Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 AM

62 posts, read 189,135 times

Advertisements

Is there a place in Charlotte to obtain an EIN, register a business name, get a state tax ID number?

There seem to be a million company's on the interent that will do this for a large fee, however, I'd prefer to do this myself. The IRS has the option to apply for EIN online, and NC has forms on the web to print and mail in, but I'm wondering if there is a place in Charlotte to do this in person?

Also, do I register the business name before applying for an EIN?

Any help is appreciated here.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 11:16 AM

396 posts, read 975,385 times
You need to register your business name first to make sure it isn't being used elsewhere. You usually do that with the county. The EIN # you do online with the IRS and they give you the number right away. Or you can call the IRS and do it over the phone.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:28 AM

5,127 posts, read 2,608,393 times
You didn't elaborate whether or not it will be LLC or Corp or ______.

A good place to start is here:
http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/corporations/

Old 06-08-2010, 11:37 AM

An LLC

From what I can find online, an LLC has to be registered with the state, not the county.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:48 PM

5,127 posts, read 2,608,393 times
That is correct, LLC and Corps are state entities. The county doesn't have anything to do with it.

After registering, Starting a Business is the place to start for IRS specific stuff, such as determining whether or not you need an EIN.

LLC is a pass-through entity, so sometimes they aren't really needed. However, if you plan on getting credit & such in the business name, I'd certainly look to get one anyway. These days it is going to be difficult to get any business-only type of credit that isn't PG (personal guarantee) by you anyway.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:17 PM

169 posts, read 318,848 times
Depending on the entity you should also get a stamp and stock certificates. You may need the stamp to open a checking account, at least I did. There is a place on the southwest side.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:56 AM

595 posts, read 1,626,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanyj31 View Post
Is there a place in Charlotte to obtain an EIN, register a business name, get a state tax ID number?
Get EIN from IRS online: https://sa.www4.irs.gov/modiein/individual/index.jsp

NC State Tax ID: http://www.dornc.com/downloads/fillin/NCBR_webfill.pdf

North Carolina Taxes | North Carolina Department of Commerce

Quote:
There seem to be a million company's on the interent that will do this for a large fee, however, I'd prefer to do this myself.
It is easy, don't pay someone on the internet.

Quote:
The IRS has the option to apply for EIN online, and NC has forms on the web to print and mail in, but I'm wondering if there is a place in Charlotte to do this in person?
If you want to do EIN in person, you need to goto the IRS Headquarters in Washington DC. For NC forms in person, you need to go to Raleigh. No place in Charlotte to do either in person

Quote:
Also, do I register the business name before applying for an EIN?
File the LLC with NC first (this will register the business name), then file for the EIN with the IRS.

Other helpuful links:

New Business Start-up Checklist | North Carolina Department of Commerce

BLNC - Starting a New Business

Old 06-10-2010, 02:49 PM

198 posts, read 643,603 times
My business is an LLC as well. I run it out of my home (I'm a photographer), so I needed a zoning permit too. So you'd need that if you plan to work from home.

Also, certain professions require a Privilege License, so check to see if yours requires that.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:55 AM

Thanks everyone. Where do I go in Charlotte to get the privilege License? Does the cost of the Privilege License vary or is it a set price? How much (range is fine)? Also, will I need a zoning permit if I have a web-based business with no real business location? I'll be managing it out of my home, but will have no customers or clients coming and going.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:21 AM

604 posts, read 1,310,399 times
Don't forget the privilege license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: