Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 05:58 AM

604 posts, read 1,307,478 times

Advertisements

The Federal Aviation Administration is proposing an extension of the Class B airspace around the Charlotte Douglas Airport, which airplanes use when taking off and landing. The plan would expand the airspace to include the area above the city of Lancaster and other points north to the state line.

Last week, some Lancaster residents noticed that the airport had already approved several airplanes to operate in the flight zone above the city, which has a bottom floor of 4,000 feet and a maximum height of 10,000 feet above sea level. With the city of Lancaster situated about 800 feet above sea level, this means planes can fly at about 3,200 feet above the ground in the airspace as part of the new flight plan.

Carolina Gateway News, Sports, Entertainment and information for Indian Land, South Carolina

I have noticed that in the past few weeks that I feel like my house has been moved to the end of the new runway!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 08:26 AM

Anyone who has lived near a Naval Air Station can tell you it is not pleasent.

Any comments about Jet Noise????

Old 05-21-2010, 04:39 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times
I hear it until way after 11pm at night. Very loud and lasts a long time. One night it was almost midnight. Totally ridiculous. I noticed noise before but was "ignorable", but after the new runway opened the noise increased 100 fold and is much louder and lasts later.

I have to get up at 6:30am for work and I really, really don't appreciate being kept awake that late. They may have been here first, but I was here before the new runway and what they want to do now!!! Should never have that kind of noise above residential areas that late at night.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:06 AM

13 posts, read 30,858 times
I guess the big "monument" out at PTL/Regent Park in Fort Mill is going to have to come down really soon then. I think it's already a few stories too high. And the developers were supposed to have a plan in place sometime this month to rehab it and remove the top floors or knock it down.

I used to live off of S. Tryon near Arrowood. The planes took off and landed right over my house. You learn to tune it out most of the time unless you're watching TV or outside talking to a neighbor where it's hard to ignore. Either way, it sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:51 AM

It is bad today!

Old 05-22-2010, 06:33 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Roe View Post
It is bad today!
Yep, it is! I'm in Indian Land with doors and windows shut, air conditioner running and it still is louder than my TV 10 feet away from me.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:22 AM

15 posts, read 59,735 times
One suggestion is to look into window films that reduce sound coming into your home. Call around to various glass and window tinting companies and see what they offer.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:17 AM

218 posts, read 523,093 times
I've been in IL for nearly two years now and as far as I can tell, the planes have been the same since we have lived there. It doesn't bother us at all. They don't seem to be getting any lower than they were before. I notice them mostly when they are landing into a north wind but I can't hear them inside our house, unless it is completely quiet but even then, it is just a faint noise. Maybe it is worse if they are going directly over your house, they seem to always go about a half mile from our house. Maybe my hearing is shot

PS..might get more responses if this were moved to the SC York/Lancaster county board.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 AM

They are directly overhead in the Pleasent Valley area.(Lancaster Co.) Highway 160 and Highway 521.

The newest runway at CLT CLT

Old 05-24-2010, 06:39 AM

The left runway is the newest. You can see the runways are almost exactly North South.

These planes are basically straight on to the runways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte