Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:56 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,857,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungerle View Post
Thanks everyone! This has been very helpful. I can look at a map of Charlotte and view apartments online, but this has proven to give me more insight. If anyone else has any apartment recommendations, that will be greatly appreciated; in the meantime, I am going to check out the areas mentioned.

Thanks Southbound for the consideration of my bf's job still being up in the air. "In the middle" sounded like a large area at the time - but the towns in particular you have named helps to narrow it down for me. Every city has its preferred and not-so-preferred areas, so I really appreciate the help
You're welcome, sungerle. I came down from South Jersey. I'm just west of Gastonia, so have learned the metro from this angle. For what it's worth, if you don't like what you find in the university area, traffic is far less on this side of Charlotte. Those 3 towns will get you in & out of uptown Charlotte quickly. If you can find out if you will be working at home all or most of the time, they give your boyfriend the most flexibility, including Hickory.

Apple has a server farm facility in the works in Maiden, NC which is just south of Hickory. He could go up 321 from 85 or a lot of local east/west roads in Gastonia.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 AM

339 posts, read 718,040 times
Personally, I think Plaza Midwood or NoDa areas would be nice. Kind of a hip, artsy, feel. Local restaurants and watering holes. I lived there when I was your age and loved it! There are apartments to rent there, I lived in the Chase on Commonwealth, or you might even be able to find a townhome or house to rent. I still miss that area to this day. Plus a lot of people your age live there.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 AM

60 posts, read 155,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megan722 View Post
Personally, I think Plaza Midwood or NoDa areas would be nice. Kind of a hip, artsy, feel. Local restaurants and watering holes. I lived there when I was your age and loved it! There are apartments to rent there, I lived in the Chase on Commonwealth, or you might even be able to find a townhome or house to rent. I still miss that area to this day. Plus a lot of people your age live there.
Yes, definitely like to find something young, just because we will be new there and want to meet some people. I have always lived near a major city, so I am excited at having to discover a whole new area. I'm used to DOWNTOWNs however, not uptowns so excuse me for my lack of knowledge... but are Plaza Midwood and NoDa (heard a lot of good things about both) actually in the city? Is there even a downtown haha? So much to learn! But so excited

Old 05-27-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're welcome, sungerle. I came down from South Jersey. I'm just west of Gastonia, so have learned the metro from this angle. For what it's worth, if you don't like what you find in the university area, traffic is far less on this side of Charlotte. Those 3 towns will get you in & out of uptown Charlotte quickly. If you can find out if you will be working at home all or most of the time, they give your boyfriend the most flexibility, including Hickory.

Apple has a server farm facility in the works in Maiden, NC which is just south of Hickory. He could go up 321 from 85 or a lot of local east/west roads in Gastonia.

Hope that helps.
You are extremely helpful!! Thanks I really do appreciate. Whereabouts in South Jersey? I lived in Lakewood in Ocean Co (before lakewood got bad) growing up and now live in Somerset County - central Jersey - by Rutgers.

What you describe sounds perfect. I like the proximity to uptown, but think due to being a little intimidated, those towns seem a better idea for now. I will also have him look into Apple when the facility is up and running. Thanks again!!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:45 PM

248 posts, read 724,392 times
OK.. I just glanced thru all other posts and I think what am suggesting maybe the best for you, in your price range!!

in N.Charlotte.. if you want be near IBM, you should live in Autumn Park. its on IBM drive itself and maybe even walkable to work.

There are other apartments communities around there.. Windsor Vinoy, Bridges and more, Colonial Grand and more!!

Since I am in IT, I can say, the pay rates here are lower than in NJ, but if you look hard and try properly you can get a good pay. When, BoA and Wachovia are the two major giants who hire in everyfield of IT and Finance, there are many other clients, I'd recommend to contact the some consulting companies and try job search thru monster. Thats how I found my gig at BoA

Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,380,752 times
I think Bluetruckguy has some great ideas. When you come down and see where IBM is and how close the apartments he suggests are to it, you'll see what a good idea it is. Harris Blvd. can be a nightmare so the less time on it the better. There's no reason to get on the highways around here if it can be easily avoided. There are a lot of nice shops, restaurants and bars around the Hilton too, I know they used to have live music by the lake on Friday nights. Lots of young people. I miss living up there.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:16 PM

Bluetruckguy and chuckles - thanks a lot! Again, every bit of help is greatly appreciated. I completely agree that I would like to minimize travel time as much as possible, at least until we get to know the area and what traffic is like there. While I have a 12 min commute now.... I have dealt with traffic. Living in the DC area made me realize - 45 min commute for a 10 mile trip... I really do not want to deal with that again if I can help it.. so I am thinking thats the best bet. Thanks - I also will check out those places mentioned. I've seen a lot of the Colonial Grand one.. .I think there is also a new University Place one as well that looked really nice. Sooo many options! Far more than in NJ - rentals are few and far between in my ultra-suburban county... and with "starter homes" in the $400k range, I can't see how I can truly "make it" as a young professional. Our pay may be a little higher, but not generous enough to allow me a $400k mortgage!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:25 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,509,611 times
sungerle.....I moved to the university area from Morris County NJ 2.5 years ago. I just bought a house in highland creek but still have my apartment until July5th. Overall the complex is decent. PM me if you have any specific questions, but quite honestly I'd recommend downtown. I would just be a little careful about some apt complexes downtown, I have a couple of friends who live in downtown apt's and they both say it's a big party environment. good luck!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:50 PM

339 posts, read 718,040 times
Quote:
Yes, definitely like to find something young, just because we will be new there and want to meet some people. I have always lived near a major city, so I am excited at having to discover a whole new area. I'm used to DOWNTOWNs however, not uptowns so excuse me for my lack of knowledge... but are Plaza Midwood and NoDa (heard a lot of good things about both) actually in the city? Is there even a downtown haha? So much to learn! But so excited

Yes they are in the city and I used to work out near IBM when I lived there. It wasn't a bad commute at all and the neighborhood was awesome. Plaza Midwood and NoDa or just the names of neighborhoods/areas of Charlotte. Yes, they are close to downtown but out a few miles. Yes, there is actually a nice downtown area with high rises and the like. Many young people like to live downtown, too, but unless I worked downtown, I, personally would not live there. That's just me tho. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:37 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,857,545 times
Quote:
You are extremely helpful!! Thanks I really do appreciate. Whereabouts in South Jersey? I lived in Lakewood in Ocean Co (before lakewood got bad) growing up and now live in Somerset County - central Jersey - by Rutgers.

What you describe sounds perfect. I like the proximity to uptown, but think due to being a little intimidated, those towns seem a better idea for now. I will also have him look into Apple when the facility is up and running. Thanks again!!
Thanks!

I came down here from Cherry Hill.

I currently live 10 miles west of Gastonia. I had to go to the CMC complex today for a doctor's appointment. It was not rush hour, but during business hours, so obviously more traffic than if you went in the evening or on a weekend. The CMC complex is just outside of uptown. I pass uptown on 277. From my door to the doctor's door it was 50 minutes & that includes parking. I've done the same trip in rush hour several times & it took 5 - 10 minutes longer. This gives you a gauge of the travel time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte