Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 02:54 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,969,096 times

Advertisements

So I saw my neighborhood decorated with new green & black 90 gallon trash cans this afternoon. My neighbors are already using them for trash.

I've used mine for firewood storage.

Update your favorites and bookmarks :: (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Solid+Waste/Community+Resource+Center/Single-Stream+FAQ.htm?header=recycleit.charlottenc.gov - broken link)

Anyone know if this is still a voluntary program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 03:20 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,138,526 times
So you're admitting you don't recycle? Nice...

Old 04-26-2010, 03:42 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,969,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
So you're admitting you don't recycle? Nice...
Bite me... You want to recycle go for it. I think its a waste of my time.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:46 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,237,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Bite me... You want to recycle go for it. I think its a waste of my time.
Is it that much more difficult to put the recyclables into the bin than into the trash?

Old 04-26-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Is it that much more difficult to put the recyclables into the bin than into the trash?
Apparently for lazy, apathetic people it is. Bummer for their children!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:59 PM

83 posts, read 445,450 times
Perhaps the OP can call the City to pick up the 90 gallon recycling bin for someone else to use for the purpose in which it was intended? We haven't received ours yet...hopefully soon but the smaller red bins work fine for now.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:09 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
IMO that's not the question. The question I have is :What is the value? What are the results? What is the cost vis a vi for the "greening"?
Now, before you go off and load your pistols--do you know the answers?

Old 04-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
IMO that's not the question. The question I have is :What is the value? What are the results? What is the cost vis a vi for the "greening"?
Now, before you go off and load your pistols--do you know the answers?
The value is astronomical. Recycling saves energy used to produce new materials, as well as saving the fossil fuels (in the case of plastic) and metals used in the actual product. Plastic alone can be used and recycled indefinitely. Can you imagine the impact that would have on our energy and oil savings??

According to the National Recycling Coalition, the lost energy resulting from the aluminum, plastic, glass, and cardboard that were not recycled was equivalent to:
The amount of electricity consumed by 10 million Americans in one year.
17% of annual nuclear electricity generation in the US.
4.6% of the annual electricity generated from fossil fuels in the US.
6% of the energy produced by coal fired power plants in the US.
The energy supplied from 2% of imported barrels of crude oil into the U.S.
The amount of gasoline used in 6.5 million passenger automobiles in a one year.

If recycling would increase by 50%, we could save $4.8 billion a year in crude oil alone. Talk about being on the road to energy independence! It is BY FAR less expensive to recycle than it is to produce a new product.

As for the "greening", I'm not 100% sure what you mean by that, but clearly the action of recycling in itself is "green." Not only does it preserve and reuse materials, but it saves fossil fuels and virgin timber in addition to preventing carbon emissions from manufacture and landfill.

Do you want me to continue?

Last edited by coastalgirl; 04-26-2010 at 05:01 PM..

Old 04-26-2010, 04:55 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post

Do you want me to continue?
Only if you care to. BTW my question was one that is asking for information. The fact you ask "Do you want me to continue " is only the beginning of me reseraching further so that I may find out the answers to my own questions.

I thank you for your response.
PC

Old 04-26-2010, 05:00 PM

Good! I hope you find some helpful info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte