Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:39 PM

67 posts, read 227,030 times

Advertisements

is there anyone who is at present doing a small home business and allowing the public to come? Something like a fruit stand.

I sell herbs and want to purchase a place where I can sell them from my own residence ( and pick my own hours and days) instead of going to the farmers markets.

I am considering any place in ROWAN, MECKINBURGH, UNION, GASTON counties NC
maybe another if it is nearby.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 03:03 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,741,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastaBell View Post
is there anyone who is at present doing a small home business and allowing the public to come? Something like a fruit stand.

I sell herbs and want to purchase a place where I can sell them from my own residence ( and pick my own hours and days) instead of going to the farmers markets.

I am considering any place in ROWAN, MECKINBURGH, UNION, GASTON counties NC
maybe another if it is nearby.

Thanks!
Check each county's website for zoning information. If you live in a town you'd have to check the town's zoning. If you have the public come to your house, it's a zoning matter.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:09 PM

thanks, that's pretty much what I was wanting to know.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:06 PM

169 posts, read 318,583 times
You might be better off sending information to restaurants who could use your herbs instead of waiting for people to come by but then businesses can always be demanding if your products fall off. Some owners even have their own gardens instead of relying on outsiders. It's hard to build client base if they have to drive, especially if gas goes higher, and hours are irregular with limited selection unless you are on a major thoroughfare. The people who sell flowers along side of the road are there rain or shine day in and day out and I would prefer a farmer's market because everyone has a clue where they are and have a wide selection of items to chose from. Maybe even selling to grocery stores might be an option.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:42 PM

thanks golden phoenix.. the herbs that I sell are culinary and some medicinal. I used to sell at the farmers market in WNC and did very well. But here where I am near Statesville it seems that there are local yokuls and they won't try the herbs. Hickory is full, which would have been ideal. Also, the cost at many of these farmers markets is prohibitive for me. I have tried the resturants, but since I'm not selling the fresh herbs, that doesn't work either. I thought that if I were on a busy road near Charlotte that I would get the clientel that I want. People that are not afraid to cook and try new things.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:12 PM

852 posts, read 2,470,284 times
There is a fruit/vegetable stand at a petrol station on providence road and ballantyne commons and it is always very busy. I have always thought it was a great idea and perhaps you could try another corner with a business and ask to set up your stand. Great idea though.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:21 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,741,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastaBell View Post
thanks golden phoenix.. the herbs that I sell are culinary and some medicinal. I used to sell at the farmers market in WNC and did very well. But here where I am near Statesville it seems that there are local yokuls and they won't try the herbs. Hickory is full, which would have been ideal. Also, the cost at many of these farmers markets is prohibitive for me. I have tried the resturants, but since I'm not selling the fresh herbs, that doesn't work either. I thought that if I were on a busy road near Charlotte that I would get the clientel that I want. People that are not afraid to cook and try new things.
So what is it that you're selling? Herbal mixtures? Are you growing them?

Old 05-30-2010, 06:45 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,256,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
so what is it that you're selling? Herbal mixtures? Are you growing them?

herb?? Did someone say herb????????

:d

Old 05-30-2010, 07:10 PM

169 posts, read 318,583 times
Since they are dried why not try online? You would have a wider audience. There was a blind gentelman in LA that sold pepper and after a write up I ordered some.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:17 PM

163 posts, read 357,074 times
alright, here is what I do; I grow the herbs, dry them and make recipes (from cookbooks, my own etc.) and put the amount of herbs needed in a plastic bag. I also do teas, bath bags, sleep pillows, sleep jars.
I have been doing this down south here in WNC for 10 years. Up in Northern NYS in the adirondacks, I did medicinal only for over 25 years. It's all I know is herbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte