Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:56 PM

174 posts, read 486,386 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing that Meck county has begun using blinking yellow turn arrows in place of "red arrows," and I wondered if anyone has any insight into this affectation.

At busy intersections, such as those along 51 Pineville-Matthews, the yellow blinking arrows are positively dangerous (in my opinion). Turning west onto 51 from northbound Rea Rd, for instance, is like turning blind. Why'd they stop the safe, calm, definitive red arrows?

Any opinions, experiences?

MC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 02:09 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
I like 'em. To me it is almost like having a stop sign, you just look and make sure nothing is coming. If you don't feel safe then don't turn, simple as that. You will have a green light eventually.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:10 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,026,600 times
Sorry I think it's a great idea, proceed with caution when safe to do so.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:39 PM

63 posts, read 268,208 times
I'm not thrilled with them either. There's one at the intersection of S. Tryon and Erwin Rd. that I've never seen turn green no matter how many cars are in line (even if I'm sitting on the pad right when it turns red), and the blind left turn at S. Tryon and Moss Rd still scares me. I'm a wimp for not wanting to turn left without a clear view of oncoming traffic - I like having a green light to know the other direction has stopped. (Or at least, is supposed to.)

Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 AM

83 posts, read 445,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ech2002 View Post
I'm not thrilled with them either. There's one at the intersection of S. Tryon and Erwin Rd. that I've never seen turn green no matter how many cars are in line (even if I'm sitting on the pad right when it turns red), and the blind left turn at S. Tryon and Moss Rd still scares me. I'm a wimp for not wanting to turn left without a clear view of oncoming traffic - I like having a green light to know the other direction has stopped. (Or at least, is supposed to.)
We turn onto Erwin Rd all the time from S. Tryon and the blinking yellow ligth is really annoying. During rush hour it's almost impossible to turn left onto Erwin Rd and I wish they would give us a green turn light, even for a few seconds. I've waited at that light for a long time before and it doesn't matter.....left arrow never turns green.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,101 times
They are installing these in Kentucky. There are some other states, too. Here is information about them, courtesy of the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.

Kentucky Transportation Cabinet - KYTC (http://transportation.ky.gov/traffic/flashingyellowlights.html - broken link)

Old 05-18-2010, 03:11 PM

174 posts, read 486,386 times
I watched two cars almost get creamed turning on the blinking yellow into oncoming traffic this morning at 51 & Carmel. I have started stopping at the blinking yellow arrow (or, going some way where I don't have to encounter them), so if you're behind me and I'm not turning blind into the oncoming traffic on the blinking yellow arrow, I apologize.

MC

Old 05-18-2010, 07:24 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,920,209 times
These flashing yellows are the biggest waster of taxpayer dollars for any kind of return they provide. I don't see any value in them at all. They confuse many drivers and annoy a chunk more.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:01 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,353,973 times
Normally , I'd refrain from commenting , but this is rather funny!!
I've encountered similar arrows , but usually just stop , or if I can see in both directions , go slowly. Last thing I need now is for my car to be damaged moreso than it currently is.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:43 AM

604 posts, read 1,308,017 times
Not good. The test pilot light was at Johnston Rd and 485. Most folks have no clue. When we take our drivers license exam, there is no flashing yellow light. How do they expect out of towner's to comply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte