Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,003 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, sorry for another one of these threads, but I need some advice. I'm a medical student who is about to graduate and enter residency. We have to rank the places we'd like to go by the 20th, and I'm having some difficulty deciding what I want to do. One of the programs I really liked was UVA, but I have some concerns about moving to Charlottesville. I'm a single female from halfway across the country, so I know no one in the area. Additionally, I will be working a lot, so that really limits my time to meet people and make friends. From what I could tell, the town seemed to be almost entirely undergrads, families, and retirees. Is that totally off base? I'm just trying to make sure I'm not miserable being so far from home.

Also, is there any chance I'll be able to afford a small house/condo, or will I only be able to rent? I realize that's a broad question, just wondering what you guys think.

Any other advice on whether a single person should or shouldn't move to Charlottesville? I wasn't especially fond of my college town in undergrad, so how much does the that culture permeate everything? I can deal with being around drunk idiots every once in a while, but really don't need it on a daily basis.

Thanks for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 05:59 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,754,488 times
If you're looking at medical programs to enroll in, UVa would be a great opportunity for you. Charlottesville isn't bad for someone in your situation. I grew up in Charlottesville and for me it became too small and too expensive so I moved to Florida in 2004. But...I think you'd like the area. I would recommend renting before buying to see if you really like the area. There are plenty of rentals in the area from complexes to private rooms in houses. You'd need to check online resources to see the rental ranges and what you can afford. Charlottesville is a beautiful area but UVa owns the town of course. Unless you choose to live right around the grounds of the University, you shouldn't have too many interactions with students on a daily basis. When you're checking out rentals, make sure you check to see where they are located in regards to the medical center. The closer to the medical center, the more expensive it's going to be mainly because of convenience.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 6,003 times
I'm actually almost done with med school, so I'm not looking for a program to enroll in, per se. The next part of our training is residency, and while we get input into where we'd like to go, we don't actually get to choose. I'm trying to figure out which place will be my #1, and UVA is one of those options. Thanks for the reply--anyone else have any thoughts?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 AM

32 posts, read 138,234 times
UVA has a fabulous reputation and if you have the opportunity to do your residency there, I think that will be an excellent experience. I also think it is a large enough university (with a large medical center) that you should be surrounded by plenty of people in a similar situation as yourself as well as with similar interests. I think if you are with medical residents, then you should be able to meet a lot of people within the UVA community that you should be fine. I think it is large enough that you could separate yourself from any drunken undergrads, if that is what you wish. I think that would be more of a valid concern at a smaller/lesser known hospital system or university. Plus, upon completion of your residency, having UVA training on your resume will only serve you well no matter where you choose to relocate in the future. Best of luck to you with your match.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,172 times
I made the move in October. Entirely unconnected to the area with no friends but I love it so far. However I can't help but feel this town is small, isolated and mostly college students. I moved here after getting my dream job offer out of college so I was in a similar situation (young, single) except male. I found it easy to meet people through my hobbies/activities, but I am also very socially outgoing. The town itself is a step above a small town in feel. Tons of shopping and dining, but access to mountains as well as lots of good wine/beer. To be honest: also lots of mediocre to terrible wine and beer haha.

The biggest drawback I have with the area is the price of housing. It is WAY too expensive for the area. There is of course student housing which is affordable, but you are talking $1,000+ plus to rent a decent one bedroom apartment. The alternative if you don't know anyone is to go with a random roommate if that suits you. Housing is comparable or even cheaper (at least more variety) where I grew up in a DC suburb. This fact along with the lack of other young professionals kind of makes it so I can't wait to move, despite loving it in the short term.

Bottom line, it depends on your personality. There is a lot of good nightlife and opportunity to be social if you choose to be, even with limited time.

Last edited by saccaromyces_c; 02-25-2013 at 02:36 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,550 times
If you like to eat and you like music, Charlottesville is the town for you. I think of it as a Town that feels like a City or a City that feels like a Town. Good people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville