there is definitely not pleasant. Again, not sure if that is a constant problem or not.

There are some nicer looking apartments in Ballantyne which are about 5-7 minutes away from The Pines, but the price range is probably at least $150-$200 more per month if I had to take a rough guess from my last apartment shopping experience a few years back.
I agree. Nice apartments near Ballantyne. Also, Promenade Park and Echo Forest are real nice as well. Both also rated highest in reviews. Good luck!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:45 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,866 times
I can't comment on those places specifically, but I would be reluctant to put too much stock in online references. By their very nature they're inclined to be negative because the people who search out sites on which to rate their apartments are the people who have an axe to grind. In general.

It's a feature of all self-reported market research, not just apartments - you get the extremes and not much middle ground.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:19 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,915,127 times
Andover Woods and The Pines: all I'll say is that you may be one of the only people there who speak English as a first language. For what it's worth....
And I actually lived at The Retreat in 1998 for 9 months. Back then it was McAlpine Place Apartments. That was a long time ago, but I really enjoyed the location and I thought I had a nice place....I don't know how much the calibur of the renters has changed since then or how well it has been kept up. Andover Woods used to be nice back then too but I wouldn't live there now.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,560 times
Exclamation Don't Believe Pictures You See In Apartment Guides

Don't believe the pictures you see in the Apartment Guide or Apartment Finder. Take a drive and go to the complexes you are interested in. You must go to the complex (and drive from the front to the back) to see the WHOLE complex of the places you are interested in.

I will tell you why not to believe the pictures and descriptions in the Apartment Guides: Waterford Sqare, in the Carolina Place area, still advertises a beautiful pool and amenities they have not had for a year since they had a fire. The complex is in no hurry to fix it meanwhile the tenants are paying for amenities they do not have. I complained to the office several times and there still seems like nothing is done about it. It bothers me that Waterford still submits these pictures to these Apartment Guides. It is false advertising and out of town people, such as yourself will be disappointed.

Bothered by the false advertising this complex does, I called the company who puts out the Apartment Finder and they said "All we do is accept the apartment ads our customers send us. There is no way for us to know if our customers are being truthful or not. We will assume that our customers are telling the truth unless you get a lawyer and take them to court."

Good Luck and be careful. Don't sign any lease until you know it is a complex that is good for you. You don't want to be stuck in a lease in a complex you are not satisfied with. I am leaving this complex since my lease is up and I could not be happier!

Old 08-25-2007, 03:13 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,802,273 times
I would be reluctant to recommend The Pines to you and like the other poster, I drive by it everyday. The Wastewater Treatment plant across the street would be an issue for me as well as reiterate KMWAY's post about the demographics of the residents. I would definitely suggest going a few miles up Old Lancaster Highway toward Ballantyne and checking out the apt's there.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:09 AM

348 posts, read 430,515 times
McAlpine are great. We looked at them with my aunt when she moved here from Miami. Definitely work hard to negotiate with them--don't accept their first price.

She went with Piper Station on Rea Road. The upfront rent was the same, but they return most of the fees after you move out (pet fee, etc), and that ended up making it cheaper than McAlpine. We personally stayed at Marquis Commons which is close to McAlpine when we moved here. It was also very nice.

Good luck!

Moderator cut: Signature violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-04-2007 at 10:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte