Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:13 AM
CVP CVP started this thread

581 posts, read 1,910,984 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your replies and DM's. They are freezing their credit and I sadly realize that without prosecution, nothing else can be done. The kids are considering asking their grandmother (their dad's mother) for the money to cover the bills. She has helped her son some in the past and she's done, but maybe she will decide to help her grandchildren, given the situation. Poor woman. I feel sorry for everyone involved in this mess. His actions have devastated multiple families over the years. I don't know how he sleeps at night.

You are right lumbollo, bajanqueen and Robhu. I've done all I can and I need to let it go. I've told my kids that they have to live with their choices and I will not provide any financial support related to this debt. It breaks my heart.

His actions do have a direct impact on me as well. Our divorce decree states he is responsible for college tuition. He agreed to this 15 years ago. Since he has nothing now, I will be paying for everything here going forward. I will not dump this on the kids shoulders on top of everything else.

I will try to let this go. It's hard though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 05:16 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,379,666 times
I wouldn't pressure your sons into pressing charges against their father. Regardless of his actions, it is still their father and there is a lot of emotions involved. I've dealt with similar situations. They are already feeling betrayed by his actions, they don't need to deal with your private agenda because of your feelings for him. It is a no win situation, nobody wants to see a parent behind bars, and unfortunately, they didn't pick their father (actually, that was you).
Do have them protect their credit from any future abuse by freezing it. And have them write letters to the credit agencies saying it is not their account, and they would like verification of signatures and whatever other identification check the credit company did. If they cannot verify it within 30 days, they have to remove it.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:23 AM
CVP CVP started this thread

581 posts, read 1,910,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
I wouldn't pressure your sons into pressing charges against their father. Regardless of his actions, it is still their father and there is a lot of emotions involved. I've dealt with similar situations. They are already feeling betrayed by his actions, they don't need to deal with your private agenda because of your feelings for him. It is a no win situation, nobody wants to see a parent behind bars, and unfortunately, they didn't pick their father (actually, that was you).
This is exactly the case. The kids don't want to send him to jail and I understand how they feel. Believe me, I've wished many times I had never met him, yet I have to two smart, beautiful kids as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Do have them protect their credit from any future abuse by freezing it. And have them write letters to the credit agencies saying it is not their account, and they would like verification of signatures and whatever other identification check the credit company did. If they cannot verify it within 30 days, they have to remove it.
They are afraid if they write letters, this will get their dad in trouble. They are so emotionally manipulated by him.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 AM

169 posts, read 319,036 times
As they mature they will find out what I.D. fraud is all about, unfortunately and if by chance they do not file a police report to protect themselves those creditors may get default judgments and garnish their wages and that will take a long time, years, and maybe just then they will have learned why they cannot enjoy life like so many others. In this situation ignorance is not bliss. You have done what you could so move on.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:27 AM

104 posts, read 310,248 times
Unfortunately, your children have two issues to deal with, the debt and a father with severe mental illness. Bipolar disorder can be devastating to the whole family. If your ex has a therapist he is currently working with I would highly suggest that your children have some sessions with the therapist. (if they not already done so) They will have to learn the bounderies and tools that they will need to deal with this situation. What they think might be helping their father may actually be hurting him. I am sorry that your children have to be put in this position.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 AM

11,839 posts, read 29,045,767 times
If your children ask you to co-sign for credit cards or loans don't do it.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:18 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,132 times
CVP - I sent you a DM.

Also, wanted to say I hope your ex mother-in-law does NOT bail your ex out again. I know it would seem like she is bailing your kids out but all that would do is enable the ex to do it again!!!!

As long as everyone continues to bail this creep out or is afraid to put him in jail, etc. he will continue......

Old 06-08-2010, 11:35 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,826,557 times
I would suggest that your kids write letters to the institutions that say that they owe money. Simply state that they did not apply for or use the credit lines. That's it. It should be plain & clear, from their signatures that they did not open the credit line. They are not obliged to name their father.

At that point, as has been said, let it go.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:09 PM

595 posts, read 1,627,459 times
You might be able to clear the credit reports without filing charges. Just file letters with all the CRAs (Equifax, Experian, Transunion) and dispute the accounts.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:18 PM

54 posts, read 195,035 times
Your children also need to consider the fact that employers & potential employers may also run credit checks on them. This could have a negative impact on them for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: