Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:59 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,790,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
John - please be aware that there are tons of people from NJ in all parts of the Charlotte region. You're free to move to wherever you want but be aware the "West of Charlotte" area you're referring to is rather remote and you might miss out on a lot of the reasons people move to "Charlotte" to begin with.
chuckles, have you ever been west of Charlotte? The area that he is looking at is closer, geographically, than much of Union County . He is interested in possible employment at the airport. The area that he is looking at is the prime location for suburban access to the airport.

You consistantly badmouth this area & refer to it as remote. I would suggest that you check a map.

He is from South Jersey which is where I moved from. I have 1st hand knowledge of each of the towns that John said that he lived in. You have stated that you are from Bergen County. I sincerely doubt if you know anything about the South Jersey locations that we discussed. He is interested in being in an area where he is convenient to the airport, in a suburban location, and where South Jersey people are more likely to be. Where do you suggest fits his request better?

Last edited by southbound_295; 06-10-2010 at 08:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,376,005 times
Southbound, I mean no disrespect. I'm not sure why I finally decided to say something in regards to the constant recommendations to this part of the state because this is indeed one thread in which it makes sense. As I said, he is free to live wherever he wants and you are free to recommend your town to whomever you want. And I am free to determine what areas of the state I see as "remote". Mea culpa.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Southbound, I mean no disrespect. I'm not sure why I finally decided to say something in regards to the constant recommendations to this part of the state because this is indeed one thread in which it makes sense. As I said, he is free to live wherever he wants and you are free to recommend your town to whomever you want. And I am free to determine what areas of the state I see as "remote". Mea culpa.
chuckles, I don't live in Gastonia, or Belmont, or Mt Holly. I live in City of Kings Mountain, which is ~ 10 miles west of Gastonia. I live just across the border into Cleveland County (cheaper taxes, good schools). If you ever took the time to read my recommendations, even if I mention my town, I mention other locations as well.

I live about 2 miles from exit 10 off I 85. Using I85 & 74, I can be in Uptown Charlotte faster that many people who live in areas that you do not consider remote, because of lack of traffic. Be my guest & tell me that I live in the hinterlands, but telling people who are looking in Gaston County that it is remote is just plain wrong & does them a disservice.

I can also be at the mall or any main shopping area of Gastonia faster than I could be across town in Cherry Hill, where I used to live,

Old 06-10-2010, 08:34 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,466,802 times
Quote:
but be aware the "West of Charlotte" area you're referring to is rather remote and you might miss out on a lot of the reasons people move to "Charlotte" to begin with.
You are incorrect. The area he is researching are about 7 - 15 miles from the airport and just a few more miles from uptown. The area isn't podunk or anything. There are the same generic stores and restaurant chains that can be found in Charlotte. Traveling to other areas doesn't take a long time. For example my friends in the Belmont/Gastonia area can get to South Park in just about the same time it takes me and I live in Steele Creek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John9181
According to southbound_295 there is a good amount of transplants in that part of town. He is from South Jersey as well. I'm liking Gastonia. I'm still in progress of researching that area but from what I can tell so far is that it's not far from the city, and has a good elementary school. Gardner Park Elementary. Are you familiar with that school? It shows that it's off of Rt 29/74. What is that particular area known as? Our plan is to rent for a year then buy a home. What kind of area/home would we be able to rent in the range of $800-$1000 a month? Our price range to buy a home would be around the $200,000 range.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
You are incorrect. The area he is researching are about 7 - 15 miles from the airport and just a few more miles from uptown. The area isn't podunk or anything. There are the same generic stores and restaurant chains that can be found in Charlotte. Traveling to other areas doesn't take a long time. For example my friends in the Belmont/Gastonia area can get to South Park in just about the same time it takes me and I live in Steele Creek.
Thank you, NCgirl. +3

Old 06-11-2010, 08:04 PM

John, another thing to be aware of down here is that there is no Pathmark, ShopRite, or Acme Aldi is here & Trader Joe's is in Charlotte (3 locations).

These are the local chains.

Food Lion Food Lion

Harris Teeter Harris Teeter - Your Neighborhood Food Market

Lowes Foods Home - LFS

Ingles is based in Asheville & is moving toward Charlotte. Right now the nearest is Dallas, which isn't far from Gastonia, but I've heard that they are looking at locations in East Gastonia & Belmont. Ingles Markets - Grocery Stores, Supermarkets, Pharmacies

There's also a nice farmers market in Gastonia.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:53 PM

7 posts, read 19,146 times
We moved to South Charlotte and our children go to Queens Grant, a charter school. We love it!

Old 06-13-2010, 09:31 AM

78 posts, read 125,308 times
As it stands right now my area of interest is Gastonia. I am keeping my options open to other areas. So if anyone knows any that could meet what I'm looking for please suggest. I'm interested in an area with the things I've listed below. No particular order though of course.

1) Suburban community but preferably no more than a 35 minute drive to the city.

2) Good schools. I have an 8 year old daughter and want the best I could possibly find for her.

3) The least amount of crime the better. I know it exists everywhere though.

4) Nice neighborhood. I don't have to be in the richest neighborhood but I don't want to be near the slums either. I just want a nice community that is safe with nice homes.

5) A good sports bar (preferably Buffalo Wild Wings) nearby. This isn't really a priority that is important but I just thought I'd throw it out there lol

Old 06-13-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John9181 View Post
As it stands right now my area of interest is Gastonia. I am keeping my options open to other areas. So if anyone knows any that could meet what I'm looking for please suggest. I'm interested in an area with the things I've listed below. No particular order though of course.

1) Suburban community but preferably no more than a 35 minute drive to the city.

2) Good schools. I have an 8 year old daughter and want the best I could possibly find for her.

3) The least amount of crime the better. I know it exists everywhere though.

4) Nice neighborhood. I don't have to be in the richest neighborhood but I don't want to be near the slums either. I just want a nice community that is safe with nice homes.

5) A good sports bar (preferably Buffalo Wild Wings) nearby. This isn't really a priority that is important but I just thought I'd throw it out there lol
John, this will get you pitches for the whole metro area, mostly South Charlotte & Union County. I based my initial suggestions on your interest in potential work at the airport. (& suburban)

Old 06-13-2010, 09:56 AM

78 posts, read 125,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
John, this will get you pitches for the whole metro area, mostly South Charlotte & Union County. I based my initial suggestions on your interest in potential work at the airport. (& suburban)
Yeah I know. And I think it was a really good suggestion. That's why right now it's at the top of the list so far. I just want to keep my options open before I settle for one spot. But I did find out that there is a Buffalo Wild Wings in Gastonia. That's a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte