Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 12:46 PM

388 posts, read 617,978 times

Advertisements

I moved out 31st of Mar this year. Today while surfing the city data forum I came across this post where someone from NJ wanted information about Charlotte and I felt the need to throw in my 2.

Charlotte for me has a lot of good and ever lasting memories.

Charlotte was my playground in more ways than one both professionally and personally. A very good learning experience.

Now I know the natives will hate my next statement but let me say it and get it over with. From what I have seen of Charlotte the place has a great natural advantage. I never had to face any hurricane in the last 3 years. The beach is a fair drive away. They have mountains. The weather is not all that bad as it is made out to be. For most part of the year its pretty agreeable. For about 15 -20 unbearably hot summer days one has the option of cooling in the pool or staying in.

With all this at disposal all they have managed to have till date are a couple of big corporate banks that keep the economy running. Bank of America, Wachovia (Now Wells Fargo), TIAA CREF, Duke's Energy, Lowes, Family Dollar one other chain of Banks that has now joined the ranks and GM Bank.

Why dont they attract other industries to their area? Please no silly excuses like we want to preserve our way of life. Life revolves around economy and vice versa. A park like Disney or a movie processing industry or even service industry like IT and Telecom (Dont just quote Raleigh....Im talking about the entire state of NC). Make is a culinary visitors paradise like New Orleans or develop a cultural and artsy backdrop. Charlotte does have history on its side and heritage, then why not build on it and come out and compete with the rest of the states for attention, investment, people and business.

Whenever I discussed this the usual response would be, such development would attract unsavoury elements, congestion and crime. So is slow evolvement the proposed solution? May be I liked Charlotte and hence feel that it has a lot of untapped potential. Or may be what I want is not what the locals desire. But in an increasingly competitive future the locals are not doing their kids any favour by blocking development. Attract more business, make more money, lead a better life.....so what if you need to sacrifice a little rustic element of life in the process..we always have South Carolina a short drive away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 12:55 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,373,896 times
You won't get any disagreement from me Rollingon.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:41 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,815,100 times
So So True RollingOn.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:07 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,406,527 times
I'm with you on this.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,600,641 times
Why would you think the natives would feel any differently than anyone else about getting more corporations here in Charlotte?

The sad facts are . . . we have LOST some of our major employers in the Metro - furniture and textile manufacturers. The work has been contracted overseas. Same thing has happened with many other companies, such as Freightline and Black & Decker. I am sure others can name many more - those are just off the top of my head.

Most corporations relocate b/c they find a better business climate in a different city/region. There are so many variables that go into why a corporation chooses a particular area - from an area having an able, ready workforce to cost of construction/leasing to tax incentives.

It takes folks with imagination and entrepreneurial drive to create new venues, businesses and "trends" in any city . . . plus it takes lenders willing to back those business plans . . . and leaders willing to work with those new businesses. That is true anywhere; it is not a mysterious process.

I am somewhat perplexed why you would think the locals/natives would want to hold anyone back for any reason whatsoever. First of all, less than 1/3 of Charlotte's residents are even Southerners, much less natives. That means the folks who live here at this point in time are NOT even from here - so I would say the future of Charlotte lies in their hands - not in the natives' hands. Those few of us who even live here have the same voice everyone has but nothing more - we can vote, we can start new businesses (if we have the resources) - but that is the same influence everyone here would have.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:07 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,584,163 times
I agree with Ani - why would you think the natives would have a problem with new companies/industries in Charlotte?

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. I would welcome new business of almost any type in Charlotte!

Do I miss the 'old days' when there was less traffic, people were less stressed and more friendly, there were more open spaces, everything cost less? Of course! But that was the Charlotte I grew up in and those days are over.

My livelihood depends on people moving and moving in to Charlotte - keep on coming!!!!

Old 06-07-2010, 01:57 PM

388 posts, read 617,978 times
Hi,

Didnt mean to lump ALL natives into one opinionated basket. But most people when faced with a discussion about new industries were against it. Take the example of University Area, how come a place connected by bus has a thriving student population, strategically placed for a train line (long overdue, yet in planning stages). Huntersville another area with an existing train line that needs to be put to daily use. Are natives not aware of what they have? Iam sure they do yet people havent been agitating to get the line started.

Some mentioned the loss of carpentry and other manufacturing facilities. I feel for the craftsmen and those with skilled trade who cant transition their skills into a new industry. But then looking to the future one cant moan the reality of outsourcing manufacturing to more cost effective centres. It has happened all through history and it wont stop anytime now. But why moan the loss of an industry that cut trees and green cover? Why not focus on trapping an ever present solar energy and making charlotte the hub of invention for renewable enegery? Research for photovoltic panels. May be even manufacture efficient systems. Create Charlotte's new identity as the finance capital. A place for creating new food products. A destination where people can come in for great medical care. A city that provides innovative solutions that increase efficiency of hospitals. A place that analyzes ways to utilize unsued facilities.

If you have a city of bankers, people who are good with numbers there is no limit to what you can do with that collective capital. If someone can count they can increase and decrease factors in different industries that can push up profits and push down losses. People in Charlotte are no laggards. But not doing enough to attract others to their city of joy is keeping them where they want to be.......hidden...unless discovered by a passerby.

Attract more.....you have the voice and use it in the street.....not in little conversations around dinner table or over port. A long time resident of Charlotte and my colleague of 3 years once remarked the influential in Charlotte are a bunch of wine sippers. Too bad...cos they are not loosing anything. The ones on forums like City data are.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,596,990 times
North Carolina is ranked 3rd in Movie & TV production.
Right under L.A. and NYC. countless of movies & telivision shows where produce
here. I was an extra in Wilmington for Matlock and my twin was an extra for
Teen Age Mutant Turtles.
Movies Filmed In North Carolina

Once you leave you really going to miss on what this
state has to offer it can be the promise land and so can Charlotte if you allow yourself
to experience the culture.
I have a list 101 things you must do in NC
before you up and die I dont to have list finish yet maybe I should start a list of what I have done

The next two places is my favorite
Outer Banks
Mount Mitchell
both places cherish what North Carolina is known for its beauty.

One thing me and my sweetheart have agreed on is this place
to retire.
Pleasure Island

North Carolina & Charlotte is not for everyone good thing oh well keeps this place from becoming over crowded.

Your in the minority
Look how many people now call North Carolina Home.
Internal migration 2000-2006: +347,005
International migration 2000-2006: +180,986
https://www.city-data.com/city/North-Carolina.html

See Ya Dont let the Screen Door Hit YA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte