Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 09:53 PM

42 posts, read 154,742 times

Advertisements

Don't let anyone talk you out of Monroe. Monroe is great. If you like an area where everyone looks the same, drives the same thing, wants the same things- then Monroe may not be for you. Monroe is a real city. It is not a uber-planned real estate development like Ballantyne. In Monroe, there are rich people in fine homes at the country club. There are also poor people that work in landscaping or at the poultry plant. And there is everything in between because this is a real place that represents real life. Virtually everyone I personally know in Monroe is pretty wealthy. Fine homes, fine cars, vacation homes at the beach and mountains, golf several days each week, etc. etc. And these people all live in Monroe and seem to be getting along pretty well. Monroe is better than what these "know-nothings" are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,988 times
Angry Union County Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexx View Post
We lived in Monroe for a year and half and did not like it at all. We're now getting a house built close to Ballantyne (about 10-15 minutes) in Indian Land, SC in the Legacy Park subdivision. You may want to check out Indian Land because it's not too expensive now, but that will rapidly change, as the area is developing pretty quickly.

saralee said about Monroe "...I suspect it's simply not trendy enough for most transplants," and that's how we felt about it (we moved from Connecticut). It is simply too quiet and doesn't have the nice upscale shopping, restaurants, etc. that we love to frequent.

If you like VERY quiet towns and don't mind driving a bit to get to more developed areas and shopping and what not, then Monroe is for you. Also, if you decide on Monroe make sure your kids are zoned for Porter Ridge, Parkwood, or Sun Valley schools.
I admit that Monroe area schools can be pretty rough, but I wouldn't say that Porter Ridge, Parkwood, or Sun Valley are any better. In fact, they are just as bad, and I've seen enough just to prove it to myself!

Old 07-22-2007, 06:48 PM

293 posts, read 958,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RU4me View Post
I admit that Monroe area schools can be pretty rough, but I wouldn't say that Porter Ridge, Parkwood, or Sun Valley are any better. In fact, they are just as bad, and I've seen enough just to prove it to myself!

Can you back up your statement and fill us in on what you've "seen"?

Old 07-22-2007, 11:00 PM

298 posts, read 565,214 times
We ended up buying in Monroe (on the edge of Indian Trail) and my son will go to Sun Valley middle. You have me worried! The neighborhood (Colonial Village) is very nice and so far I like it.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,216 times
Default buy my house

I live in the Southwinds neighborhood and am looking to sell my house to relocate to Texas. The house is on a corner lot and is 2200 square feet. 3 bedroom 2.5 bathroom, fireplace, huge master bedroom. If you would like more info kgroff28@yahoo.com

Old 07-17-2009, 07:21 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times
I like Monroe a lot. There is lots of shopping there so I don't know what you mean about that? Just about everything you need is on 74 and lots of little cute places to go downtown....I usually go to the PO in Monroe too (w/ traffic on 16, running errands is quicker in Monroe many times), they are so sweet there, they know me by my first name .

There are some shady areas, but nice areas too.

It's not all bright shiny and new, but that's probably why I like it. Lol.

My DH would never live there tho...sigh

Old 07-17-2009, 07:41 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Monroe, for me, is just one long traffic jam on the way to the beach. There are some nice areas there but the downtown is a hole. And to think... The first house we wanted to buy was in Monroe...I'm glad we didn't...

Old 07-17-2009, 07:50 PM

172 posts, read 465,468 times
We live in rural Monroe and like it here. It has all we need on a daily basis and we don't mind driving to the big malls for shopping and eating out. What's great is that most people read or hear certain things and never give it a chance. We're glad though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte